WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Knee injury

Question Knee injury

Went on a 4 day hike last week in the smokies. I didnt fall or twist my knee or anything but my right knee started aching on day 2 and by day 4 going downhill it really hurt. No swelling,some stiffness. Have been reading on the internet and dont know if I have patella tendinitis or a torn cartilage. Anyone have a similar problem and if so what did you do to get better? Never had a problem with my right knee when backpacking. Did have surgery on it 20 yrs ago from running and overuse.

Images

You'd do better to ask a professional in the sports medicine field. But as someone who broke his leg in two places a short while back, then had two surgeries early this year, I can tell you that you want to pay attention to your footwear, especially arch and ankle support. And use a staff or poles. I went back on the trail too soon against my doctor's advice and it got me another 6 months of pain and physical rehab. I'm just now able to try again (and I will in about a month). Do what the doc says.

I wear two Shields Knee Braces when hiking...a little bulky, but darn near impossible to twist or hurt your knee while wearing one...

Your ortho Dr can write an Rx to get one....no hiking pain in the knee while wearing the Sheilds brace. Very painful if I forget to put them on

No worry about twisting the knee wrong as long as I have it on...small price to pay to prevent a meniscus tear or have something else go wrong

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

This may or may not relate to your injury but I have had a few issues with knee pain over the years hiking the AT that I associate with the additional stress they go through on the downhill sections. I’ve even cut a hike short because the pain was so bad. I ran into an older gentleman about a year ago (hiking NB into the NOC) that seemed to have no trouble going down the hills and I watched his gate and noticed he walked somewhat in a bowlegged fashion on the down slopes, which is the opposite of my slightly inward stance. It turns out my bad mechanics was putting a lot of stress on the outside of my knee causing a pretty common over use type injury. I have been back on the trail several times since my chance encounter with the older hiker, and have worked on changing my gate to reduce the stress on the outside of my knee. By opening up my stance the load on my knee was more evenly distributed between the inside and outside ligaments and the result has been remarkable. I can walk down faster and do it in little or no pain at all. I just rode the "rollercoaster" SB out of Harpers Ferry last week and what I thought would beat me up was a fun ride.
    Kevin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deerleg View Post
    This may or may not relate to your injury but I have had a few issues with knee pain over the years hiking the AT that I associate with the additional stress they go through on the downhill sections. I’ve even cut a hike short because the pain was so bad. I ran into an older gentleman about a year ago (hiking NB into the NOC) that seemed to have no trouble going down the hills and I watched his gate and noticed he walked somewhat in a bowlegged fashion on the down slopes, which is the opposite of my slightly inward stance. It turns out my bad mechanics was putting a lot of stress on the outside of my knee causing a pretty common over use type injury. I have been back on the trail several times since my chance encounter with the older hiker, and have worked on changing my gate to reduce the stress on the outside of my knee. By opening up my stance the load on my knee was more evenly distributed between the inside and outside ligaments and the result has been remarkable. I can walk down faster and do it in little or no pain at all. I just rode the "rollercoaster" SB out of Harpers Ferry last week and what I thought would beat me up was a fun ride.

Interesting, so you are saying spread your legs further apart, like maybe even further apart than your shoulders?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Were you using poles? They make a big difference. Also, it takes time to adjsut, esp with your knees. May be an ovesue injury. Have to take it easy, esp in the Smokies. I alo take glucosomine twice a day.
    Ice. Stretch the ligaments by stretching hams, quads and ITB band. Take advil. if no better, go to Dr.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Glucosimine Chondriton. Get it in your system, takes a few weeks. Your problem may stem from repeatitive impact. If you try to curl 100 lbs. with your bicep but you don't have the forearm strength for it you can cause your joints problems, regardless of your biceps abilities. That is just an example. My only recomendation is getting on the Chondriton and staying hydrated.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Interesting, so you are saying spread your legs further apart, like maybe even further apart than your shoulders?
    Yes maybe that much. I was a distance runner from Jr. High until I was almost 40 and was taught to run in a very linier fashion with toes pointing slightly in for a good solid push through the stride which is very efficient for running on a track (if I was running through the sand on a beach you could draw a straight line though my foot prints), and later did a lot of walking “Indian” style to walk quietly thru the woods. It was more a matter of being aware of my mechanics, experimenting around by opening up my stride till I was aware of the difference.
    Kevin

Images

I have knee problems too. The only thing that helped me was a Cho-Pat knee brace. It was like magic.

im trying to shake a knee injury. ive gotten on the chondroitin and am taking apple cider vinegar every day.
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I found glucosmine worked the best for me. I get the mega stuff through Swanson Vitamins.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

This sounds an awful lot like tendonitis, especially if it was a sharp pain just below the kneecap with no apparent swelling and it was worse on the downhills. You may have just overdid the first few days. I experienced the problem once and was in great pain, but fortunately it never recurred. Certainly visit your physician if you're concerned, but otherwise try anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen or my new favorite, naproxen sodium) in double-doses for up to a week, laying off as much walking as possible.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Been there

Stay away from knee braces - it compresses the patella and rubs the cartilage. Biking can build the muscles around the knee and help alleviate pain. Llightening the load does wonders. I almost had to stop hiking due to the pain that you described. I went to a very good orthopedic surgeon who told me how to take care of and protect my knees. I followed the biking prescription and threw the brace away - the pain has been gone for years. Just my .02

Happens to me all the time!

I tore it up pretty bad playing high-school football of all things, 5 years later it still bugs me.

No actual damage in the knee, just tends to get sore.

Ibuprofen is a God send!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah j View Post
    Went on a 4 day hike last week in the smokies. I didnt fall or twist my knee or anything but my right knee started aching on day 2 and by day 4 going downhill it really hurt. No swelling,some stiffness. Have been reading on the internet and dont know if I have patella tendinitis or a torn cartilage. Anyone have a similar problem and if so what did you do to get better? Never had a problem with my right knee when backpacking. Did have surgery on it 20 yrs ago from running and overuse.
    I was about a half a day south of SMNP when I gave my knee a twist on a steep downhill. Pretty sharp pain.

I rested about 15 minutes, gently flexing my knee and then gingerly moved down to the highway crossing in the pass. Got a ride to Hiker Inn and did ice and heat soaking. Took it easy the next day. The following day, resumed the hike with no problems.

However, if there would have still been pain, I don't know what I would have done in terms of going to a doctor or waiting out the pain.

In your case, the clear decision I would make is to go to get medical evaluation and suggestions for therapy or signs of when to resume hiking.

I have had knee surgery 2 years ago and I know the pain. I have done day hikes ot the AT. No overnites with backpacks. Also I have to be carefull on what section I am hiking.

Images

I have the same problem. Diagnosis: kneecaps do not track properly due to weakness of one of the quadriceps muscles. Treatment: Stretching and specific exercises to strengthen the muscles that control and support the knee. I also do what others posted.

++ New Posts ++