WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I put mine in a proper sized case, in ziplok, and slide sternum strap thru it. I have a piece of rubber inner tube on the strap to ensure the camera doesn't come off when you take the pack off. Very convienant when hiking, camera is right there. I can't use pants pockets, waist belt gets in the way, and doesn't feel very good when hiking.

On the sternum strap. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix and the case is Lowe with both a velcro fastener and a snap button so it never comes off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I carry mine in my front pants pocket in a ziplock bag.

Cosmo
    Ditto: If it wern't so accesable, I might not want to get it out every time I see something picworthy.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Camera (Canon S30) goes in ziplock; ziplock goes in small pouch attached to front of belt.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Camera (Canon S30) goes in ziplock; ziplock goes in small pouch attached to front of belt.
    Your link claims the pouch is waterproof - I guess that's not the case since you put your camera in a ziplock?

I know, but I like to be on the safe side. The ziplock also protects the lens and viewer from scratches (I also carry other stuff in the pouch). Things do stay pretty dry inside, though.

On my Golite Pinnacle, I would put my camera in a samsonite camera holder. Real durable and would slip it into my water bottle sleeve in front of my nalgene. It stays there and doesnt move around. The case is really good and cheap, Walmart $12. Also very easy to reach the camera especially when you need to grab it really quick.

a mouse gave me a penny in exchange for some goods... fraufrack's Avatar

Default Cheap & Light Camera Protector

I've been pleased protecting my camera with the new-style koozie (drink insulator) cups. When not in use, it will squish flat or fold up easily; when in use, it hugs my camera well. I think they're made out of neoprene. We get them for free at various (usually football or school related) events. It may be too big if you have a super slim camera, but you could experiment cutting it up & resewing it to make it fit right or to make it attach to your hip belt. This is not a waterproof solution, so you'd still need a good ziplock. I use Pinnacle too and am keeping my camera (actually just cellphone camera, when I'm hiking) in a ziplock-type bag in one of the side mesh pockets.

There may be other uses for this koozie thing too... hot pad/mitt for cooking, showing off school/team spirit, I dunno...

a mouse gave me a penny in exchange for some goods... fraufrack's Avatar

Default koozie clarification

Quote Originally Posted by fraufrack View Post
    I think they're made out of neoprene.
    I just checked. The ones we've received for free are a thin, light foam with a covering that looks & feels like knit nylon/polyester/spandex or something. The koozies that were not free (but were given to us as gifts) are actually neoprene. The neoprene type is thicker, weighs more, & isn't as squishable, but could be cut & adapted to be squishier. I prefer the neoprene for normal koozie use but I think I'd prefer the free foam ones for backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Camera goes in ziplock which, in turn, is placed in a the pocket of my shorts/pants. Easy, cheap, lightweight. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Ditto: If it wern't so accesable, I might not want to get it out every time I see something picworthy.
    I also keep my Cyber-shot camera in my right shorts pocket and use my Gregory pack cover stuff sack(small little blue thing)to hold it. Only if it is raining do I bother to use a ziploc.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I carry an Olympus 850 SW. It's shock and waterproof so I just carry it in my front pocket.

Your link claims the pouch is waterproof - I guess that's not the case since you put your camera in a ziplock?
    just like anything (sleeping bag ratings, gear weights, etc), i am a firm believer that manufacturer's concepts of waterproofness and trail waterproofness are two totally different things. sure, they're in the ballpark 99% of the time, but for that other 1%, i put my electronics in a ziplock too.

i like the idea that someone mentioned about a small silica packet in with it. never thought of that! the method they use to determine if a phone is water damaged is a strip of some sort of color changing litmus paper. I would imagine prolonged moist environments could cause it to be activated, even if the device never actually got dunked. Just my theory though.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

on my chest, in a pouch, tied on a long cord that, if i drop it, will only fall to about knee level.
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

Registered User Macallister Vagabond's Avatar

I always keep it in my front right pocket. It's very easy to get to and I can shoot with one hand.
    Facebook "So dawn goes down to day -- Nothing gold can stay."

I carried my Canon G9 the entire length of the trail in a Lowepro Apex 20. I didn't want it on my hip, sternum, waist, or any other strap, because I figured it would be in the way in any of those places. So, I simply used the supplied shoulder strap and slung it across my chest so it would ride just below my ribcage on my left side. I put my pack over that, and nothing was in the way of anything else. The camera was out of the way of my arms, and the pack had no problem since the shoulder strap and waist belt were well away from it. This made my camera easily accessable, and I got more photos because of it. (2300+ frames) It was also very handy when I wanted to drop my pack and go hike up a side trail; I would still have my camera in a protective case on my person for those times.

I carried a ziplock bag inside the case, usually scrunched down in the bottom, but easily accessible to put the camera in if it started to rain, or if I was sweating a lot and soaking the nylon case. Hope this helps!
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Images

Dana Designs Wet Rib

Images

If you know of anyone getting eye treatment/lasered, the little bag w/all their "stuff" in it, sun glasses/eye drops etc, works great! Is pretty waterproof (at least mine is), is a waist pack, 1 compartment, keeps dust off etc. Those sun glasses work pretty good to for those of us w/prescription glasses and like to wear sun shades over them. I have a couple of pairs, are free and work great.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Nikon Coolpix S-10, Tamrac 5691 camera pouch on my sternum strap. Silica pack in the ziplock in heavy rain. The pouch has a zippered compartment in front that holds spare battery and SD card. On the trail I also keep my money, credit card and drivers license in a ziplock in this pouch so it is always secure and protected. It is light, convenient and works great for me.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    True. I wouldn't have so many pics in my gallery if my camera was in my pack, that's why I keep it attached to my shoulder strap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++