WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Nalgene vs bladder?

I have just started hiking, and I went with 2 nalgene bottles and I like them.

However, I see most hikers using bladders.

I do not know why, but I really like the nalgene bottle and would like to know the opinions of others.

Thanks!

A simple coke or pepsi or gatoraid bottle is best IMO.
    I've seen bladders leak in below freezing temps. (all over my friend's clothes bag too)

That said, i carry a lightweight plastic bag that REI used to sell that is very similar to the wine box bladders for when i hit camp and need more water for cooking, cleaning, coffee/tea, etc.
    When on the trail, it's always empty and i use one pepsi or coke bottle. They're lightweight, cheap and simple. (2 if i'm in a real dry section)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I just like the convenience of walking and drinking without stopping, plus the water stays cold longer in my pack – I lay it on top of the inside of my pack, not in the special compartment, because my body heat warms it too quickly. I use the water compartment for my maps/journal…

When I'm cycling I take frozen water bottles, but it only takes about a 1/2 hour for the ice to melt, course that has a lot to do with the extra heat radiating off the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    A simple coke or pepsi or gatoraid bottle is best IMO...
    I've never had one break on me, but given time I'm sure it will happen, so I do carry two back-up bottles as mentioned above.

Images

i take 1 of each. like having the nalgene for measuring water for dinners, mixing gatorade, and a hot water bottle if necessary. like having the bladder for drinking while walking

Pepsi or Coke bottles are amazingly tough, you can throw them up in the air and let them land on rocks and they will not break. But if they land on the cap it may break, take an extra cap with you.

As far as Nalgene bottles, most here would say they weigh too much, but I use and like them. They are very hard to break.

Images

let's see...nalgenes are good for cold weather b/c you can boil water then put it inside a nalgene and create a hot rock that can be placed inside of sleeping bag...very useful for the smokies...other than that, i would use gatorade bottles instead of nalgenes...they weigh less and hold the same oz's...

the bladder is great for non-stop hydration...stick that tube in your grill and start drinking...easy...there are always break concerns, but in this world, there are very few guarantees...but i think the chances of disaster are minimal as long as you are being responsible...

they are both good, having both i think is the best plan...

Default Switching back to bottles

I've found that I just don't drink enough from a bladder. Even taking frequent sips isn't hydrating me as much as taking a good swig from a bottle. Plus stopping for drink gives my companions a chance to drink also. A big benefit for me is being able to monitor how much I've actually been drinking. With the bladders, I am concerned about keeping the bladder and hose clean enough on extended trips. However, I do carry a bag for holding water in camp, but I never drink directly from it and it does not have a hose.

Default Nalgene ....

I found it almost impossible to hike as quite as I prefer using Nalgenes.

I now use one 1lt Platapus I have used over 10 yrs now with no problems.

One 3 lt water bag for camp and I also blow it up as a pillow.

One 4 oz OJ bottle for those up hill sips .

I have never needed to do it in the field but I did boil water and test the

Platapus in case I needed a "hotrock" . It held up well.

Nalgenes don't mold, they slosh quite a bit, a tad heavy for my taste, but

they are tough and I would guess they would hold up ok on a thru-hike.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_d View Post

I do not know why, but I really like the nalgene bottle and would like to know the opinions of others.

Thanks!
    I used to be a dedicated bladder user, but got away from them and now use either a Platypus, Gatorade bottle or sterile water bottle. I get the sterile water bottles from work and clean them thoroughly . Best of all, they're free.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Thanks!
    i've never used a bladder thingy and never will. i always use a nalgene and a gatoraid bottle. everybody i know that uses has leaks

Man, I'm really on the fence over this question.

I've been a long time fan of the HDPE Nalgenes. They are durable! And I've certainly got the time to stop and take a good sip periodically.

But, water bottles are a pain the neck to get in and out of your pack without asking someone for help. So, recently I've started using a Camelback.

I think your decision over bottle or bladder is one of personal choice, just like all equipment choices. No one solution for all.

Wow! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is not 100% sure as to what piece of hydration equipment to use.

As for you Peaks, what I did to make my Nalgene easily accessible was duct tape a piece of rope on two sides of the bottle, which comes to a loop knot. That way I can easily use a carabiner to attach it to the side of my bag, easily within arms reach.

Thanks again for the advice, and I think I'll stick to my Nalgenes...I do like them!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I use a 1.5L Nalgene Cantene with a hose/bite valve attached. The Cantene is flexible, weighs 2 oz. without the hose (4.3 oz with), and resides in a side pocket so if it should leak it doesn't soak everything. The only problems I've had were a pin-leak that occurred when I scrunched an empty bottle into the pocket too hard, plus a full-out explosion failure when I pushed the full bottle off of my 6-foot high bunk at a White Mountains hut (what a mess!).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I never liked the CamelBak system and also found that I sometimes didn't drink enough since it's impossible to gauge exactly how much water is being consumed. I carry two Gatorade, or similar, bottles in my pack's front strap pockets for use on the move and have a 3L Platy which I only use in camp unless crossing extremely dry areas.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Nalgenes are incrediblyl heavy, and I've never had a Dasani bottle break.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Best of both worlds: a 70-oz. Camelback bladder, and a one-litre Nalgene, filled as much as necessary while hiking. Full when in a dry stretch, less full when water sources are plentiful.

In camp I use one of those cheap bags with handles (sold thru Campmor and others) to collect water, and filter out of that. I also carry two lightweight collapsible Platypus "bottles" for extra water storage in camp, and fill those up also when pumping from the water bag. By time to break camp the next morning, I'll still have enough water for much of that day to put into the Camelback and rigid Nalgene I use while hiking.

Thanks!

I used 2 Nalgene bottles for most extended hikes. I find the ease of cleaning and durability beats a bladder or bottles. I also use a MSR miniworks pump that screws directly onto the Nalgene bottles, so that makes it much more convenient than having to hold the pump over a bladder or bottle.

But, I think it's more of a personal choice, and most likely something that you will learn over time and by trying different combinations yourself.
    There is no bad weather, only inappropriate gear.

The great advantage of a "suck tube" bladder or hydration system is that it makes it really easy to drink as you go. The convenience of this probably results in most people drinking MORE frequently than they would otherwise, which is a good thing. Most people don't drink enough while hiking.

The dis-advantages are that one can lose track of how much water one actually has remaining in the bag, and if you don't check on your water level periodically, you might discover that you've got a lot less than you think, and you may even run out.

Also, people should be sure to thoroughly clean their water bag, hose, and mouthpiece frequently, as these get dirty pretty quickly.

In my experience, the best water bags (either with or without a hydration hose) are made by MSR.

If you go with plain bottles instead, make sure they are accessible from your pack, as it's a real pain in the ass to have to take off your pack every time you want a drink. If the side pockets of your backpack aren't reachable while you're wearing the pack, there are bottle holsters available that will attach easily with velcro strips to just about any hip belt.

And I would consider ditching Nalgenes. They are expensive, and lots of folks prefer to use liter soda bottles, Gatorade bottles, etc. These can be repleaced periodically with newer, cleaner bottles (The neck threads on Nalgenes collect nasty black gunk over time which is unsanitary, unappealing, and a pain to remove). The only real advantage to Nalgenes is they have a wider mouth (easier to put drink mix in), and you can use them for hot drinks, or to make a hot water bottle for your sleeping bag on really cold nights. But most folks are switching out to lighter, cheaper alternatives.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

The dis-advantages are that one can lose track of how much water one actually has remaining in the bag, and if you don't check on your water level periodically, you might discover that you've got a lot less than you think, and you may even run out.
    I address this issue by putting some amount in a bottle in my pack, and the rest in the bladder. That way when I "run out" I still have the reserve amount.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++