WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nothing will prepare you adequately other than hiking on trails with a pack. Before I left for Springer this year, I was hiking a 3.6 mile trail, which was pretty difficult in some sections, about 4 times a week with a 30lb pack. Once in a while I would double it up (it was a loop) and I did not use trekking poles because I wanted to build up my knees - this worked well.

Also, I was hiking the 3.6 miles in 65 minutes. After a few weeks I noticed a big difference in my legs, I had lost some weight, and although I never got my time down to under one hour it just got easier and easier. I did this for about 6 weeks. The strain and recover method I implemented meant my body had time to rest, I remember not hiking for 4 days once due to knee pain, this is a great luxary with training, something you cannot do on the trail generally.

When I left Springer this year I averaged 17 miles per day through Georgia, other than the expected blisters I had no problems, and I smoke! I did something like 23 into Franklin and 21 out, and that's pretty early into the trip. I was very suprised how fit this got me, and it was only 3.6 miles per day.

Images

I walked around with my pack a little, but probably didn't need it. You can lift weights, run, whatever, but hiking is the only thing that will get you in shape for hiking. I really don't think much prep is necessary as long as you don't kill yourself out of the gate. ~10 mile days at first are nothing to be ashamed of.

My dad is the same way - he has some issues with his knees, but nothing ibuprofen can't handle.

Wow, what good advice above.

I'd agree with all the folks who've advised you to wear your pack as much as possible. You may get some funny looks at the gym, but once people hear about what you've got planned they'll think it's pretty cool.

I'd also agree that gyms and treadmills are fine, but there's no substitute to actually getting in some Trail miles with your full packload on your back. The more accustomed your body, your muscles, and your system are to hiking real terrain with real weight, the better off you'll be once you actually start hiking.

The single best way to prepare to spend a great deal of time being active in the outdoors is to spend as much time as possible being active in the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    I walked around with my pack a little, but probably didn't need it. You can lift weights, run, whatever, but hiking is the only thing that will get you in shape for hiking. I really don't think much prep is necessary as long as you don't kill yourself out of the gate. ~10 mile days at first are nothing to be ashamed of.
    running is all i ever did to get in cardio-vascular shape. hiking is what gets you in hiking shape

Images

Default More strength training!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow, what good advice above.
    This thread got off to an exceptionally good start.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The strength training is something that actually helps prevent injuries that could prematurely end your hike. IMO the strength training is more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I agree, everyone should strength train. Why would a person choose to be weak?
    I'd like to see more about strength training. Through hike prep should involve as much beneficial activity as time allows and avoiding injury early on is important.

Images

At The Gathering, during the discussion of speed hiking, David Horton said some very interesting things about working through injuries. To summarize, he said he believes that one should generally continue to hike/run through most injuries, including shin splints, tendinitis, and minor stress fractures. He thinks (and has a fair amount of personal experience in this area) that they will heal in spite of being used.

For example, he said that if he rolls his ankle, he continues to walk. If you immediately get off the ankle it will generally swell and become quite stiff. If you continue to walk, you can usually "walk off" the injury.

He told another story about a fellow who was competing in the Run Across America. Very early on he had a small stress fracture in his foot. He continued to run, going just fast enough to avoid the cutoff time each day. By the end of the Run, he was pretty much back to normal and X-rays showed that the fracture had mostly healed.

But, to repeat something I said earlier, he also said he thinks it's foolish to think you are prepared to hike 75 miles a week by doing maybe 8 miles a week of walking leading up to the hike.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    At The Gathering, during the discussion of speed hiking, David Horton said some very interesting things about working through injuries. To summarize, he said he believes that one should generally continue to hike/run through most injuries, including shin splints, tendinitis, and minor stress fractures. He thinks (and has a fair amount of personal experience in this area) that they will heal in spite of being used.

For example, he said that if he rolls his ankle, he continues to walk. If you immediately get off the ankle it will generally swell and become quite stiff. If you continue to walk, you can usually "walk off" the injury.

He told another story about a fellow who was competing in the Run Across America. Very early on he had a small stress fracture in his foot. He continued to run, going just fast enough to avoid the cutoff time each day. By the end of the Run, he was pretty much back to normal and X-rays showed that the fracture had mostly healed.

But, to repeat something I said earlier, he also said he thinks it's foolish to think you are prepared to hike 75 miles a week by doing maybe 8 miles a week of walking leading up to the hike.
    Sounds like good advice, I've walked thru a lot of injuries, but do take it easy - just don't stop unless it's really bad. One thing I would stress is your physical preparations should not be concentrated so much on getting ready for a hike, rather it should be a lifestyle, sort of like a war against nature

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I've personally found that hiking with a pack at least three or four days a week for three to four weeks prior to a long hike sets me up fairly well for the initial part of the hike. Nothing simulates hiking with a pack very well other than actually doing it.

I am planing on a possible thur in 2010. I just started hiking this year. So far I have hiked about 200 miles in the Smokies. This has greatly improved my physical condition.

Saturday 10/18 I will start my longest hike 104 miles from Davenport Gap to Ewing. My plan is to continue hiking the Smokies and increasing my miles & days out. This trip will give me a better ideal of what to expect. Also in my plan is to section hike up to half of the AT by 2010.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Sounds like good advice, I've walked thru a lot of injuries, but do take it easy - just don't stop unless it's really bad. One thing I would stress is your physical preparations should not be concentrated so much on getting ready for a hike, rather it should be a lifestyle, sort of like a war against nature
    I completely agree.

"War against nature"--I like it. It might be futile, but I'm still gonna try.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I completely agree.

"War against nature"--I like it. It might be futile, but I'm still gonna try.
    True, but there's something to be said about the Last Great Act of Defiance

Images

If you don't live close to trails, put on a backpack and hike around town, looking for the biggest hills you can find. Climb stairs in office buildings or stadiums. I would absolutely get some hiking poles, a headlamp, water too. Another thing you can do is use milk jugs filled with water for weight. Push yourself to carry a little more weight than you plan to carry ont he AT. If you get too tired, dump the water - or drink it.

As with the previous posts, simulate hiking with weight as closely as possible to maximize your efforts.

If you belong to a gym, check out the VersaClimber - it will give you a cadio workout and a half...and give you an idea of altitude. Your biggest climbs northbound are about 1000 footers. Train for 1500 with weight.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    Another thing you can do is use milk jugs filled with water for weight.
    A big bag of dog food works well, fits in most packs, and has an even distribution.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I used 3 9# bags of charcoal for my practice walks this spring/summer. I found the gallon jugs to be too concentrated, weight wise. Also, if you have a sledding hill, walk over and back on that. I did where I live, which is very flat, over 500 times in a park near my house.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

The best way to train for hauling a backpack up and down mountains is to haul a backpack up and down mountains.

Start doing some weekend backpacking trips with your planned thru-hike weight, if you have time, as well as some moderate exercise during the week. I would also, if I were you, start out slow on the thru, and work your way into shape. Some people say no matter what prep you do or do not do, you will get fit in 4-6 weeks of hiking, as fit as you will ever be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++