WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Six Moon Designs - Starlite

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Good reviews? Yes.

Seen on the A.T. much this past year? Um, no.
    I don't understand this logic. Just because you didn't see it on the trail it's not a pack worth considering? Not trying to start anything JT, just befuddled...lol

I highly recommend the SMD Starlite. I was one on the AT this year that had this pack...and last year. I have carried up to 40lbs in comfort to waaaay lighter and had great comfort. The dual stays with large belt n pockets is a mere 34oz. in pack weight.

The G5 would be my second choice in UL packs.

I just sold my SMD Starlite and I'm going to purchase a ULA Catalyst when Brian gets back. I know its not a UL pack, but when it comes to comfort and the rest of my gear is UL. I will enjoy the trail as much as if I had a 16oz pack. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    I understand out west,but not on the AT.
    R U trying to say that what is considered UL out west may not be considered UL out east??? I never heard of anything so bazarre!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Not always, UL is about the gear, I hike for long periods in the desert, I gotsta carry lots of water and food for a week, that right there puts me in need of a frame.

Like I said earlier, the cut off for UL isn't a cut and dry line.
    I understand out west,but not on the AT.
    I believe Slow is agreeing with taildragger that you must carry lots of food and water out west, but stating it is not necessary to do so on the AT since water sources and towns are more abundant.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Default Jack what are you smoking

Slow, excuse me for asking, but have you thru-hiked?

If so, what did you use?

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for most folks to thru in a pack that was smaller than 3000 cubes, and there are very few packs weighing a pound that offer ANYTHING in terms of frame, support, hip belts, etc.

NatureJunkie:

The most popular packs this past year on the Trail were Osprey, Granite Gear, Go-Lite, ULA and Gregory, and virtually NONE of them were less than 3000 inches or less than a pound. Most of them were between 3200 and 4000 ounces, and most weighed up to three and a half pounds.
    Jack you really need to quit smoking. It is affecting your judgment. A thru-hike can easy be done with less than 3000 cu/in. Doing my first thru-hike, I wasn’t carrying anything that big and that was 19 years ago. The gear has gotten a lot lighter sense then. You even seen me hike a 280 mile stretch in March doing NH, TN, GA when it was cold out without any problem carrying my REI Flash UL 1050 cu/in.

You are correct, there are few packs weighing a pound that offer a frame or support but they are also design for ultra-light backpacking - most do have a weak version of a hip belt. A hiker carrying less than 15 pounds total weight is not going to need that stuff.

Someone carrying a 3000 cu/in, I wouldn’t even classify as going UL. They are obvious carrying extra weight and after carrying a 100+ miles, I’m sure they know it too.

The best pack I found so far has been the REI Flash UL. Cost $25.

Wolf

Quick correction. "You even seen me hike a 280 mile stretch in March doing NH, TN, GA when it was cold out without any problem carrying my REI Flash UL 1050 cu/in."

That was NC, TN, GA not "NH" as I posted. Sorry about the typo.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I believe Slow is agreeing with taildragger that you must carry lots of food and water out west, but stating it is not necessary to do so on the AT since water sources and towns are more abundant.
    Yes..that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Jack you really need to quit smoking. It is affecting your judgment. A thru-hike can easy be done with less than 3000 cu/in. Doing my first thru-hike, I wasn’t carrying anything that big and that was 19 years ago. The gear has gotten a lot lighter sense then. You even seen me hike a 280 mile stretch in March doing NH, TN, GA when it was cold out without any problem carrying my REI Flash UL 1050 cu/in.

You are correct, there are few packs weighing a pound that offer a frame or support but they are also design for ultra-light backpacking - most do have a weak version of a hip belt. A hiker carrying less than 15 pounds total weight is not going to need that stuff.

Someone carrying a 3000 cu/in, I wouldn’t even classify as going UL. They are obvious carrying extra weight and after carrying a 100+ miles, I’m sure they know it too.

Wolf
    Thank you.

Just cant see on this fourm,how you can fill a 3000 pack 4 day hike?

Just bought a Gregory z55

3350 cu in/3lb 5oz

I'm happy with the purchase thus far.

Thank you.

Depends on the season, I think that a winter load could do it (tarp, 0* quilt, sleeping pad, and food, survival kit, anything else?)

The bag and food needed could do it (if you've been hiking, if you're just out for 4 days, you wouldn't eat enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post

Wolf
    Mind telling me what you use for shelter, sleeping, etc. ? Are you carrying

part of your gear on the outside of the pack ?

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0UL%20Day%20Pa
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Default Wouldn't it really depend ?............

Thank you.

Wouldn't it really depend on time of year, etc. And also I notice you limit us to

four days. Is this forum now limited to four day hikers only ?

I have worked hard and put a lot of effort into reducing my pack weight over

the years while staying safe.

I pitched the "scales" because I happen to think that kind of thinking might

just be a sickness, at least it was for me.

Now you tell me Mr. Slow if I have the right to post here as a

"ultralight" backpacker or not.

If my shoulder has mended I will go the first week of Feb. 2009 with this.

All weights are "claimed" but mostly right on when I did check them.

Old style Go-light Breeze ruck 15 oz. 3400 ci to 3600 ci with rolled down

collar.

Feathered Friends / Lark with Epic. 38 oz. I am a cold sleeper and don't like

getting up to do the "hotrocks" thing ! Experience of hiking the AT between

Springer and Dicks Creek Gap in Feb and March has taught me it can get

down in the teens. My 40 degree bag just isn't enough yet.

Six-Moons Designs/ Lunar Solo Enhanced 23 OZ. After years and years of

bugs, deet, etc. I said screw it and went this style, but still have and use a

sil-nylon tarp for fair weather hikes with the grand-kids. Showing off don't

you know.

CD 48" Ridge-rest ...9 oz.

If my math is correct that is 5 lbs 5 oz winter pack big four I think you call it ?

hmmm how do I fill it up.

MSR Ti pot and spoon, esbit stove and 10 1/2 oz tabs., WM Flight Jacket on

top for camp,one dry outfit to get into two extra pair of socks, Redledge rain

jacket,homemade rain kilt, rain mitts, lite weight gloves, 1 oz of alcohol for my

diabetic feet, one film canister that has my homemade sewing and

emergency kit in it including a P-38, 1 oz peppermint soap, one lite weight

chamois, a few campeads for hot spots on my feet as a blister can end my

hike, a Black diamond Inon light. One 1 liter Platapus, 3 gal water bag maybe,

and a 4 oz used OJ bottle I keep handy for sipping while climbing those long

UPs. And last but not least a pair of homemade camp sandles (approx 2 oz. if

you want to know, lol)..

Not sure which camera I will take yet, but leaning toward a old film camera

that is small and light, yet makes a good slide. I don't trust the Sony digital

I have

When the temps allow it I will send the Lark home and trade it for my WM

highlite, and maybe add my shorty CD prolite.

So where am I Mr Slow ? Kinda looks like to me that its a flux and unsettled

issue maybe ?

For just 4 days and 40 to 50 degree nights I could and would go with lots

less, or maybe not.

Being a tad more specific about who, what, when, where and how might be

more helpful to us all as we trim oz's without compromising our safety.

I answered your question Slow, now please answer mine. How many CI's is

your pack ? when and where do you use it ? What do you carry in it ?

I am being serious here. Last time I did anything on the AT was Feb. of 2006.

I left Springer with just over 17 lbs total, this included 4 days food and one

liter of water. The old Breeze was full but comfy. Was I way heavy ? I needed

that extra days food to get to Neals Gap as there was snow storm my first

night out and the hiking got slow and COLD ! Seeing the Fox walk along side

me in the snow made it worth while though !!

Simple and light are great goals, but I must add reliable, value, and durable to

my consideration.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Don't you know

1) ULers never post gear lists, your now just an L hiker
    2) 4 days is the longest "ULers" go w/o resupply, they don't go longer since its no longer UL to do so (or they forage)
    3) Gear doesn't go IN the bag, you wear it, dual purpose ya know
    4) Weights are less in higher altitudes, and if you fill you items with helium

Gadgeteer: In re. to your post #41 above, nowhere did I imply or suggest that the Six Moon pack shouldn't be considered. What I SAID was that while it has indded got some good reviews, it was not frequently seen on the A.T. this year. This was in no way meant to be a criticism of the pack in question, it was merely a statement of fact, based on my interaction and observation of hundreds of hikers this year. As the pack becomes better known, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of them out there.

And Wolf: Many thanks for your kind suggestion that I consider quitting smoking cigarettes. You may be surprised to know that in three days, I'll celebrate one year without 'em. So despite your comment, I don't think Camels are affecting my judgment these days.

Yes..that was my point.
    Thank U for clearing up my confusion! No foul No harm

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!
    To answer your first question, whatever volume your gear occupies.

As to the 2nd, there is no right answer as it would vary from hiker to hiker.

Those are the truly correct answers. I can list my favorites all day long but they may not fit you correctly or may not hold all your gear just because the hold mine. Nail down the rest of your kit before looking for a pack and try on as many as necessary till you find what fits just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzzzdyd View Post
    Wouldn't it really depend on time of year, etc. And also I notice you limit us to

four days. Is this forum now limited to four day hikers only ?

I have worked hard and put a lot of effort into reducing my pack weight over

the years while staying safe.

I pitched the "scales" because I happen to think that kind of thinking might

just be a sickness, at least it was for me.

Now you tell me Mr. Slow if I have the right to post here as a

"ultralight" backpacker or not.

If my shoulder has mended I will go the first week of Feb. 2009 with this.

All weights are "claimed" but mostly right on when I did check them.

Old style Go-light Breeze ruck 15 oz. 3400 ci to 3600 ci with rolled down

collar.

Feathered Friends / Lark with Epic. 38 oz. I am a cold sleeper and don't like

getting up to do the "hotrocks" thing ! Experience of hiking the AT between

Springer and Dicks Creek Gap in Feb and March has taught me it can get

down in the teens. My 40 degree bag just isn't enough yet.

Six-Moons Designs/ Lunar Solo Enhanced 23 OZ. After years and years of

bugs, deet, etc. I said screw it and went this style, but still have and use a

sil-nylon tarp for fair weather hikes with the grand-kids. Showing off don't

you know.

CD 48" Ridge-rest ...9 oz.

If my math is correct that is 5 lbs 5 oz winter pack big four I think you call it ?

hmmm how do I fill it up.

MSR Ti pot and spoon, esbit stove and 10 1/2 oz tabs., WM Flight Jacket on

top for camp,one dry outfit to get into two extra pair of socks, Redledge rain

jacket,homemade rain kilt, rain mitts, lite weight gloves, 1 oz of alcohol for my

diabetic feet, one film canister that has my homemade sewing and

emergency kit in it including a P-38, 1 oz peppermint soap, one lite weight

chamois, a few campeads for hot spots on my feet as a blister can end my

hike, a Black diamond Inon light. One 1 liter Platapus, 3 gal water bag maybe,

and a 4 oz used OJ bottle I keep handy for sipping while climbing those long

UPs. And last but not least a pair of homemade camp sandles (approx 2 oz. if

you want to know, lol)..

Not sure which camera I will take yet, but leaning toward a old film camera

that is small and light, yet makes a good slide. I don't trust the Sony digital

I have

When the temps allow it I will send the Lark home and trade it for my WM

highlite, and maybe add my shorty CD prolite.

So where am I Mr Slow ? Kinda looks like to me that its a flux and unsettled

issue maybe ?

For just 4 days and 40 to 50 degree nights I could and would go with lots

less, or maybe not.

Being a tad more specific about who, what, when, where and how might be

more helpful to us all as we trim oz's without compromising our safety.

I answered your question Slow, now please answer mine. How many CI's is

your pack ? when and where do you use it ? What do you carry in it ?

I am being serious here. Last time I did anything on the AT was Feb. of 2006.

I left Springer with just over 17 lbs total, this included 4 days food and one

liter of water. The old Breeze was full but comfy. Was I way heavy ? I needed

that extra days food to get to Neals Gap as there was snow storm my first

night out and the hiking got slow and COLD ! Seeing the Fox walk along side

me in the snow made it worth while though !!

Simple and light are great goals, but I must add reliable, value, and durable to

my consideration.
    Looks like your on the right path.

Don't you know

1) ULers never post gear lists, your now just an L hiker
    2) 4 days is the longest "ULers" go w/o resupply, they don't go longer since its no longer UL to do so (or they forage)
    3) Gear doesn't go IN the bag, you wear it, dual purpose ya know
    4) Weights are less in higher altitudes, and if you fill you items with helium
    Funny stuff.

Why take 5-6 when you can cover in 4, eating a nice meal in town and no hurt.

Funny stuff.

Why take 5-6 when you can cover in 4, eating a nice meal in town and no hurt.
    Because my idea of hiking involves staying away from civilization as much as possible. So I try to plan trips that are ~7 days or more in the backcountry.

Its all a HYOH thing, I like staying out long, consequently I start off with more weight, I'm down to UL when I'm 3-4 days out

Until then I'm just a heavy fat arse hiker with all my food and bourbon

And Wolf: Many thanks for your kind suggestion that I consider quitting smoking cigarettes. You may be surprised to know that in three days, I'll celebrate one year without 'em. So despite your comment, I don't think Camels are affecting my judgment these days.
    Well Jack. I am proud of you for quitting smoking cigarettes but it you know years of abuse has been proven to cause a number of problems. Telling folks in an Ultra-light form that it would be difficult to hike with a pack smaller than 3000 cubes, come on Jack. Thru-hikers have been doing it for years, long before either of us have started hiking. It is now 2008. Hiking with a 3000 cubes pack is not hard at all for any experience and knowledge hiker. You just can’t through in everything and the kitchen sink into your pack like Jack has a habit of doing.

Jack I am proud of you again for quitting cigarettes. If you make it to the 2010 Gathering, I hope to see it for myself.

Wolf

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Because my idea of hiking involves staying away from civilization as much as possible. So I try to plan trips that are ~7 days or more in the backcountry.

I go lightweight just so I can do that. If my basepack weight is low, I can carry more food comfortably. The highlight of my backpacking experience was 10 days in the High Sierra w/o a resupply. Simply awesome.

I feel the High Sierra would not have been the same if I resupplied half-way through.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++