WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Flat feet, ankle pains, & hiking

I literally have the flatest feet around, but have been using your typcial off-shelf arch supports and felt fine all my life. Last couple months, I started wearing an ankle brace to help relieve some pain. But within the last few weeks, my right ankle has been starting to swell & turn in badly and putting stress on my fibula ankle joint and ligaments to the point where I can not stand or walk without extreme shooting pain. It was like a reoccurring twisted ankle. Friends tell me I that I looked like I was literally walking on my ankle. So I have been doing heat and advil until I got into the docots.

The doctor that I saw was iffy if x-rays would actually show any tears or damage, and just suggested getting a firm plastic orthotic arch supports & stay in high top shoes as much as possible. That was pretty much my 5 minute visit. The last couple days the pains have lessened dramatically with the new arch supports.

Other than ankle brace, the orthotic arches, high tops, and heat. Is there anything else I can do to help with my ankles? The doctor said I should try to walk and hike in the new arches as much as possible as long as I don't have pains. Is that really wise, or should I stay off my feet?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I had never had any problems with my very very flat feet.........until I put on a 40 lb pack and tried to thru-hike. I had hiked with lighter packs for 2 - 3 days with no problem. But that heavier pack was the proverbial straw. My insteps swelled way out and were so hideously painful I couldn't walk anymore without sobbing. Turned out my "arches" such as they were, were collapsing. The doctor was going to shoot my feet full of steriods if they didn't go down. Fortunately they did. I tried Rx orthotics, at $300, for a year. They worked just fine but I didn't want to pay another $300 when they wore out. So I bought the highest arched insoles I could find and I also bought the little arch supports. I put the supports under the insoles and viola! They worked perfectly for a total cost of about $40. I replace them every 6 months. My $300 insoles lasted less than year. I wear Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots when I hike.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

get yourself a high quality running shoe, or a boot if your are more comfortable in it,

then get yourself a set of properly made orthotics. best lab in the country is Sole Supports. to find a practicioner near you, go to their web site, maybe call them and they can refer you. www.solesupports.com I make them everyday in my practice. I wear them everyday I am in closed shoes and would not consider hiking without them. I have extremely flat feet

peace
    mf

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have had a history of ankle problems.

First off - heat on your ankle - NO! If you are having bouts of tendinitis (which it sounds like), ice all the way, three times a day up to 20 minute intervals if possible (no more though than that, though). Use a styrofoam cup of water frozen and do an ice massage of the area. Never use heat.

Also recommend you see a sports Dr, esp one who hikes or runs, for his opinion. You likely need physical therapy and strengthening exercises. This will alleviate reliance on ankle supports.

Also recommend trail shoes that are designed for overpronators (just because a boot is high top doesn't mean it has a correct footbed which is needed to support the foot, the muscles of the foot and thus the ankle on up). That's why I switched to Brooks Adrenaline ASR runners - for the pronation support. A qualified running shop can help with fit as well.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

No Heat! Ice!

Images

go get you some arnica from your favorite local health food store!

++ New Posts ++