WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Right, but they're heavy for what they do. The "old" polypropylene versions were 4 oz, the "new" clear plastic ones are 6 oz. That's for a 32 oz. payload. To carry 3 quarts of water using the "new" Nalgene bottles, you're looking at over a pound of plastic.

A) I don't put flavored drinks (aka sugar water) in a bladder. B) So far (700 miles or so) no leaks with a 3-Liter Platy bag.
    I don't think it's "old" vs "new." As far as I know, the HDPE nalgenes are still sold, and the lexan (or whatever the clear material is now) are also sold.

Yes, don't put sugar water in a bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    I don't think it's "old" vs "new." As far as I know, the HDPE nalgenes are still sold, and the lexan (or whatever the clear material is now) are also sold.
    That may be, but I haven't seen them for some time now, at least not in the 32 oz. size. Those that I've seen in the last few years have been the shiny multicolored (polycarbonate?) versions. I had to toss my old (4 oz.) Nalgene a couple years ago after some mold grew on it.

i used to spurn nalgenes for the weight and the yuppy personna they had. but i have changed my mind. my platypus bladder is ok for carry and keeping large amoutns of water from the spring to the camp but it stays empty during the day. the nalgene is good in winter, has a wide mouth and can even be used as a hot water bottle. i do use my metal cup to take water from the spring or source to the nalgene.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_d View Post
    I have just started hiking, and I went with 2 nalgene bottles and I like them.

However, I see most hikers using bladders.

I do not know why, but I really like the nalgene bottle and would like to know the opinions of others.

Thanks!
    What you drink from is immaterial, what you drink and how much is what matters. Some people will will discuss the merits of fine threaded caps versus coarse threads all day. Don't overthink it but if you feel you absolutely need to suck on something while you hike, go bladder

Journal Entries
    Images

That may be, but I haven't seen them for some time now, at least not in the 32 oz. size. Those that I've seen in the last few years have been the shiny multicolored (polycarbonate?) versions. I had to toss my old (4 oz.) Nalgene a couple years ago after some mold grew on it.
    Mold - Couldn't you boil it? Like we used to with Ball jars?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You should have soaked it in bleach.

I have several of the 4 oz Nalgene bottles. Gander Mountain had them last fall. Give them a look if you want more of them.

I prefer Platypus Bladders and a single Gatoraide bottle to mix drinks and as that little extra supply in case I do suck my bladder dry without realizing it. I also normally carry a little Platypus Sport Bladder that I use in my hammock or tent at night. The Sport size (1/2 liter) will hang nicely from my ridgeline at the end of my hammock without bumping my feet.

With the difference in weight between a Nalgene and a Platypus (or a Gatoraide bottle), I figure I'd rather carry a little more water than carry a little more water container.

Plus I find the Nalgene's a little awkward to drink from with the attached cap banging around on the side...

Images

I prefer Nalgen Bottles over a bladder. They are a bit heavy, but they are much easier to work with in camp. Also, I am terrified the bladder will leak in my bag and get something wet that really needs to be dry (e.g. thermal underwear on a cold night). On one trip that I used a bladder, it was easy to drink as I walked, but I wound up running out of water because I wasn't able to easily track how much was left in the bladder. The convenience of a bladder is no good if you have to stop and
    open your pack frequently to check how much water you have left.

Also, at least in my pack it is a pain packing and unpacking when the bladder needs
    to sit in the top of the backpack.

I most recently used a bladder last year when I knew it was going to be dry. I took two Nalgen bottles and a 2.5 liter bladder so I could store over a gallon of water. I thought four Nalgen bottles would have been overkill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++