WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Wild hogs/Jocassee

Anyone ever come across these? I noticed an area hiking this morning around lake Jocassee that looked like some hog's had been rooting around on. I don't mind snakes or bears or anything else but I really, really, do not want to get worked over by some wild pigs.

Images

I'm sure they're in the Jocassee area, but I've never seen any there. I'd rather run into a bear than I hog, though. I've run across both, and hogs are the only ones I've seen not to immediately run away. Not fun.

Journal Entries

Bear spray. Don't leave the trailhead without it.

What caliber bear spray do you recommend? HaHa
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Journal Entries

I dunno, trouthunter. This time of year? Maybe a #10 or #12 black ant, or a #0 Rooster Tail in the Grasshopper pattern.

Images

Yes, I have seen boar on the Foothills near Lake Jocassee and I got a couple pictures of them too.

There are boar pretty much everywhere now.

I really like to hike alone and I've hiked the Foothills Trail alone the past few years in March. The boar and the bear haven't been a problem or much of a concern. In the news though it seems that bear are more reason for concern with recent deaths and maulings where I don't recall a single event involving hogs mauling or killing anyone. I don't hike with a dog. I don't carry a gun or pepper spray as I don't see a need for either...that isn't to say I wouldn't carry either if I felt that there were a need. It's also easier to sit at a desk and computer claiming to have little if any fear of boar or bear than to have them outside your tent at night. What scares me is Visitors...you know- those white ones with the big, dark eyes.... Being all alone out in the deep, dark woods...no dog to protect me or alert me to danger...no gun or pepper spray.....Aliens ! they're out there and they want more than the food bag!
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    What scares me is Visitors...you know- those white ones with the big, dark eyes.... Being all alone out in the deep, dark woods...no dog to protect me or alert me to danger...no gun or pepper spray.....Aliens ! they're out there and they want more than the food bag!
    I'm laughing at the image of a spindly alien, who possesses the technology to travel across galaxies, leaping and swiping at a hung food bag in the night.

What scares me is Visitors...you know- those white ones with the big, dark eyes.... Being all alone out in the deep, dark woods...no dog to protect me or alert me to danger...no gun or pepper spray.....Aliens ! they're out there and they want more than the food bag!

Hilarious

Images

In the news though it seems that bear are more reason for concern with recent deaths and maulings where I don't recall a single event involving hogs mauling or killing anyone.
    Killing, no. Mauling, yes. Wild boar are deceptively and amazingly fast. I was treed by a boar once on Duda property in west Brevard County, FL. That's what I get for trespassing. I guess it's true that they can't look up because after they get you up in a scrub oak they quickly lose interest. I was maybe 15 then and would not want to have to drop pack and climb a tree at that speed now.

Images

Never had anything come after me. Thats pretty amazing considering the things I did to get a good video/photo of the wildlife.

People need to stop worry'n about anykind of wild life and just worry about those other idiot humans - they are your only need of concern. What do I recomend to deal with these idiot humans - gun, knife or your hands, as long as long as your skilled enough to kill them with your weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    I dunno, trouthunter. This time of year? Maybe a #10 or #12 black ant, or a #0 Rooster Tail in the Grasshopper pattern.
    HaHa, thanks for your sense of humor!
    I think I'll try a deer hair mouse for feral hog though
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez The Killer View Post
    I'm laughing at the image of a spindly alien, who possesses the technology to travel across galaxies, leaping and swiping at a hung food bag in the night.

No. The visitors aren't after the food bag. They like to probe humans!
    Though a friend once told me about this time he was dodging the AMC's fees by stealth camping when out of no where this bright beam of light came down and sucked all his Snickers Bars into a UFO.

"Killing, no. Mauling, yes. Wild boar are deceptively and amazingly fast. I was treed by a boar once on Duda property in west Brevard County, FL. That's what I get for trespassing. I guess it's true that they can't look up because after they get you up in a scrub oak they quickly lose interest. I was maybe 15 then and would not want to have to drop pack and climb a tree at that speed now. "
    The only story I can recall of a boar doing damage to a human was a woman who was tusked in the leg trying to save her dog...the boar wasn't after her but they do attack and kill dogs.

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

I've never seen a boar while hiking, but I've shot at a few around our land. They are mean and they tear up peoples fences! I've had a few experiences with UFOs though. I couldnt get in my house one night I was shaking so bad after being followed by an object. I've come to the conclusion that not only are they real, but they can do whatever they want to. I leave it be. It gives me vertigo just thinking about it.

may be the hogs are the the ones in the space ships?

No need to fear hogs. Like most wildlife, they run when they encounter humans. Their reputation for ferocity is larger than life. Just give them some space and some respect and they should scatter.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    No need to fear hogs. Like most wildlife, they run when they encounter humans. Their reputation for ferocity is larger than life. Just give them some space and some respect and they should scatter.
    Yeah Right ! I guess you've never run into Ms. Piggy after she and Kermit have had an arguement...geez! Talk about ferocity...she knows Juiy Jut Suey...she's Gracie trained and she packs a handgun.

Saw three large hogs (together) at Sharp Top (just north of Bly Gap) on 10/06/08. They stopped and looked at me, then quickly moved on. I was glad they weren't very interested in me.

Journal Entries

Trouthunter- doesn't anyone make a 2/0 Red Delicious? 1/0 Ripe Acorn?

Seriously, what do you know about fishing the AT?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I agree completely, Mowgli.
    But if they don't do what we agree they should do, I am prepared to try to teach them to show a little respect and to give me a little space.

A friend and I ran into two on the way up Rabun Bald a few months back. They were massive! Once they saw/heard us they ran, unbelievably fast for their sizes. They were probably close to being waist high on me and I'm 6'3"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++