WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Default B-52 Crash Site?

Earlier today I saw a photo on the random photos page of a B-52 crash site. The photo was taken by Attroll and when I clicked on it to see it better I got a message that I did not have permission to view the photo. I'm sure thats a setting on the administrators page, and thats not my point anyway.

When I was a kid my dad was in the Air Force and stationed with the SAC as a B-52 flight mechanic. I remember a few of his stories including one about a crash landing somewhere in either Maine or Atlantic Canada. I believe the entire crew survived and I remember my dad being home with a cast on his leg for a long time. I was 3 or 4 years old at the time.

This would have probably occured sometime around 1958-1959. I'm wondering if the wreckage shown in Attroll's photo is the plane my dad was aboard. Does anyone have any information on this crash such as when and where it occured?

I've been to this B-52 crash site near Greenville but from what you say you think the year(s) it's probably not what you are looking for.
    Process of elimination?
    WALK ON

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I saw this in the Smokies. I have no idea what it's from.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...99fb309a_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post

When did you take that pic?

helicopter, south of cosby knob

I know that's no B-52, but his pic looks like my pic of a crash in the Smokies, I took in April 06.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...&cutoffdate=-1

Images

$8 million for a B-52. A dollar sure want buy what it use to.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    helicopter, south of cosby knob
    Do you know when it crashed?

There have been several crashes in GSMNP. The Air Force used the park as a training ground years ago, don't know how active they are now. As a teenager I worked summers building cabins at Cobbly Knob. Fighter jets would fly low level up the valley on a daily basis.

Two F-15s collided and one crashed in January of 1992, can't remember where in the Park and a F-4 crashed near Cosby Knob in the late 60's, early 70's. Don't know about the helicopter(s).

Images

I know of one in bedford I have been too. I cant remember what kinda plane but i'll try to upload images.

There is also a crash site on Camels Hump on the Long Trail. Not sure what kind of plane.
    You are never too old.

Images

This would have probably occured sometime around 1958-1959. I'm wondering if the wreckage shown in Attroll's photo is the plane my dad was aboard. Does anyone have any information on this crash such as when and where it occured?[/quote]

You can check his military records and find out a lot of info. I have the records of my father, every mission he flew on, the targets, crashes, and his POW records.
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

Images

There used to be a web site that listed known (read: released) aircraft losses by type and date. Can't find it now. The Greenville crash is the only one listed in Maine though there was one crash that originated at Loring AFB, ME that crashed into a farm in the Twin Cities area in 1958. The only survivor was the copilot. 1958 was a bad year for the Air Force, they lost 4 B-52s that year, two to a mid-air collision over Spokane.

I was 9 when a B-52 out of McCoy AFB (now Orlando IAP) crashed in a nearby neighborhood. Saw it on the news and had nightmares for weeks. Didn't stop me from joining the Air Force though...

Images

An F-4 Phantom crashed near Old Black in 1984, maybe? I've seen some pieces that looked like they might be from that crash outside Cosby Knob Shelter. Hikers probably brought those there. As for me, I NEVER touch airplane crash remains. Bad juju.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Several years ago, on the Cumberland Plateau, North of Lookout Mnt. TN, I had a fighter jet wiz close by, very low and absolutely haulin a..!
    I grew up near an air force base and have been to several air shows, and this plane was definitely going faster than they fly at air shows.
    Good thing I was near a stream to wash out my shorts, I mean it was on top of me with no warning. What a blast!
    If I was a fighter pilot I would do the same thing.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

I lived on Pease AFB, Portsmouth New Hampshire in the early 60's. A B-52 crash shortly after take-off. It was in 1963, all crew members died.

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    Several years ago, on the Cumberland Plateau, North of Lookout Mnt. TN, I had a fighter jet wiz close by, very low and absolutely haulin a..!
    I grew up near an air force base and have been to several air shows, and this plane was definitely going faster than they fly at air shows.
    Good thing I was near a stream to wash out my shorts, I mean it was on top of me with no warning. What a blast!
    If I was a fighter pilot I would do the same thing.
    While on a ship I was about 50 feet above the water line, as I turned to face forward (wrt the ship) I saw an F-14 coming down our portside; just happened to see it, never heard anything – very surreal. He was about 200 ft off the deck and I could see the halo whipping off the plane as it approached...then the sonic boom. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Airplane Crash

During my 2001 thru two guys came into Crosby Knob shelter with part of a airplain wing. They were from the D.C. area and had access to a web site that showed all the airplane crashes. They would get the GPS and try to locate them. Sounded like an interesting thing to do. I have a picture in my picture galery.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

The crash site in Bedford Va is either a B-25 or a B-24.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++