WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is Nimblewill Nomad also connected to that Nimblewood stove, if I have the name right?
    I am pretty critical of stoves and gear of any sort, but I admire anyone that actualy develops and builds something, whether they actually get around to marketing it or not. I am mostly just half baked ideas myself. It's nice to see some folks actually finish a few, whether they actually any good ot not. Even mass produced stuff by big corporations. Most brand name mass produced and mass marketed stuff bugs the crap out of me, but it is important to remember that some of that stuff actually started in some guys basement, or head, and that is always commendable. I don't put a lot of weight on financial marketing success as the be all and end all. I am rather un-American in that way. But I am very big on ideas. America will always be full of alot of wonderful ideas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    That said, I still carry about 3-4 oz of fuel and a basic alky stove for when the weather isn't cooperating, laziness, etc. This is we're likely to roll on the PCT down the road.
    That's kinda what I do too....

The Zip is my favorite stove b/c I like to cook and boil lots of water. For example, I like to boil up a ton of water for coffee, tea, hot cocoa, oatmeal, hot water bottles etc... Everyone in my hiking group loves me b/c I serve out almost unlimited cups of Joe....plus I like to cook eggs, melt cheese, cook meat if I have it, make pancakes,...you get the point. However, sometimes like Johnny Swank, I'm just too lazy to cook and I'll whip out my Super Cat and just boil some water.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jak: I just got home from being gone most of the week and Nimblewill's book was waiting for me. It is quite thick. Looks like a good read. I'll let this thread know about any stove I read in the narative. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Thanks. This is the one I was thinking of...
    http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

Journal Entries
    Images

Jak, I was just feeding my grandson and came back for a minute to look. Wow, thanks for the link. I saved it. Well, I'll bet he mentions his stove at some point in the book. BTW, I got it used on Amazon.com
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

JAK, I looked at the Kelly Kettle website. Interesting idea. Any drawbacks or plusses you can share?

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know Jak, his index does not have anything. I don't know if he gets into equipment at all. We'll see. -SunnyWalker

From his website it looks like he could be an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop rat View Post
    JAK, I looked at the Kelly Kettle website. Interesting idea. Any drawbacks or plusses you can share?
    Sure. Love to.

Drawbacks, none of which are serious limitations.
    1. Somewhat heavy at 1.2 pounds
    2. Somewhat bulky at 10.5"x5.6".
    3. Can't be used to carry water.
    4. Can't be cleaned out on the inside.
    5. Can only be used for boiling water.
    6. Can't be used as a fireplace when empty of water.
    7. Not easy to melt snow with unless you have some water to start with.
    8. Requires solid biomass fuel like birch bark and sticks to work best.
    9. Technically shouldn't be used when open fires are banned.
    10. Smokes initially, if that might draw unwanted attention.

Plusses:
    1. Very fun to use.
    2. Very fast. 750ml of boiling hot water in 6-10 minutes.
    3. Very fuel efficient and forgiving of damp fuel. Easy to light.
    4. Eliminates need to carry fuel, though should carry fuel for next fire.
    5. Provides means of water purification if you prefer hot drinks.
    6. Unlimited supply of hot water for drinks, if you prefer hot drinks.
    7. Improved sanitation and hygene - hot water for dishes, laundry, shaving, washing.
    8. Good way to start a fire for drying clothes, after you make your hot tea.
    9. Very clean for packing as the fire is on the inside.
    10. There is some room on the inside for storing fuel, firekit, tea, etc.

There are different ways to use it and pack it. I leave the base home now which saves some weight and makes it considerably less awkward to pack. I just set it on the ground or some rocks and dig a little air tunnel if I need to, then just lift it away and keep a little fire going if I want to dry socks or something. Of course you have to be careful where you do this.

For carrying water two 750ml bottles work well. I used to use 1 litre bottles, and leave some water in the bottle as boiling water it too hot for most things, but I am going to try working with smaller aluminum bottles, which can be reheated if frozen, and are better for carrying hot drinks. I need to make insulated cozies for them for winter.

For making soup or oatmeal I usually bring at least a mug and sometimes a larger pot. I would like to eliminate both of these by making my two water carriers basically aluminum or titanium mugs with some sort of waterproof lids. I would make them both the same size, 800ml maybe, with removable neoprene cozies. Then I could use one for a hot drink and the other for hot soup or oatmeal and both for carrying water, or hot drinks and food while hiking. I might still carry a wineskin besides.

I have a Thermette, it shares a lot of the same pros & cons.

But it’s big, 5 inches round and 15-inches tall. (3 pounds) But it has a base and a fire ring pot support that allows it to be used as a stove either by itself or on top of the Thermette while boiling water. This is included with it at no extra charge.

It’s also expensive in most people’s mind ($107.00)

It really heats water good, water will shoot out of the top like a volcano when it’s boiling good (about 5 ½ min for ½ gal of water to boil.)

I understand the thermette is copper also, which might be a plus for some folks.
    Heavier, but rather nice looking I think.
    http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm

Here is a very interesting list of woodfired kettles of this type:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_kettle

The bit on the russian samovar is quite interesting.
    "Further similar designs
    The Samovar is a similar design that predates these other kettles. It was used as a household appliance rather than camping gear. It also has a hollow fire tube and water around it which is heated. It is used to make tea."

Somovar article in Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar
    I thought this bit was particularly interesting...
    "Afterwards, fuel is added. Instead of charcoal, Russians traditionally use dry pinecones. Cones add a hint of the resin's flavor to the tea. When using charcoal it is important to use unprocessed lump charcoal. Commercial compressed charcoal can burn with such a concentrated heat that it is possible to damage the samovar, especially if the water level falls too low. No matter what fuel is used, it must be ignited. The traditional way is to use pieces of bark from the birch tree or small dry fir tree twigs called pautina (cobweb). In the Soviet era, a popular joke had it that Pravda, the newspaper of the Communist Party, was particularly good for tinder. Paper in general should work. An alternate method is to set the charcoal burning in a fireplace or brazier and transfer the coals to the samovar with tongs."

It would be interesting if there were any more practical shaped Samovars are made for backpacking. I suppose its hard to beat a plain old tin mug and three rocks for practicality.

It should be made clear what a Kelly Kettle, Ghillie Kettle, Thermette and Eydon Kettle are. They are made to boil water, they are not stoves. Most of these kettles can also be used as a stove with added parts (that may be included, purchased separately or made) but it’s not something they were originally meant to do so they will not do it as well or with the connivance of a regular stove.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from buying one of them, but understand what they are (and are not) and what their intended use is. Also none of them are small, they are bulky.

I love the Thermette I have, but it’s not what most would think of as a backpacking item.

They are hell on wheels for boiling water though.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I understand the thermette is copper also, which might be a plus for some folks.
    Heavier, but rather nice looking I think.
    http://www.thermette.com/thermette_whycopper.htm

Here is a very interesting list of woodfired kettles of this type:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_kettle

The bit on the russian samovar is quite interesting.
    "Further similar designs
    The Samovar is a similar design that predates these other kettles. It was used as a household appliance rather than camping gear. It also has a hollow fire tube and water around it which is heated. It is used to make tea."

Somovar article in Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar
    I thought this bit was particularly interesting...
    "Afterwards, fuel is added. Instead of charcoal, Russians traditionally use dry pinecones. Cones add a hint of the resin's flavor to the tea. When using charcoal it is important to use unprocessed lump charcoal. Commercial compressed charcoal can burn with such a concentrated heat that it is possible to damage the samovar, especially if the water level falls too low. No matter what fuel is used, it must be ignited. The traditional way is to use pieces of bark from the birch tree or small dry fir tree twigs called pautina (cobweb). In the Soviet era, a popular joke had it that Pravda, the newspaper of the Communist Party, was particularly good for tinder. Paper in general should work. An alternate method is to set the charcoal burning in a fireplace or brazier and transfer the coals to the samovar with tongs."

It would be interesting if there were any more practical shaped Samovars are made for backpacking. I suppose its hard to beat a plain old tin mug and three rocks for practicality.
    The handles on the Thermette are it’s problem. They are little more then coat hanger wire. Also they are way too close to the body of the Thermette to not get burnt fingers.

I made a new handle and it really made a difference.

I have been ½ way looking for one of the Russian samovars, I don’t really have a need for it, but I just want it to play with.

I think everyone get their knuckles burned with the Kelly Kettle before learning a certain way of picking it up and carrying it. Also its tempting to put the cork in ever so lightly while its heating, but it will usually still fly off and sputter some boiling water and steam. Also the pressure isn't really good for the bottom seam. I still do it though, meaning to take the cork out a little later. I think the corks main purpose really is as something to tilt the kettle to pour it, and to keep debris from going inside when your transporting it. Anyhow, they are lots of fun, and safe enough once you get the hang of them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jak: I was on a road trip for the last few days. I am reading Nimbelwills book "Ten Million Steps". sure is enjoyable. I have not come across a review or anything like that of the stove he used or any equipment yet. I am only about a 1/4 way through. Don't see it in the book, though. The book seems to center more on the inner journey. Good buy though. -SunnyWalker

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, the book was so very interesting. It seemed to me more about the inner journey while on the hike. Equipment ratings -well not one for the stove. It was mentioned is all. Positive mention though :-). GREAT BOOK, real inspiring. Wow, what a hiker.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I made a wood stove for a canoe trip from a coffee can. Punched a some holes in the bottom and about 2" down from the top. Tent stakes go thru the upper holes to hold the pot.

For stoking, a duct can be made from aluminum foil and a $9.00 computer fan from Radio Shack. The fan runs on a 9v battery.

Be sure to bring a dedicated dirty sack to carry it. I made mine from a FedEx tyvek envelope.

I carried small pruning sheers for trimming wood to fit.

On the trip my mates, who were using their Whisperlights and Coleman singles, complained about the smoke but I figured we were camping, weren't we?

So I always tried to set it UPWIND of their position...

Journal Entries
    Images

JAK, have you looked at and or used a WoodGas-Stove.com stove yet?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amen View Post
    JAK, have you looked at and or used a WoodGas-Stove.com stove yet?
    I love it: http://www.woodgas-stove.com/woodgas...FSK9FQodIltmwQ
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++