WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rocket04
    And Lint's also the founder of the B.L.A.H.S.! Beware, it's all an elaborate plot to take over the trail. I wonder if he saw my entries in the registers in reference to that...
    That's my favorite trail term. I heard it from Still Learnin' over the summer in Jersey then saw it in one of the registers. My hat's off to you Mr. Lint. Let me get it straight though
    Black Lung Alcoholic Hiker (ing?) Society?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise
    ....You're taking the actions of a few madmen and fundamentalists and judging that to be the true religious ethos. I also wonder what Jesus (certainly a reformer, Son of God or not), Rev. Dr. King, Daniel Berrigan, Martin Luther and others would say to your claims that religious people can not be free thinkers and agents of social change.
    I find fascinating that Jesus, certainly one of history's most profound liberals, today is championed by the most profoundly unthinking religious bigots.

Weary, with apologies to those increasingly minority Christians who truly are capable of reason and understanding.

Dear Lint

Having a backpack doesn't mean a person is a hiker anymore than having a Bible means someone is a follower of Christ. There are some who reason and question and find that God truly has all the answers. There are some who have observed and used the ability to think who have come to the realization that there truly is a God.

Sadly not all hikers are responsible, not are who are religious are either. Just as a drunken hiker in town or hostel gives a bad name to the hiking community, so can someone who calls themselves religious and............ well you seem to be a thinker,
    you filled in the blank already.

Personally, I would rather not be known as religious, but as a Christian. A follower
    of the one who would teach us not to be or do the evil things you mentioned.

I pray that I am a better Christian than I am a speller. Have a nice day and keep your soles on the trail.

rtr

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I find fascinating that Jesus, certainly one of history's most profound liberals, today is championed by the most profoundly unthinking religious bigots.

Weary, with apologies to those increasingly minority Christians who truly are capable of reason and understanding.

It seems that a lot of todays Xians believe IN Jesus,

very few believe LIKE Jesus,
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    I certainly hope you aren't calling Lint a FOOL

Matthew 5

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
    Now, now Smoky...you know I was repeating what the Bible says.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    I certainly hope you aren't calling Lint a FOOL

Matthew 5

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
    Does that mean Mr. T is going to burn in hell? If so, I pity the fool... Oops, now I'm in trouble too.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    Now, now Smoky...you know I was repeating what the Bible says.
    yea..my reference was from your bible too.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Pardon me if my comments on christianity offended you, but this is something I feel strongly about. I wasn't trying to attack Christians personally. I know alot of Christians and am even friends with some. I know alot of people who are sexist and racist too, and I'll do my best to tear down their twisted beliefs by pointing out the flaws in this kind of thought.

If you want to believe in fairy tales, ghosts, space aliens, and Santa, by all means go for it. But don't be surprised when someone points out how silly these beliefs are. As long as these goofy beliefs stay out of the lives of nonbelievers we can all peacefully coexist, but when they start to get in the way of our lives, expect some resistance. Christianity is forced down our throats every time ya turn around! Pro-lifers have made abortion illegal in some areas. Religionists have put the ten commandments in public spaces. Congress, under McCarthyism, inserted the phrase "under God" into our Pledge of Allegiance, and then had "In God We Trust" put on currency. Fundamentalist Protestants and right-wing Catholics try thier hardest to impose their narrow morality on us, resisting women's rights, freedom for religious minorities and unbelievers, gay and lesbian rights, and civil rights for all. Sorry folks, but I can't sit back quietly while this type of thinking is being promoted as good. People accept religion because they have been brainwashed from birth. You don't need to keep believing in Santa forever.

Default Me, too....

I, too, feel strongly about my faith in God, through Jesus Christ. What I don't do is criticize, nor condemn, nor rant and rave against those who disagree with me, as you seem to do with those who disagree with you.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    I, too, feel strongly about my faith in God, through Jesus Christ. What I don't do is criticize, nor condemn, nor rant and rave against those who disagree with me, as you seem to do with those who disagree with you.
    That's because no one is forcing Buddhism, Wicca, Islam or any other state sponsored religion down your throat. There are several 501(c)(3) christian corporations that enjoy tax exempt status while supporting clear political objectives. A percentage of every tax dollar we get sucked out of our pockets, supports Christianity.

Also the flash of a female breast on national TV unleased a Christian fury that threatens freedom of speech to say nothing of the obvious misogyny of this extreme cultural reaction to a harmless event. No, we do not have the open antifemale stance of Islam, ours is more insidious.

As the old song lyric said "One man of peace dies and 100 wars began". My biggest problem with Christianity (but not Christ) is the giant loophole in the commandment, Thou shalt not kill. It does not say "unless they might be bad guys, who might send exploding donkeys to get us".

Quote Originally Posted by Lint
    People accept religion because they have been brainwashed from birth. You don't need to keep believing in Santa forever.
    Or do people after years "sin" people merely attatch themselves to religion out of fear? A fear that maybe one day when they die their soul will rest in a "bad place?" For me this seems to be the motive for many religious followers these days. Is that a just reason to become a religious follower?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise
    Oh, no! There's a Bible in the shelter! Don't anybody touch it or you'll start a holy war!

So I guess "You don't have to read it" is too simple of an answer here. It's not like someone's standing on the picnic table prostelitizing. It's just another book left for some people to enjoy, and if Nietzsche were left in a shelter, I'd read that, too. Because some people disagree with the ideas espoused in any book is no cause for censorship.

Sal, if those who want to ban other books, movies, TV and radio programming (because their content doesn't measure up to their moralistic views) would adopt your policy above, this world would be a far better, peaceful place.

Just change the channel, don't buy the magazine, don't pay to see the movie. But how dare anyone say you or I can't see it. And if it's "the kids" we're protecting, that's a parental responsibility (or at least a parental option, as some parents WANT their kids to NOT live a sheltered life). But it's not a responsibility that should be imposed upon "society."

Registered Troll
    Images

Having just finished a Fontana to Hwy 64 section, I'm going to weigh in on this. In no fewer than 3 shelters, there were loud "JESUS SAVES" grafitti messages. I don't remember if these hikers left anything about themselves or the trail, just a loud religious propaganda message.

Unlike the other regular graffiti, this was in HUGE BLOCK LETTERING so you couldn't ignore it. Like a screaming billboard. I don't remember if the hiker(s) who left these messages said anything about themselves, or their trail experience. A real turn-off.

In another shelter, someone had left a pocket New Testiment with the register. I threw it into the firepit.

Now, some of you may remember me defending ordinary graffiti scribblings in shelters. Ordinary, yes. The kind that tell you about a hiker or his trail experience, or his poetic musings, or just his initials and date. ... But this impersonal religious PROPAGANDA is just plain useless and offensive. Just like the political pin someone else left at yet another shelter. (Yes, an actual political button, the kind you'd pin to your lapel. You guess which presidential candidate it was boosting.)

Bottom line, registers and valuable graffiti space in shelters should be reserved for comments about you and the AT. Leave your detergent commercials and political and religious plugs in the maintstream media.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve hiker
    Having just finished a Fontana to Hwy 64 section, I'm going to weigh in on this. In no fewer than 3 shelters, there were loud "JESUS SAVES" grafitti messages. I don't remember if these hikers left anything about themselves or the trail, just a loud religious propaganda message.

Unlike the other regular graffiti, this was in HUGE BLOCK LETTERING so you couldn't ignore it. Like a screaming billboard. I don't remember if the hiker(s) who left these messages said anything about themselves, or their trail experience. A real turn-off.

In another shelter, someone had left a pocket New Testiment with the register. I threw it into the firepit.

Now, some of you may remember me defending ordinary graffiti scribblings in shelters. Ordinary, yes. The kind that tell you about a hiker or his trail experience, or his poetic musings, or just his initials and date. ... But this impersonal religious PROPAGANDA is just plain useless and offensive. Just like the political pin someone else left at yet another shelter. (Yes, an actual political button, the kind you'd pin to your lapel. You guess which presidential candidate it was boosting.)

Bottom line, registers and valuable graffiti space in shelters should be reserved for comments about you and the AT. Leave your detergent commercials and political and religious plugs in the maintstream media.
    Within days of the completion of the new shelter on the East Branch of the Pleasant River, someone defaced it with large block letters. I don't remember the message, but MATC notified the AT Ranger at Harpers Ferry.

The perpetrator was traced down, confessed, cleaned the damage and paid a fine.

It's illegal to deface property on the trail, regardless of the size of the printing. But it's an offense that won't be stopped without hikers taking the initiative and reporting offenders.

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

Default graffitti on trails

Quote Originally Posted by steve hiker

In another shelter, someone had left a pocket New Testiment with the register. I threw it into the firepit...................................etc.,etc .,etc.

sooooooooo, if the letters were smaller, say in a size 2 Times Roman font they would've been okay with you?

Come on....graffitti sucks no matter how small or large!

get down to the basics...you have defaced the property of many.

sign the shelter register...NOT the WALLS!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default Since we're on the topic...

I'll never undrstand why an "almighty god" who had the power to create the heaven and the earth and could "zap" anyone of us at anytime needs to play this game of testing my faith. What kind of god needs to test his creation's faith, by sitting back while needless suffering occurs to his mortal servants. What kind of god lets those who profess to be his spokesmen molest innocent children? What kind of god allows siamese twins to be born or innocent babies to die of cancer? Why does he need to lure me with the hope of eternal life and threaten me with damnation and hell? Why does he get credit for all the good things and none of the bad...hell, he made us this way, didn't he? I know, I know, it is us doing this to ourselves, but why the big worship game? Is this really a loving, compasionate, caring god?...I think not.

Again, why the big game of faith?...if there really is a God does he really need me to worshiip him when he won't even drop by now and then. As a child I was so naive...I used to say my prayers and go to Sunday school. God never once "returned the call." It is interesting that he selects certain indivduals to chat with, like our President or Jerry Fallwell.

To get to my point, we don't need mortal beings preaching to us or leaving bibles in shelters on the Trail. You can't trust what human beings say or write about religion, it has to be a personal thing between you and your creator...if there is one.

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

I am always amazed at the many colorful dialogs posted on this site. To those who "are not religious" I will point out: that your opinions on morality, Christian literature or art, preaching or other such religious things in general- have to each you become YOUR religion. It is a religion based on self. So, if you tie up this message board with all your criticisms, put downs, condenscending remarks and the such- you violate the very principals you set out to prove. While telling one group (Christians) to get off your back- your jumping on theirs! Hmmm, there is a profound english word for this type of heart issue: hypocrisy.

To those who profess to be Christians: I am a true follower of the one who created the Appalachian Trail. He has a name and His name is Jesus Christ. I have NEVER considered myself to be religious but instead the practitioner of what our Lord says is the ONLY religion that He accepts as pure and without fault..."to take care of the widowed and orphaned in their time of need and to keep yourself from being spotted by the things of this world." Remember, salt and light we are and it is shed on those who live in darkness.

One more thing, you ask "what kind of god would cause all the evil, destruction, sickness, cancers and all else that afflicts each person born into this world? It's us. You see, at the very beginning, our ancestors were given the opportunity to do what was good in God's sight and afforded every tool to accomplish His will... but chose to sin against a God that loved them. God had warned them that if they chose right they would have everything but if they chose wrong... they would die- by THEIR own choice. The disobeyed God and what was the result? Death. We are all the children of disobedience. So God sent His own son to take our place in death so that we could have a second chance to chose right from wrong. Christians have chosen to follow God all the way home this time but all others, continue chosing the same way of death their ancestors chose. This is why Christians leave pocket bibles and the such in shelters... to help you understand your need to be saved from the very sins that are leading you to death. Jesus Christ said, "I came to give YOU life and that is life more abundant!"

God doesn't hate you... he loves you more than you will ever love Him. And, you and I don't deserve Him and for sure, can make no demands on the one who created you and the earth you hike on!

By the way, when Pete Farley died on Mt. Madison in '02, it was this message that I shared with that old man all the way from Kitahdin to Madison. And he finally understood... only hours before His death. So, I will scatch this into this message board:

JESUS SAVES!

Spanky
    ME-NY '02
    NY-PA '03
    Canada - Key West, '05

Images

then your god is courtin a feud, kinda liek an ole hillbilly, your daddy wronged us now our family holds it against your grandkids,

you really think that is how it works?

what if the xians are wrong!

The Goddess of the Mtns is VERY upset about about you accepting a blood sacrifice, hoping for this sacrifice to pay for your evil-doings (sins). I had a personal conference with the Goddess friday night and she told me that blood sacrifice upset her and she didn't accept torture and death as acceptable means of salvation, she prefers Peace and Love. The TRUE Goddess just LOVES you into submission....oh how I LOVE the Goddess, she doesn't hold grudges.

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Boink! Boink! Boink! Boink! Boink!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    Boink! Boink! Boink! Boink! Boink!
    My point exactly,

give up the torture and death, Goddess does not approve,
    SHE prefers Loving and caring for her planet and her children,

Mother Earth will make you strong,
    If you give HER Loving care!

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++