WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Need for a compass

I have heard different opinions on whether or not a compass is a necessity on the AT. I will be starting a thru hike in March 2009 and obviously want to go as light as possible. I would like some feed back on items that should or could be left at home.
    My pack weight now is 24 lbs with 5 days of food and 2 liters of water. Any suggestions on which trail book is the more practical.

Most thru-hikers don't know how to use a compass, much less carry one.

In all likelihood, you won't need one, tho maps are another story. The prudent hiker carries and uses the best maps he can find.

As far as which Trail guidebook to use, the three principal guidebooks, which are all updated annually, are quite similar. In recent years, the most popular of the three has been the Thru-Hiker's Handbook. The most accurate of the three is generally considered to be the Thru-Hiker's Companion. The 2008 editions of the annual guidebooks should be available in late December or early January.

Buy a button compass that can be pined or clipped onto clothes (I’ve seen them for sale for $4.00.) Hook it to your coat or pack. It for all practical purposes it weights nothing. A button compass is not as useful as a full fledged compass, but for trail use it should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Buy a button compass that can be pined or clipped onto clothes (I’ve seen them for sale for $4.00.) Hook it to your coat or pack. It for all practical purposes it weights nothing. A button compass is not as useful as a full fledged compass, but for trail use it should do.
    I agree with Bob. A teensy compass that shows general direction should be all you would need on the AT. In addition to the button type, you can get some integrated into other gear (such as a small thermometer, a whistle, or even a drinking bottle lid), or ones that clip on a watchband.

Tiny lightweight "button" compass, as mentioned. You'll probably never need it, but it just might come in handy. You never know.

Images

I had a large orienteering compass which I stopped carrying for lack of use. (Yes, I know how to use it.) After several years I picked up a tiny compass that fits on my watch band. Love it. It's not for serious navigation, but it helps for all the times I'd like some general idea of direction, but otherwise can't see the sun or other indicators.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've grown rather attached to my old compass, which has an aluminum case. I find the plastic ones break. I think the little mini-compasses are fine though, when combined with a whistle or thermometer or something like that.

The latest Backpacker mag recommends ditching both map and compass, but I like to have the map "to see and to see what you see". The compass is so I have an idea of which direction I should be heading in the morning....

Sour
    SOBO since 2004

I never leave the trailhead, even on a dayhike without a map and compass. Even a good compass weighs next to nothing. I've played with a GPS and they're fun but can't replace a good compass and map. But then again, I'm old school.

Images

I'd recommend carrying some kind of compass, but nothing elaborate. The one I use is incorporated in my Timex. Guaranteed accurate to the nearest 45 degrees, but was sufficient for my needs the one time I got screwed up on the AT.

Navigation is more of an issue on the Pinhoti Trail, and so far that same compass has gotten the job done.

No compass or map would be to me, unthinkable.

Images

I carry a small compass carabiner which weights six tents of an ounce.

It clips to the front of my pack belt which makes it always available.

Panzer

think about the circumstances in which carrying a map would be critical. then think how much more useful that map would be if you had a compass. in bad weather how would you orientate the map without it?

always carry a map of the area you will be in. and when you carry a map carry at least the most rudimentary compass when you carry a map.

amen.
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Not needed. The trail is really hard to loose. You will, however, find that you need to re-trace your steps sometimes to make sure you are going the right way.

Kirby

Images

Sooo Kirby, given the choice between a watch with a compass built in and one without you'd argue against a minimal compass on principal?

Yeah, I know I'm putting words in your mouth, but that is one logical extension that could be made from your statement. Basically, if you're careful about how you do things a compass can be part of your gear with no weight or volume penalty. Given that a compass can be handy I'm gonna vote for having one.

YMMV.

Images

Thumbs up it's like insurance; you need it when you need it

Since you asked--

I like maps and compasses, so I carry them.

As far as whether you should, I think of it like insurance. Wise to have all the time; critical to have at a critical time.

Weight is so trifling as to be an irrelevant consideration, IMHO.

In the end, hike your own hike.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Compass or not? That's a good question. It's always high up on the lists of 10 essentials. And the small ones weigh only a fraction of an ounce.

I think mine is a comfort item. I'll probalby never need to depend on it, but there are times, perhaps in a thick fog, or above treeline when there are not other reference points, or perhaps at a confusing intersection, when it might come in handy. For the small weight penalty, I think I'll keep bringing mine with me.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

The only time i used it was to check which way to set up my tent into the weather. You get really good at looking at the sun and immediately knowing your orientation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 65 View Post
    I have heard different opinions on whether or not a compass is a necessity on the AT.
    Check this one out: compass/thermo/whistle/etc

I carry an older version of this without the light and signal mirror (I might have to upgrade). It is always within reach on a shoulder strap D-ring.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

I have a watch with one built in along with my ALt. I find this helpful to know where I may be on the map using a rough elevation you can almost always know where you are on the map/trail. Plus I like to know how much further to the top it is, especially at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++