WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wallet ....?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Shouldn't be too tough to find a nylon/velcro wallet in the trift store.
    Yep. The one I use was a birthday present from 6th grade that I never used because it wasn't big enough to hold all my credit cards and crap. But it's the perfect size for a thru-hike and weighs next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Bills wrapped aound debit/credit card and driver's license, rubber band around all, inside a ziplock.
    I like that idea. I might have gotten there eventually but I was still missing the rubber band. Thanks.

Having the right zip pocket in your townie clothes is important also.

Images

Default it your info

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    OK..everyone stop. Take a deep breath. As some of us said "It's a wallet!"

I know they sell cannonballs for everything an outdoors person could want..but we have to draw the line somewhere.

KISS, do a little dirtbagging, etc. It's good for you..
    i make mine out of duct tape and tyvek to keep it cheap and make what I want. i never carry a wallet hiking in my pocket, i carry it around my neck and shoulder. it may drop out of pocket or i may get separated from pack. i carry medical info and contacts in it.
    its not just a wallet.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    KISS. Why spend money for a superlight weight wallet.

A ziplock is (almost) free and weighs .375 oz. I'm all about going lightweight, but sometimes saving a 1/4 oz for $20 ain't worth it. Hell $5 ain't worth it when you get a simple, light and waterproof wallet for (almost) free.

I've hiked with a quart freezer bag but don't care for it.

Just noticed this. Out of curiosity, why? I don't think the other wallets will be that functionally different on a long hike (you are carrying cash, id, a debit card and maybe a credit card or two at the most after all).

YMMV
    I don't care for it because of the multiple card magnetic strip syndrome....now I know I could be careful and not stack two magnetic strips back to back....but i just enjoy having a wallet. Nothing more than that....and when i used the quart bag b4 i didn't use a rubber band....that's a great idea....but i'm set on a wallet...not for weight savings vs. the bag....but i do want it to be light.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Here's the link to one of BPL's wallets. I got this one for the trail (.11oz) and liked it so much that I use it all the time.

THATS the SITE!!!! THANKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    Here is the page on backpackinglight.com that offers four lightweight choices.
    THAT"S WHAT I:M LOOOKING FOR !!! THANKS!!!

As to all who want me to spend my money on other, more important items....thanks for the heads up. I"ll be looking for an agent soon to help me with my finances as soon as the Lakers sign me to that contract. I'll keep you all in mind.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i make mine out of duct tape and tyvek to keep it cheap and make what I want.

That's great. At least you are not paying money for it...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    As to all who want me to spend my money on other, more important items....thanks for the heads up. I"ll be looking for an agent soon to help me with my finances as soon as the Lakers sign me to that contract. I'll keep you all in mind.
    Any ideas???
    Ok, so you were asking for advice and then criticizing the advice given. Are you sure you're not Minnesota Smith?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Are you sure you're not Minnesota Smith?
    Tad harsh.

But it does seem that people are testy and short fused this week.
    Must be day length.

Ok, so you were asking for advice and then criticizing the advice given. Are you sure you're not Minnesota Smith?
    My sincerest of apologies. I have a bad habit of not communicating properly. I meant any ideas on the actual website I was looking for. Not ideas of what I was doing wrong, and not ideas of wallet options. Just a site I thought folks might help me find.

and my sincerest of apologies to Whiskey. Great idea, just not for me.

After the crap you wrote last night -- that only stayed up for a very short time before it was deleted -- you don't have the right to criticize anyone.

I'm surprised you weren't banned.

Garlic
    Images

I was getting groceries in Cascade Locks, OR on the PCT. It's a good sized town with relatively few hikers. I was showered and laundered, buying food for a zero day (no obvious trail food), and the clerk asked how the hike was going. I was frustrated, since I was trying to pretend I wasn't hiking for one day. I asked her how she knew I was on the trail, and she said, "Oh, that's easy, it's the hiker wallet." (ziploc bag)

I don't know why you'd need more than a ziploc and maybe a rubber band. All you'll have is a few bills, one card, the drivers license, and you'll want to keep it all dry, somehow which probably means a ziploc anyway.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

http://www.simblissity.net/ LiteFold ultralight wallets

Images

fishing liscence holder with a small piece of duct tape to make sure the top is secure. 1 dollar

Default wallet ....?

I don't care for it because of the multiple card magnetic strip syndrome....now I know I could be careful and not stack two magnetic strips back to back....but i just enjoy having a wallet. Nothing more than that....and when i used the quart bag b4 i didn't use a rubber band....that's a great idea....but i'm set on a wallet...not for weight savings vs. the bag....but i do want it to be light.
    I had that strip get messed up on one of my credit cards once. I got the little sleeves from the bank. I keep everything I have with a strip in one of those strips.

I am impressed with the duct tape,tyvek wallet. That indicates to me that one person has more than his share of createtivity or too much time.

While I am a zip lock bag wallet person I never used a rubber band on it.

After my hike in 2000 I took Pat from Maine to a nice restaurant. When it came time to pay, the waiter left the bill on the table. Pat and I were talking so I'd forgotten about it. The waiter came back to take the payment. So I reached into my pocket and pulled out my zip lock bag. It was funny as hell to see the waiter react to it. My credit card was in there mixed with cash and coins. The sleeve I had my credit card in was a similar green to the bills. As I rutted around for the card I tried to explain that we'd hiked the AT and that the zip lock was what I'd used as my wallet. He had that look of polite disbelief. I resumed using a real wallet after that.

Most days here at home I don't carry a wallet. Just a leather pouch key fob that is just mig enough for a credit card or debit card and some bills and loose change for Tim Hortons. For hiking the keys aren't really neccessary but the attachment point could be used when its in the backpack as alot of backpacks have a special clip in a pocket for important items. That might be an idea for some.

I like the idea of that protective card holder you get from banks. I think it might be made of tyvek. Anyhow one or two cards, perhaps in a card holder, some bills, a rubber band. That would work very well I should think. It's important having a handy pocket with a zipper once in town also. Something to keep in mind for your clothing choices.

Default Simblissity Wallet

I carried a Simblissity wallet on my PCT thru-hike this year, and overall I was happy to have it. I'm pretty sure I have the "LiteFOLD TL1", which looks about like a regular wallet. http://www.simblissity.net/

At $15, I liked it better than (just) a ziplock. Too often coming into a trail town one feels (and looks, and smells) like a hobo. A little thing like pulling a wallet out of my pocket rather than digging through a ziplock made me feel just that much less of an object of pity when buying something in a store, etc ...
    And for use in-town I could collect change in the appropriate pocket; up to you whether you want to worry about dumping change before leaving town, but for in-town use it's nice to not have it rattling around loose.

I normally kept this in a sandwich sized ziplock bag when in my pack, and of course in my pocket when in town, but it has cord loops to allow me to hang it around my neck for all-too-frequent times when my one pair of pants were drying and I wanted to go into a store or whatever wearing pocketless shorts.

It's not earthshaking, but all in all, I appreciated having it this year.

Brian Lewis
    http://postholer.com/brianle

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I carried a Simblissity wallet on my PCT thru-hike this year, and overall I was happy to have it. I'm pretty sure I have the "LiteFOLD TL1", which looks about like a regular wallet. http://www.simblissity.net/
    Their LiteFOLD TL2 is a neat idea also if you carry two cards, using the two cards as stiffeners for the folding action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++