WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much money did you spend during your completed thru-hike on unplanned dental, and

Default Medical bills on the AT...

A poll for those who have completed a thru-hike: How much money did you spend during your completed thru-hike on unplanned dental, and medical bills, including prescriptions...if you had insurance try to use the dollar figure that best represents what you would've spent without it.

Default Medical bills on the AT...

Other than a very minor sniffle it was the healthiest thing I'd done just for me in lots of years. So the answer is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    A poll for those who have completed a thru-hike: How much money did you spend during your completed thru-hike on unplanned dental, and medical bills, including prescriptions...if you had insurance try to use the dollar figure that best represents what you would've spent without it.
    i paid $250 once in Hanover,N.H. for emergency dental work. that's it in 16,000 miles of hiking on the AT

Once I explained my predicament, I got a examine and a prescription for anti-biotics and pain killers from a dentist in CO who waived the fee. Had to pay for the drugs though.

I had only one medical emergency in five thruhikes. That one cost me about $600 for ER visit, x-rays and stitching. My husband had a crown fall off on the CDT that was fixed in Colorado for about $65. His other problems along the way (broken wrist on the AT, broken rib on the CDT, broken toe on the PCT) went untreated.

On my first four hikes I had no insurance. On my last hike I decided that, at 50, I couldn't afford to be without insurance any longer. I got a BC-BS policy for about $175/month. (My mother had had two cancer operations by the time she was 50 and my cousin died of cancer at 47.) I've been very lucky. Given the prevalence of Lyme on the AT, I might do it differently now.

Images

Nothing

Out of 6 thru-hikes, I had a $300 bill once in VT for a brown recluse spider bite.
    And a tooth pulled in San Diego for about $50.00

I agree with someone above saying it was one of the most healthful things i've ever done.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Default <$200.00

Before my hike, I had a complete physical, a dental checkup and assembled a 1st aid kit including a few prescription medications recommended in a book I read beforehand. I can't quote an exact cost, but I'd guess not much more than $200 (U.S. 2008).

I used the meds once in GSMP when I felt ill and felt better within a day or 2.

++ New Posts ++