WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I think it does once you get past the Attachment 5008contest
    Like i said,the members that pack #'s...well.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post

Anyone that hikes lite can come off every 4 day's and feel good and enjoy the next....and i think goes for L.D. as well.

I am not sure what that has to do with a box of wine.

However at this time of the year, I bring cocoa and schnapps on my weekend backpacks.. Yummy!

Did you know butterscotch schnapps fits very well into a 20 oz gatorade bottle?

Mmmmmmm....

Finally, I don't know if I am funny..but many people say I am funny looking....but also know the right things to pack at the right time... Like Irish Cream liqueur on St. Pattie's Day!

Originally Posted by taildragger

Is that like an ISO9001 approved certification?
    Last edited by Mags; 10-21-2008 at 20:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I am not sure what that has to do with a box of wine.

However at this time of the year, I bring cocoa and schnapps on my weekend backpacks.. Yummy!

Did you know butterscotch schnapps fits very well into a 20 oz gatorade bottle?

Mmmmmmm....

Finally, I don't know if I am funny..but many people say I am funny looking....but also know the right things to pack at the right time... Like Irish Cream liqueur on St. Pattie's Day!

Originally Posted by taildragger

Is that like an ISO9001 approved certification?
    I do have a nice wine to go with the marinara.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    There's the school of thought that a long AT hike is pretty much a series of one-week hikes strung together. Equipment-wise, I find that to be true. (Mentally and emotionally, not so much.)

Does a hiker's choice of equipment evolve with continued hiking? Undoubtedly. But should a first-time-aspiring-thru-hiker copy a Triple Crowner's equipment choices? Probably not. They probably wouldn't know how to stay comfortable and warm and happy with that sort of minimalistic gear.

When a poster gives advice in a strident, putting-down-everyone-who-doesn't-agree manner, I do find it interesting--and probably pertinent to the discussion--to ask what sort of hiking the opinionated one has to back up his/her opinions. If a poster is not an @-hole about giving advice, the temptation is not so strong to question their credentials.

BTW, Egads, I am in no way referring to you in the preceding paragraph--I do not find your posts to be at all @-holic.
    Marta ,when you did the AT what was your pack wt?.

In response to mags, yes, a pissing contest is eminent wrt to getting any quality feedback in WB forums that have green backgrounds

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Marta ,when you did the AT what was your pack wt?.
    It varied. I never figured the base weight. With two liters of water and three days of food my summer weight was around 20. I carried a number of things that added packweight: camera, PocketMail, cell phone, full guidebook, at least one novel, a deck of cards, etc. Probably close to a quarter of my packweight was that sort of stuff.

As time went on, I added a few more things without discarding what I already had. One biggie was adding a Therm-A-Rest, so I was carrying two sleeping pads.

On Nov. 1, I went to a winter setup, with a much warmer, and heavier, sleeping bag, an extra layer of clothing, a couple more light sources, more high-calorie food, more stove fuel, and more reading material. I switched to a stouter pack (Gregory G) to carry all that stuff. At that point, the fully-loaded pack was around 30-32.

One thing I decided the year before my thru-hike was that I personally was not aiming for an incredibly fast hike, which meant I would not normally be hiking more than 8 hours out of 24. I'd be sleeping about 8 hours, and then I'd have another 8 hours for doing whatever. For me, that usually involves brewing and drinking tea, eating, journaling, reading, and playing cards.

Could I go lighter? Hell, yeah. Do I want to? Not unless there's a good reason. A 20-pound pack is 11% of my current body weight. A 30-pound pack is 16%. I prefer the 20-pound pack, but I'll go with 30 rather than being either hungry or cold. Or bored.

One further thought: I could, and should, lose about 30 pounds of weight off my body. Losing that weight would be the biggest boost to my hiking speed, comfort, and general ability.
    Last edited by Marta; 10-21-2008 at 22:33.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

In response to mags, yes, a pissing contest is eminent wrt to getting any quality feedback in WB forums that have green backgrounds
    What about fuchsia backgrounds?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    lonehiker's comment advice is very telling.

It never ceases to amaze me that some of the folks who volunteer the most strident and emphatic information on what works and what doesn't work on an A.T. thru hike are folks who have never commenced one, never mind completed one.

Gosh, I guess they must know stuff the rest of us don't.
    Jack (and others who believe 3000 is too small,)

In all fairness to Slow, you too are not qualified to give advice on the subject of ULW backpacking. Unlike Slow, you have thru-hiked the AT but you don’t travel ULW. I don’t believe you ever have in all your years as a hiker. I’m not saying that as a bad thing or it is something you could not do if you put your mind to it but it is simple not your style of backpacking.

Slow may not have thru-hiked the AT with less 3000 cu/in but I have - multiple times and with far less. Many others have done the same thing, Grandma Gatewood, Earl Shaffer Mags to name a few..

The original question was “What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike?”

You are given advises as an experience thru-hiker who chooses to carry a lot of weight. A ULW backpacker and someone who travel heavy are going to look at this question differently.

Some of what Slow is putting out is wrong. A 3000 cu/in is more than enough room for more than 4 days of food. At times as Mags said, sometimes it is worth carrying the extra 2 pounds of food to avoid going off the trail to resupply. Out West, it is very possible to hike with less than 3000 cu/in. I carried about the same weight doing the PCT as when I did the AT.

Just my $0.02

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What about fuchsia backgrounds?

The pissing contest is usually much harder to initiate, and also sloppier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Jack (and others who believe 3000 is too small,)

In all fairness to Slow, you too are not qualified to give advice on the subject of ULW backpacking. Unlike Slow, you have thru-hiked the AT but you don’t travel ULW. I don’t believe you ever have in all your years as a hiker. I’m not saying that as a bad thing or it is something you could not do if you put your mind to it but it is simple not your style of backpacking.

Slow may not have thru-hiked the AT with less 3000 cu/in but I have - multiple times and with far less. Many others have done the same thing, Grandma Gatewood, Earl Shaffer Mags to name a few..

The original question was “What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike?”

You are given advises as an experience thru-hiker who chooses to carry a lot of weight. A ULW backpacker and someone who travel heavy are going to look at this question differently.

Some of what Slow is putting out is wrong. A 3000 cu/in is more than enough room for more than 4 days of food. At times as Mags said, sometimes it is worth carrying the extra 2 pounds of food to avoid going off the trail to resupply. Out West, it is very possible to hike with less than 3000 cu/in. I carried about the same weight doing the PCT as when I did the AT.

Just my $0.02

Wolf
    I can tell you first off...that members with #'s will be the first to start.

What you do and think is all you.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    it Varied. I Never Figured The Base Weight. With Two Liters Of Water And Three Days Of Food My Summer Weight Was Around 20. I Carried A Number Of Things That Added Packweight: Camera, Pocketmail, Cell Phone, Full Guidebook, At Least One Novel, A Deck Of Cards, Etc. Probably Close To A Quarter Of My Packweight Was That Sort Of Stuff.

As Time Went On, I Added A Few More Things Without Discarding What I Already Had. One Biggie Was Adding A Therm-a-rest, So I Was Carrying Two Sleeping Pads.

On Nov. 1, I Went To A Winter Setup, With A Much Warmer, And Heavier, Sleeping Bag, An Extra Layer Of Clothing, A Couple More Light Sources, More High-calorie Food, More Stove Fuel, And More Reading Material. I Switched To A Stouter Pack (gregory G) To Carry All That Stuff. At That Point, The Fully-loaded Pack Was Around 30-32.

One Thing I Decided The Year Before My Thru-hike Was That I Personally Was Not Aiming For An Incredibly Fast Hike, Which Meant I Would Not Normally Be Hiking More Than 8 Hours Out Of 24. I'd Be Sleeping About 8 Hours, And Then I'd Have Another 8 Hours For Doing Whatever. For Me, That Usually Involves Brewing And Drinking Tea, Eating, Journaling, Reading, And Playing Cards.

Could I Go Lighter? Hell, Yeah. Do I Want To? Not Unless There's A Good Reason. A 20-pound Pack Is 11% Of My Current Body Weight. A 30-pound Pack Is 16%. I Prefer The 20-pound Pack, But I'll Go With 30 Rather Than Being Either Hungry Or Cold. Or Bored.

One Further Thought: I Could, And Should, Lose About 30 Pounds Of Weight Off My Body. Losing That Weight Would Be The Biggest Boost To My Hiking Speed, Comfort, And General Ability.
    Nice.

Images

(throughout this thread)--It is precisely this tone of banter that made me eventually dislike trailplace. I eventually drifted over to WB, because it was free of this stuff. I hope we can put the egos aside. Or I'd bet this will eventually, if continued, make many drift from WB--IMO.

sincerely,
    GlazeDog
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by GlazeDog View Post
    (throughout this thread)--It is precisely this tone of banter that made me eventually dislike trailplace. I eventually drifted over to WB, because it was free of this stuff. I hope we can put the egos aside. Or I'd bet this will eventually, if continued, make many drift from WB--IMO.

sincerely,
    GlazeDog
    Oh, it gets better, wait for a "do you pack heat" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I've always preferred denatured alcohol

Default Esbit &

Esbit tabs and a Springfield XD 9mm ! ...............
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Images

I've always preferred denatured alcohol
    Quote Originally Posted by Zzzzdyd View Post
    Esbit tabs and a Springfield XD 9mm ! ...............
    LOL!!!! I'm glad to see the sense of humor.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

Journal Entries
    Images

AS a general rule the lighter the pack the less weight it has been designed to carry. My experience has been that when you go beyond a pack's intended weight it becomes uncomfortable to carry not to mention stressing the straps. How in the world do ultralighters carry 5-6 days food between resupply points or enough for the 100 mile Maine wilderness in frameless packs or packs weighing less than 2 lbs? I have never understood this.

It can be done with proper food selection (low to no water weight, calorie intense, addition of olive oil) and switching from wine to liquor

That's what the cocoa and schnapps are for...

....and switching from wine to liquor

True. Being of Italian ancestry, I do like my wine. However, there's always grappa. More weight efficient for sure.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-22-2008 at 13:49.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Hike smarter, not harder.

The subjects may change from forum to forum, but the pissing contests are all the same.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++