WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Has anyone heard of this?? Moving the AT in VT?

Farm Bill Allows Sale of Forest Land To Ski Resort

POSTEDnot on WB.) 11:36 pm EDT May 14, 2008
    UPDATEDnot on WB.) 11:58 pm EDT May 14, 2008

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- House Republicans are attacking Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) over a plan to sell Green Mountain Forrest Land to Bromley Ski Resort in southern Vermont. It is a plan that will benefit taxpayers, hikers and the ski industry according to Leahy's office. But Republicans call it a pork barrel earmark.
    "I don't think taxpayers ought to have to bankroll this boondoggle," Republican Leader John Boehner said on the House floor Wednesday.
    Boehner accused Leahy of slipping a provision into the farm bill behind closed doors during a conference committee.
    The land sale will save taxpayers money, said a spokesman for Leahy. Bromley Ski Resort has leased for the last 66 years. Part of the Appalachian Trail and the Long Trail cross over ski run, not an ideal situation according to Leahy's office.
    "It also is a management headache for the Forrest Service," said David Carle, Leahy's spokesman.
    But during an effort to strike the provision from the Farm Bill Boehner said, "Now we're actually going to move the Appalachian Scenic Trail, possibly have to move it because we're going to sell this land to a ski resort."
    "It's clear from Congressman Boehner's scripted comments that he doesn't know the first thing about Vermont or Vermont's priorities in the Farm Bill, and it's worse that he doesn't even seem to care," Carle said.
    Selling this land to Bromley isn't a new idea for Leahy. He introduced identical legislation during the 108th and the 109th Congresses. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the Green Mountain Club, the Green Mountain Forrest and Bromley Mountain have all been involved in discussions over the land sale.
    The House passed the 2008 Farm Bill Wednesday. The Senate begins debating the bill Thursday.
    Sen. Leahy's Press Secretary, David Carle, released a statement Thursday night saying, "It's clear from Congressman Boehner's scripted comments that he doesn't know the first thing about Vermont or Vermont's priorities in the Farm Bill, and it's worse that he doesn't even seem to care.
    "Bromley was first put under permit around 1940, and now for more than 66 years the ski area has held the permit for these Green Mountain National Forest lands. This has given rise to a situation in which part of the Appalachian Trail and the Long Trail now must cross over property that is being used as an active ski trail, which is not an ideal situation for anyone. It also is a management headache for the Forest Service. The rent for this ski trail parcel is $13,000 per year, while annual Forest Service management costs for the parcel are rising and now exceed $17,500 a year.
    "The idea of a land exchange has been raised as a possible solution, but that can't happen without a congressional authorization.
    "As early as 2005 the Eastern Region of the Forest Service worked with partners and other interested parties to review and provide feedback on the proposed Bromley Mountain Land Exchange. Those involved in these discussions include the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), the Green Mountain Club (GMC), the Green Mountain National Forest, Bromley Mountain, and others - to see if there's a solution that's better for everyone.
    "In support of these efforts, Senator Leahy introduced the Green Mountain National Forest Land Adjustment Act of 2005 (S.425) for review and consideration in the 108th Congress back in 2004, and he again introduced it in the 109th Congress. The legislation in the Farm Bill is the same as these earlier Leahy bills. This is exactly the role Congress should play in such a situation. Forest Service lands cannot be added without congressional authorization (which means legislation), and Senator Leahy is glad to be in such a good position to help on this and on all the other Vermont priorities that have fared so well in the Farm Bill.
    "The reason the State of Vermont, the Forest Service and others want this flexibility to make a land exchange possible is that it offers the chance for a mutually beneficial solution to benefit taxpayers, hikers, and a member of one of Vermont's most important industries."
    Text of House Republican Leader John Boehner's Floor Speech:
    "Let me thank my colleague for yielding. Mr. Speaker and my colleagues, I've been around the House Ag Committee nearly eighteen years. The chairman and I came together, we're good friends and so is the Ranking Republican, Mr. Goodlatte - and I know they've worked hard to produce this bill. But clearly most Americans think that Washington is broken and this Farm Bill is another example of that. I know there is some reform in this bill, but when you begin to step back and look at the bill, we didn't get anywhere near the reform that Americans would expect. At a time when we've got the highest commodity prices that we've seen in a generation, you would think that we would take a slightly different approach to the Farm Bill. But unfortunately because of the process, because of the negotiations, it didn't happen.
    "I just want to point out what I would describe as the most egregious part of this. I'm going to have, I or one of my designees will have a motion to recommit this conference report. And it's no secret that politicians have traditionally abused the Farm Bill for their own pet projects. And if you look at some of the pet projects, there are three that I am going to single out in our motion to recommit.
    "One, it would strip out the 'Trail to Nowhere,' a land swap that was airdropped into the bill by the senior Senator from Vermont. The language requires the U.S. Forest Service to sell portions of the Green Mountain National Forest exclusively to Vermont's Bromley Ski Resort. And believe it or not, to accommodate this obscure demand, portions of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail may have to be moved. Now we're actually going to move the Appalachian Scenic Trail, possibly have to move it because we're going to sell this land to a ski resort. I don't think taxpayers ought to have to bankroll this boondoggle..."

Would and could you please site your sources ? Also please keep us posted about further developments.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Images

http://www.wptz.com/news/16268926/detail.html
    The link above is the news paper link I got it from.

The bottom link is the actual bill from congress. I believe hell i don't think anyone can really read them these days.
    http://www.cnie.org/NLE/CRSreports/07Dec/RL33917.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mtt37849 View Post
    http://www.wptz.com/news/16268926/detail.html
    The link above is the news paper link I got it from.

The bottom link is the actual bill from congress. I believe hell i don't think anyone can really read them these days.
    http://www.cnie.org/NLE/CRSreports/07Dec/RL33917.pdf
    Thanks, and I couldn't agree more. Only the crooks in the back rooms really

know what it means. We do know it usually means someones getting over on

us though !!
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

i made snow at bromley one year. it's the best little ski area in vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    There's a lot of competition in that category. Burke, Stratton, Okemo, Smuggler's Notch...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more LW, it's may favorite mountain to snowboard at in VT and I have ridden ALL of them. Bromley is a great mountain that hasn't gone completely corporate like others (Stratton, Killington....). It still has that cozy feeling when you walk into the lodge and see the huge fireplace with real wood burning, not a gas stove.

I'd like to learn more about this bill they are trying to pass, keep posting links you might find people!!

The best thing that could happen would be to move the AT/LT away from ski slope eye sores. I hate hiking through those places with their monstrous machines. If the ATC or GMC can benefit from the sale, that's good.

There's not enough info in that bill to discern what's going on. The only thing I saw was on page 11:

"Green Mountain National Forest.
    The Senate bill includes two provisions
    affecting the Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont. The first expands the
    boundary of the forest to allow for acquiring certain lands. (The Forest Service
    cannot acquire, by purchase, exchange, or donation, lands outside the designated
    boundaries of the national forests.) The other provision authorizes the sale or
    exchange of specific lands to the Bromley Mountain Ski Resort, with specific

directions on the use of any proceeds generated by the sale or exchange."

I guess they'll be selling National Forrest land to Bromley Mountain Ski Resort.

Someone could always call Senator Leahy's office and find out.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Maybe LaurieP has some info?

Not to get ahead of the situation, but that would be one heckuva relo. It would have to be on the western side of Bromley and go six miles to Mad Tom Notch.

Not exactly sure why it is such a hassle for hikers to traverse the ski slope since most, if not all, hikers do the trail during non-ski season.

And, dammit, I love sitting in the chairlift on the summit and watching the sunrise. Or the sunset from the firetower. It's a great spot and 'twould be a shame if the hikers lost this summit.

It's such a small thing, I just don't get the need to change things. If the FS sells to Bromley, just include an easement for hikers.
    Yahtzee

Jody Carton, ATC's New England Regional Director, has been following this thread and will try to send me something to post to give a fuller, more accurate picture on this situation hopefully by tomorrow. There are apparently some things in the article that are either incorrect or misleading.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    ...There are apparently some things in the article that are either incorrect or misleading.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Surprise, surprise...

Who was it that said believe nothing you read and only 1/2 of what you see -- or something like that. Basically, keep an open mind - especially with news reports.

Jody asked me to post the following---Laurie P., ATC.

As part of the 2008 Farm Bill, a long-sought for amendment was included to assist in resolving several long-term land management issues on Bromley Mountain in southern Vermont. The Farm Bill and the amendment passed. The Bromley-related management was included with the Farm Bill because it includes lands administered the Green Mountain National Forest/USFS, housed within the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Due to the Farm Bill authorization, the USFS now has authorization to proceed with an environmental review of the land exchange proposal. This proposal, to exchange specific identified USFS lands that for many years have been permitted for special ski area usage to Bromley Mountain LLC ski resort, if selected as the preferred alternative in the USFS National Environmental Policy Review Act process, will address multiple resource management and recreational considerations.

The co-aligned Appalachian National Scenic Trail and Long National Recreation Trail cross Bromley Mountain on lands administered by the Green Mountain National Forest, and also a Vermont State Forest. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Green Mountain Club are supportive of the proposal. Positive outcomes for the AT/LT include a minor trail relocation (on a preferred permanent route) and a short (permanent) side trail to the summit of the mountain. Should the proposal move forward, this work can be expected to take place within the next 5 years or so.

Jody L. Carton
    ATC New England Regional Director
    [email protected]

Images

Thanks for the response, Laurie!

I dimly remember reading something about this--in the ATC magazine, perhaps?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

So are we raising hell w/ Congress or not?

Images

We can't really get started down the political road here about whether or not this is "pork." But we now know that the ATC supports this project.

I don't, at this point, have any reliable information about projected costs. I would welcome that information, if someone has it or can find it.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Relocations happen all the time - look at the new piece of the AT around Killington. I for one am all for moving the trail away from ski areas, the two do not mix well IMHO.

i really enjoy hiking on ski trails

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++