WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Sweating in the cold

Hi i will be geting to springer on Feb 4 2009 to star my Thur-Hike. But i need your help
    when i am hiking or working out in the cold i sweat a lot even when it below zero deg.
    when i am carry my pack the same thing i found a layering system that seen to work ok
    i have micr tshirt on a light weight fleece and a light wind proof jacket on. for camp i was thinking about a 200 weight fleece jack i have if it get to cold i can put my prec jacket over it or i was gone to bring the REI goose down jacket i found at the thrift store. it fold up really small only weight 14oz. what to you guys wear to stop from over heating and to stay warm around camp. i read somewhere on one of these post that a lot of yu carry two hats one to wear when hiking and one to wear at night when you are sleeping'

Thank for the help

Images

In terms of sweating while hiking. It's going to happen. As long as you have dry clothes to change into at camp you'll be fine. You could slow down, but you can only take off so much clothes.

My advice is to hike in a t-shirt and shorts if you are hot. Have stuff to change into if needed.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

First thing I take off if I start sweating is my hat.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Don't hike in the goose down, especially if you are a heavy sweater. I can relate to that. I sweat profuesly in all weather. As far as controlling how wet your gear gets, that you have some control of. I usually wear one inner shirt day after day, up to a week, for hiking only. I have another one which I wear to bed only. I carry a lightweight fleece jacket which I wear very seldom while hiking, but sometimes I wear it to bed for extra warmth. I sometimes carry a down jacket as well, but that is only when I'm expecting temps below 20 at night, and I usually wear it around camp, then use it as a pillow, or lay it over my bag so I can slip into it when necessary in the middle of the night and it won't be too cold.
    It is a good idea to carry two hats, not only because one should be kept dry for nighttime use, but also, if you lose one you won't be without that crucial head protection. You can always replace a lost piece of gear when you reach town.
    For very cold weather, you might want to try a pair of vinyl examination gloves under your regular gloves. Not only do they keep your fingers warmer, but they keep sweat from getting into the gloves. Vapor barrier socks do the same for your feet, and weigh next to nothing. Try them this winter before you take them with you on your thru. They may or may not work as well for you as they do for me.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thank that what i was tinking about useing the Goose down jacket for was around camp same for the 200 weight fleese jacket i figure the one i do take can do double duty for around camp or if get to cold can wear in my sleeping bag to help keep warm.

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

It has to be around freezing for me to hike in more than t-shirt and shorts (or a kilt). Maybe first thing in the morning I'll wear a light top for a couple of minutes while I warm up, but it soon goes in the pack (literally after a couple of minutes). Sometimes I wear gloves, or a hat, with my t-shirt and shorts, and that seems to regulate things pretty well. As soon as I stop, if it's cold, I throw on my down jacket and all is well.

Haiku.

Images

All i can add besides making sure you have dry clothes to change into is if your sweating that much just make sure your drinking enough water.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    i have micr tshirt on a light weight fleece and a light wind proof jacket on. for camp i was thinking about a 200 weight fleece jack i have if it get to cold i can put my prec jacket over it or i was gone to bring the REI goose down jacket i found at the thrift store. '
    If you have the light weight fleece you plan to wear while hiking then I would go with the down jacket for in camp. I think it would work better for layering (and be warmer) than layering two fleeces.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtt37849 View Post
    All i can add besides making sure you have dry clothes to change into is if your sweating that much just make sure your drinking enough water.
    2nd. I find it is easy to neglect pounding water once it gets cool. For me.

I sweat easily also. All very good advice above...layers and be ready to adapt. The problem I experience is not necessarily the cold and sweat, but the WIND and sweating!

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    It has to be around freezing for me to hike in more than t-shirt and shorts (or a kilt). Maybe first thing in the morning I'll wear a light top for a couple of minutes while I warm up, but it soon goes in the pack (literally after a couple of minutes). Sometimes I wear gloves, or a hat, with my t-shirt and shorts, and that seems to regulate things pretty well. As soon as I stop, if it's cold, I throw on my down jacket and all is well.

Haiku.
    I agree pretty much with this post. T-shirt and shorts, period. Perfect winter backpacking clothing. OR: Starting out in layers and KNOWING WHEN TO STOP AND DELAYER. This takes discipline and must be done to avoid wet layers later and possible hypothermia in camp.

I take two hats, a fleece balaclava and a wool-type watch cap over that, especially at base camp. I usually hike in the balaclava when cold and even will wear the hat and a light pair of gloves with my T-shirt and shorts, while hiking.

Images

I find that whatever the temperature, your clothing layers should leave you feeling on the cool side when hiking (as opposed to warm and cozy). If you sweat a lot, you should get some clothes that wick moisture really well. I can hike in a capeline top/marmot dri clime shirt with silk capeline pants/wind pants (just a nylon shell) down into low temps. My hat is usually a bandana, or for cold a very thin wicking material that covers my ears. Even if this combo is soaking wet, I stay warm and it will dry ridiculously fast. I always have a fleece vest or jacket ready for stops to avoid getting chilled.

I think one of the things you get used to is leaving camp (maybe freezing), but knowing that in 20 minutes, you will be completely warmed up. I think new hikers have a tendency to leave camp warm and hike too far with the unnecessary layers...which results in getting your clothes wet from sweat.

Folks like you that just sweat a lot need to keep you clothes dry by hiking a little colder (or have a system that dries quickly if this is unavoidable).

Happy hiking!

TTF

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm a heavy sweater, too. My winter solution is a very light long sleeve tee (EMS Techwick, with a zipper neck) and a running jacket. The jacket is very light material, zipper front, and the front (and only the front) has a wind-proof nylon shell. My back can breath under the pack, my front's protected, and I can adjust temps by opening the zippers and donning/doffing my hat.

I think the jacket was Nike, got it at Dick's. Running stores have a lot of good clothing options for hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Starting out in layers and KNOWING WHEN TO STOP AND DELAYER. This takes discipline and must be done to avoid wet layers later and possible hypothermia in camp.
    I absolutely agree with this. I have worked a physical job for close to 25 years, and having worked outdoors in the cold a lot I know all too well the problems involved when one gets cold and wet, and I eventually developed the discipline to do this. Although I am sure it is much harder for one who is hiking with a pack on their back, maybe in uneven terrain,etc...the fact of the matter is one simply must be able to develop the discipline to shed and replace layers of clothing accordingly, albeit at times it it simply easier said than done.

Default Don't sweat when U don't have to

It is not only important that U find a breathable layering system that works for how U hike, what time of the yr. U hike, and is appropriate for the conditions U will encounter, but that U know how to effectively use what U R wearing. All those clothing materials/options, accessories(gloves, hats, socks, gaiters, etc.), mechanical devices(pit zips, chest zips, velcro closures, snaps, mesh panels, back vents, etc.), and multiple layers R there to assist U to better regulate your body temp. But, gear by itself is not always going to keep U comfortable all by itself under all conditions. U must do your part. For example, if U start out hiking in the morning in near freezing temperature while wearing multiple layers, a hat, and gloves and U start to feel yourself heating up after hiking for awhile opening pit zips or a chest zip, removing a layer, or shedding a hat or gloves may be all U need to do to regulate your core. Often it is best to do this in small stages as conditions change. Now, I understand U have probably heard most of this already, but what is critical is that YOU DO THIS BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE U start sweating profusely. If U start heating up STOP and regulate your core temp. DON'T assume that U will cool down if U continue hiking. Often, just the reverse occurs; U get hotter, sweatier, and wetter. It is always important to regulate core temp., but this may be most critical in the winter, as when U have planned to start your thru-hike, if U want to hike comfortably dry and warm. Being wet and cold in near freezing temps. can soon find U dangerously hypothermic. I also find it more versatile and easier to regulate core temp, paricularly in winter, when I'm wearing more lighter breathable wicking layers than wearing just one or two heavier layers. Most hikers will use a goose down jacket, like the one U mention, to stay warm in camp or while stopped or will start out the day in cold temps. wearing it and then remove it when they start feeling too warm. I find that I can moderately hike in a goose down jacket only in only very cold temps(for me, very cold means less than 10*). So, it is not just what U wear that keeps U from over heating, but how U use it!

Agree with Dogwood. Not all breathable gear is created equal. Find clothing that works FOR YOU. I've got a friend that likes the underarmour stuff, but I find it doesn't breath enough for me. My wife likes nike drifit for running and hiking, but again it doesn't work for me.

Being sweaty mainly on my back I've had good luck with the Patagonia under layers. They breath the best and I usually use a lighter weight under a mid-weight and then layer with a different brand outerwear.

++ New Posts ++