WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Images

I am planning on a 2011 hike. I should be retired and have the social security check kicking in (if the government doesn't lose that between now and then!). I am planning on a NOBO leaving in mid March with Rocco - my dog.

This gives me plenty of time to get into shape and have several week long "shake down" hikes under my belt.

Hope to see ya all on the AT then.

Hello all, I am new to the forum and plan on doing a thru hike in 2011. I just started planning and was thinking about getting a march 1st start in gorgia. I am going to most likely be going by myself, so hopefully I will meet some of you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Here Here.
    Tentatively set for a 2011 NOBO. I'm thinking a fairly late start (Possibly Late April / Early May). I happen to turn 30 in April and I can't think of a better Birthday present to myself than starting a thru. Time frame for a start will depend entirely when I can finagle a four to five month sabbatical from the firm.

To Do List:
    1. Get Approval from the Mrs.
    2. Quit Meaningless Job or alternatively secure a Sabbatical Leave.
    3. Save Some Coin. (perhaps switch 2 and 3 , perhaps not)
    4. Go Hike!

The Fact that there is already a thread on this is very, very cool. 2011 will be here before you know it.
    I started this thread Oddjob because my plan Thru for 2010 fell through.

I didn't figure in the necessary money needed to do the actual hike. I'm knocking off creditors alright, and figure I'd start buying what equipment I need right after that.

I'm keeping in shape as best as "this old man" can do and may come over to Ohio to do some of the Buckeye Trail next summer or the summer of '010'. Perhaps you and some of the other Ohio guys I'm seeing on this thread can get together for a hike. I'm a former Buckeye myself and have done a little of the BT.

Hope your plans go well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Also thinking March 2011

Im retiring May 2010 and this frees me up for a March 2011 AT NOBO. I hope a verbal comitment this early on Whiteblaze doesnt jinx me. Ive done my homework with two Lt thru hikes and a recent JMT. I plan on keeping in condition until Springer takeoff to counteract my being 60 then. Also Im updating my clothing and gear with ultralites. Also Ive read a small library of trail journals and AT book adventures and will continue doing so til the times rolls around. The hard part is waiting.

Gorp Gobbler--maybe we could backpack the Knobstone since we're both southern
    Hoosiers.

Hi Garbanz:

A hike on the KT sounds good to me. I just did a section last Sunday (11-02-08).

Did you see my thread about Indiana WB'ers getting together at Brown County State Park Nov. 15 at 10:00 in the Abe Martin Lodge?

You are welcome to join us that day if you'd like. We'll meet for a discusion over a meal at the lodge either before or after a hike within the park.

Hope to see you there.

Gorp-Gobbler

Journal Entries
    Images

Ill have to pass on the 15th ---plan on being out in the woods looking for deer. I hike with the Bloomington hiking club. We were just down Brown County SP hiking a couple weeks ago.Thanks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    I'm keeping in shape as best as "this old man" can do and may come over to Ohio to do some of the Buckeye Trail next summer or the summer of '010'. Perhaps you and some of the other Ohio guys I'm seeing on this thread can get together for a hike. I'm a former Buckeye myself and have done a little of the BT.
    Hope your plans go well.
    Excellent -- except I am from NY (I Live in the 'dacks). I am planning a Northville-Placid Thru this summer and possibly *crosses fingers* a Long-Trail thru in 2010 as a true shake-down distance hike.

Default Sorry About That

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Excellent -- except I am from NY (I Live in the 'dacks). I am planning a Northville-Placid Thru this summer and possibly *crosses fingers* a Long-Trail thru in 2010 as a true shake-down distance hike.
    Sorry about that Oddjob. I'd read the two postings prior to yours but wanted to comment on the statement you made about it being cool that there was a thread started for '011' all ready.
    Rockhead and Phipps023 are from Ohio and I got them confused with you. oops!!
    First mistake I made in my life. ha! ha! ha!

Thought I'd bring this thread to the surface again since I'm seeing some prospective '011ers'. This way they can see all of the good people that will be on the trail that year.

Default 862 Days Until 04/01/2011

That is from 11/19/2008, unless I miss counted.
    Last edited by Gorp-Gobbler; 11-19-2008 at 07:28. Reason: Misspelled miss (I had missed) oops!

Default The KT Is Still Plugged UP

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    Im retiring May 2010 and this frees me up for a March 2011 AT NOBO. I hope a verbal comitment this early on Whiteblaze doesnt jinx me. Ive done my homework with two Lt thru hikes and a recent JMT. I plan on keeping in condition until Springer takeoff to counteract my being 60 then. Also Im updating my clothing and gear with ultralites. Also Ive read a small library of trail journals and AT book adventures and will continue doing so til the times rolls around. The hard part is waiting.

Gorp Gobbler--maybe we could backpack the Knobstone since we're both southern
    Hoosiers.
    I called Jackson/Washington State Forrest just a while ago and got a report on the trail condition.
    They are making some Head-way, but it is still a LONG-WAY from being opened.
    I guess the Southern end up around the 12-15 mile post is clear.

Default My Computer Is Shut Off At Home

Thank Goodness for the Public Library. I can use the computers up here and it doesn't cost anything. Plus I can walk here if I want to which would help with keeping in shape for the big start in 2011.

How about it '011er's, are you all getting ready to go? Let me know how it's going.

Images

I plan on leaving 1 April 2011 for my thru. Would love to go sooner but I don't retire until October of 2010. Looking forward to it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    Thank Goodness for the Public Library. I can use the computers up here and it doesn't cost anything. Plus I can walk here if I want to which would help with keeping in shape for the big start in 2011.

How about it '011er's, are you all getting ready to go? Let me know how it's going.

I just bought my new stove and a new mattress. Trying not to get too excited too early. I'm down with doing the B.T. as a practice hike anytime (work permitting). I also know some cool trails in WV that would be good (more changes in elevation), maybe some of us '011ers can organize a group sometime in the future. See you on the trail.
    Last edited by Rockhead; 12-09-2008 at 13:14. Reason: wrong word

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Doing some section hiking when I can (next big one is slated in April). Mainly doing running. Got most of gear figured out except need to eventually purchase a marmot Helium for the late part of the hike. Still waiting to hear from my work, though, to see if I can do a total SOBO or just a long section hike from ME to MA.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    I plan on leaving 1 April 2011 for my thru. Would love to go sooner but I don't retire until October of 2010. Looking forward to it!!!!
    Fritz: I'm planning an April 1st start date as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    I just bought my new stove and a new mattress. Trying not to get too excited too early. I'm down with doing the B.T. as a practice hike anytime (work permitting). I also know some cool trails in WV that would be good (more changes in elevation), maybe some of us '011ers can organize a group sometime in the future. See you on the trail.
    I'm thinking about doing some miles on the BT over the next couple of years, plus the trails here in Indiana. You're welcome to join us when we have get togethers.

Maybe we could plan on a trip over there on the BT. I have hiked some of it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    What is the BT?
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    What is the BT?
    BT stands for Buckeye Trail. It connects all four corners of Ohio.

Default 834 Days Left

With December half over for 2008 the Class of 2011 AT Hikers have ONLY 834 Days to wait or at least until April 1st, that is.

This means we'll have 3 Christmas's, 2 Father's Days and Mother's Days, and at least 2 Birthdays to ask for presents needed for the trip.

Oh! Ya, two Tax Refunds and maybe Stimulus Checks too.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++