WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Stationary/camp wear: UnderArmor or Smartwool base layer.

Good day folks! Over the last year, I've built up a pretty bombproof hiking kit. The last items for me to round out are my cold weather campwear, especially since I moved from a zero to a 25 degree bag: relying on some of my winter clothes to sleep in and close the gap.

Even in bitter cold, I have little problem staying warm when moving. But in camp, I found my lower half getting nippy. I've been going back and forth between.

1. Under armor heatgear top and bottom
    2. Smartwool long john style top and bottom
    3. or going for the mountain hardwear synthetic fill insulated pants.

I am planning on some hikes in the whites and maybe some winter camping in friendlier massachussetts climates. Cold but not mountaineering cold.

For existing clothing, I have
    1. Under armor loose fitting heatwear t-shirt (silky stuff)
    2. Under armor loose fitting heatwear longsleeve t-shirt (same stuff)
    3. North face 100 weight quarter zip fleece
    4. REI spruce run winter jacket
    5. Thin zip off pants
    6. Watch cap + Balaclava + baseball cap
    7. Thin under armor gloves+ Thick mountain hardwear gloves
    8. Rain coat + rain pants + WP gloves
    9. Underwear + 2 sets of synthetic thorlo socks

What do you all think? This stuff is heavy so I want some opinions from others who have used these in the field in the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Journal Entries
    Images

I actually use a underarmour tight fitting long sleeve shirt under a merino wool set of long johns to sleep in, in the cold. I will usually hike in the under armor shirt and merino bottoms for the first section of the morning, changing at my first break usually. I then tie them on the outside of my pack to dry. They are usually dry and ready to store at lunch.

Wow, that was a speedy response!

So you can actually hike in that heatgear? I find myself overheating very quickly wearing the UA top since it works so well. I reserve it for camp use because I need to strip down to take it off.

I never thought of using both systems together.... I'll have to try that out.

Images

I don't know if this is actually true, but my underarmor seems to only keep me warm when I am moving and generating heat since it's supposed to help trap body heat. I don't feel like it really helps when I am standing still/sitting around.

My suggestion would be to go with something else like merino wool or expedition weight polypro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
    Wow, that was a speedy response!

So you can actually hike in that heatgear? I find myself overheating very quickly wearing the UA top since it works so well. I reserve it for camp use because I need to strip down to take it off.

I never thought of using both systems together.... I'll have to try that out.
    Yes, it works too well and I am hot hiking in it

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I feel like it keep me warm. I don't think mine is called "heat wear". It's just like one of them bikers shirts I guess. I am not real sure. I just knew it was synthetic, that atheletes wore it to stay warm; so I thought I would try it. Like I said, I wear the under armor under a merino wool set I use. The next morning I am usually out in the merino bottoms under shorts. and the under armour under a loose fitting under armor shirt. And usually, unless it is really cold, I shed those two items at my first break.

On another note; you cannot beat the under armour biker length tight fitting under wear for hiking, especially in warm weather!!

I am not sure I see the gain with the thin zip-off pants in winter. Are they wind shell pants, over your base layer, perhaps? Can you explain that aspect of your system please?

Everybody's different, and people who spend enough time outdoors in the winter become acclimated to the cold, shrug it off, but it takes time. Beyond this, basecamping gear for me is both down-based and merino inspired. I won't part willingly with my Icebreaker merino bottoms and series of tops, and I won't forego the down jacket in the heart of cold season.

My lower half is pretty much oblivious to the cold, though if pushed I'd get a pair of down pants and be done with it. Short of standing around with a sleeping bag wrapped around you, down pants are the next best thing, pack into nothing, weigh nothing, and are never needed for actual hiking. So they stay dry and prized. Otherwise, give me merino.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    I am not sure I see the gain with the thin zip-off pants in winter. Are they wind shell pants, over your base layer, perhaps? Can you explain that aspect of your system please?

My system is based on a long sleeve tshirt and my "base" pants. When it gets a bit colder, I put on my fleece. Then I switch my cap for my watch cap. Then I put on my winter coat.

->Finally, if it gets really cold, I add my under armor/merino wool lowers under the pants. If I'm super cold or it's windy, I put on my non breathable rain pants and thus I have a three layer system for the lower half of me where I am wearing the middle layer as a default.

But it takes a lot for the lower half of me to get cold while hiking. Even in snow and cold, I've been known to be running around with just my base pants. As long as I keep my core toasty, the extra ventilation at the legs keeps me from overheating. It's just when I stop moving that I need to cover up.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I refuse to buy underarmour.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I agree. Silk-on-skin is time tested and good enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    If you can find it on sale, like a store closing, the tights($9) and boxers are sweet.

I would not pay full ticket, but I have enough to last me. $11 seems like alot for a pair of boxers, but they are worth $12.

I wish I could get brave enough to drop the money on a wool baselayer.

Images

... But in camp, I found my lower half getting nippy. I've been going back and forth between.

...!
    How about some army surplus field pant liners, cheap, synthetic and fairly light. http://www.rddusa.com/U-S-G-I-M-65-P...ear-Us-Gi.html
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

To be clear, Under Armour Heat Gear is designed to be worn in hot weather to keep you cool. The fabric is designed to feel cool against the skin and wick all your perspiration away from your skin as fast as possible. It's not the best choice to keep you warm in winter. Rather, you should be looking at Under Armour Cold Gear. This is essentially thin performance fleece, like capilene or waffle-checkered R fleece. To answer your question:
    5. Thin zip off pants
    You could revise items 1,2&4 into something like this:
    1- Thin merino wool long sleeve (roll sleeves up and unzip the chest when too hot)
    2- Big, puffy down jacket, like the Montbell Alpine down jacket or Feathered Friends Hyperion.
    This combination has several advantages over your current set up because 1) a longsleeve merino will both be warmer, and more comfortable in warm weather than a longsleeve synthetic, so the shortsleeve synthetic is not necessary, and 2) the puffy down jacket is going to be much warmer than the REI Spruce Run jacket, which, to my understanding, only has a single layer of 1.8 oz/sq yd Primaloft. Also, since you're talking about augmenting a 25 degree sleeping bag, I think what you need most is lots of LOFT. A down jacket will have much more loft and be much warmer than a fleece of comparable weight.

For your lower half, I'd second Greentick's call for Army surplus field liners. Mine weigh approximately 10 ounces and are very warm when worn under a pair of rain pants. On the other hand, if you're willing to change the pair of pants you use for winter hiking (which I might recommend), then a pair of heavy mountaineering softshell pants with a 3/4 zip for warm weather ventilation and a thin capilene long underwear layer might be all you need--that's what I use as my winter bottom layer and it works great since the pants have insulation and windproofness built right in, but the side zips allow my to vent if they feel too hot.

Good day folks! Over the last year, I've built up a pretty bombproof hiking kit. The last items for me to round out are my cold weather campwear, especially since I moved from a zero to a 25 degree bag: relying on some of my winter clothes to sleep in and close the gap.

Even in bitter cold, I have little problem staying warm when moving. But in camp, I found my lower half getting nippy. I've been going back and forth between.

I am planning on some hikes in the whites and maybe some winter camping in friendlier massachussetts climates. Cold but not mountaineering cold.

5. Thin zip off pants

What do you all think? This stuff is heavy so I want some opinions from others who have used these in the field in the winter.

Thanks in advance!
    I am not good with brand names, but I think the under armour stuff is a bit gimmicky, and I think the layer business in general is a bit misunderstoof and misapplied. In my opinion, for cold weather and cold wet weather, the skin layer is just a way of adding more insulation, without increasing your total surface area or overcompressing your existing layers. For optimal cold weater performance we really only need two layers, a snug but loose insulation layer, and reasonably windproof but still reasonably breathable shell. When cold weather hiking over several days it doesn't make sense to think about optimal warmth to weight performance on most days, since you have to carry the stuff for the extreme weather in your pack anyways. Personally, I have found it best to leave my skin layer in the pack for the extreme cold, and wear my sweater all the time, perhaps putting my wind shell on if I stop for lunch or travel across a wind open area. I choose my layers for the worst conditions I might encounter, but hike most of the time withount a skin layer. Legs are sometimes and exception to this rule. I often hike of ski in winter with just a skin layer and shorts on my legs, and maybe flannel boxers to keep my butt warm, and just a wool sweater up top. Then if it gets really cold and wet or cold and windy I put a skin layer on under my wool sweater, a 100wt fleece top over my wool sweater, a light nylon wind layer over that, just snug enough; and on my legs some 200wt fleece pants over my skin layer and some loose and light nylon wind/rain pants over those, and my hiking shorts over everything to help keep it all together and give me some pockets. Then of course mitts and hats and stuff. It's nice to have hand pockets and belly level when hiking also, especially in cold weather, but it can be tricky getting to them under a light wind shell. Slits maybe. Anyhow, you have the idea.

I guess I am saying dress for the worst weather, and then remove layers from there. The skin layer top is the first thing I take off. As materials go, I favour a mix of wool and synthetic. For the skin layer I am not so fussy as long as its light and fuzzy and comfortable and snug fitting without being encumbering. I don't like the body armor stuff than seems too heavy for its function. Any medium/heavy wool layers I like keep on, so any medium/heavy extra layers I prefer 100wt or 200wt fleece so I don't have to worry about them getting wet. For wind shells I prefer cheap light nylon, reasonably breathable for my wind jacket, maybe a little more waterproof for wind/rain/snow pants. For heavy rain its a sylnylon rain poncho/tarp over everything.

My typical mid winter clothing system...

Feet:
    thin wool socks - alternate and mix and match
    medium wool socks - alternate and mix and match
    heavy wool socks - alternate and mix and match
    taller wool socks - alternate and mix and match

Bottom:
    Long skin layer - silk or poly - NORMALLY WORN
    200wt fleece pant - normally packed
    Light Nylon Wind/Rain Pants - normally packed
    Hiking Shorts - NORMALLY WORN

Top:
    Skin layer - silk or poly or wool - normally packed
    Medium/Heavy Wool Sweater - NORMALLY WORN
    100wt or 200wt fleece over sweater - normally packed
    Light Nylon Wind Jacket - normally packed
    Sylnylon Rain Poncho/Tarp - normally packed

Hands and Head:
    Medium Wool Mitts - kept handy
    Medium Wool Hat - kept handy
    Medium Wool Neck Tube Thingy - kept handy
    Light Brimmed Hat - NORMALLY WORN
    (Rain Poncho has hood also)

Extra Emergency Winter Sleep/Clothing gear:
    Stanfields Long Underwear
    I also have a pair of Stanfields 100% wool long underwear combis (trap door and all).
    They are loose enough yet snug enough to fit over the skin layers and under the other layers without overcompressing anything. In mid-winter when really really cold or miserable weather is possible and I am out for more than a weekend I will bring them and keep them in reserve as emergency sleep wear and extra clothing layers. They are a good thing to keep in a car also, as they will fit under anything you might have on when you get stuck.

I usually bring along some cotton flannel boxers also, for extra warmth there.

What is a Watch Cap?
    You are never too old.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    What is a Watch Cap?
    Specifically, it is a a type of military-issued winter hat, usually wool.
    http://www.villagehatshop.com/goverm...watch-cap.html

Generically, it means a beanie, toque, wool/fleece hat, ski hat, etc.

A winter head piece in other words.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-23-2008 at 15:09.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Oops. I missed the title of the thread. Yeah, for stationary/camp wear, its different.

I say wool over thin cotton for around a camp, if you have a wood stove for washing and drying clothes every day or two. Wear the cotton underwear around camp, and the wool underwear when away from camp, and synthetic skin layers and fleece overlayers for extra stuff that remains packed until needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++