WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default need colorado knowledge fast

so suddenly im headed to south fork, colorado for a week or so and want to know about hiking in the area. anyone from around there or got experience there?
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    so suddenly im headed to south fork, colorado for a week or so and want to know about hiking in the area. anyone from around there or got experience there?
    When are you going? It is almost November and you will be right next door the San Juans and Wolf Creek Pass...the area of heaviest snowfall in Colorado.

Not to say you can't go hiking, but you may need to stick lower depending upon the snow.

I don't know the lower elevations as well as the higher elevations in that area. But, I'd pick up some Trails Illustrated maps for the area (TI 139,140,142) and see what looks good to you. You can most def pick up these maps in South Fork.

Give these guys a call for people more knowledgeable info about the local conditions:
    http://www.coloradodirectory.com/docs/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

i leave in the morning. i will be in southfork. never been there before. i will be doing some work but will have time for hiking. should i take the snowshoes? are there any trails you recommend? do you live in the area?
    U.S. Marines.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    i leave in the morning. i will be in southfork. never been there before. i will be doing some work but will have time for hiking. should i take the snowshoes? are there any trails you recommend? do you live in the area?
    Currently, there is not enough snow for snowshoeing, however it is now late Fall. It it will be cold, windy and high altitude. Unless you are prepared/experienced for it, it may not be fun.

As mentioned, I do not live in that area though so I only know the main trails up at higher elevations. My knowledge of local trails is limited to what I can see on the maps (not with me right now).

I'd strongly urge you to give Docs a call and/or stop in when you get there. They will have local info more accurate and in depth than mine.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-24-2008 at 16:43.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

docs. will do. thanks alot!
    U.S. Marines.

++ New Posts ++