WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    -------------
    well said. . .

Images

My nephew chiseled his and his childhood sweetheart's names (also the mother of his child) in the rocks at Charlies Bunion. I don't think anyone will be fining him because he was murdered in SLC, UT last year. I look forward to hiking in the Smokies with his son, my grand nephew, one day and showing him his mother's and father's name carved into a rock a mile high in the mountains.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    My nephew chiseled his and his childhood sweetheart's names (also the mother of his child) in the rocks at Charlies Bunion. I don't think anyone will be fining him because he was murdered in SLC, UT last year. I look forward to hiking in the Smokies with his son, my grand nephew, one day and showing him his mother's and father's name carved into a rock a mile high in the mountains.

i'm sorry to hear about your nephew. that's sad.
    while you're up there, don't forget to pee in the snow. REBEL!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i'm sorry to hear about your nephew. that's sad.
    while you're up there, don't forget to pee in the snow. REBEL!!
    I hear there may be an ice storm up there today.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

law, it's 60 degrees, maybe tomorrow, i think?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That will be one of the best uses ever of, let's call it, Graffiti. Sorry about your nephew but glad you have something that could live on forever in his memory.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    That will be one of the best uses ever of, let's call it, Graffiti. Sorry about your nephew but glad you have something that could live on forever in his memory.

yes but what if everybody did? I'd rather be remembered for cleaning something up ...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

It might be possible to visit such a special place without calling attention to something which may or may not now be done which was or would be wrong and can't or couldn't likely be made right. At least, it could be pointed out what may or may not have occurred is or would be wrong.

I won't dig for the regs unless someone wants them, but they're readily available. We shouldn't even need to post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    It might be possible to visit such a special place without calling attention to something which may or may not now be done which was or would be wrong and can't or couldn't likely be made right. At least, it could be pointed out what may or may not have occurred is or would be wrong.

I won't dig for the regs unless someone wants them, but they're readily available. We shouldn't even need to post them.
    They'll fall on deaf ears anyways. I think we can all agree that the graffiti that is being complained about is the obscene, offensive, and sometimes graphic displays that people choose to carve or draw with a sharpie. As well as some of the larger and more noticeable name carvings that seem too time consuming and energy wasting to even fathom.

I'm sorry but carving your initials is just no big deal to me on a box in the woods. How many "Regulations" does the shelter break in itself being an entity in the woods.

What the heck does this say?!?

A "special place" for me is the privy after my morning coffee. It's always entertaining to read the graffiti on the privy walls during this special time of day. I know it’s unlawful to deface shelters with graffiti, but I hope there’s an exception (at least an unofficial exception) for privy walls.

Does anyone have problems with graffiti on privy walls?

Images

Default Another day of trolling on WhiteBlaze Pond

I'm sorry but carving your initials is just no big deal to me on a box in the woods.
    You are not sorry as evidenced by your disrespectful word choice and your persistent trolling. The term box in this context is not a neutral term and you know damned well it isn't.

Backcountry visitors who think like you may in reality think don't get to pick and choose what's acceptable graffiti and then act based upon their own determination. This self-centered, shortsighted thinking is what's at the root of the problem.

Any defacing of public property is apt to encourage more, increase tolerance of it and diminishes the experiences of others, no matter how insignificant it seems at the time to those who do it. None is acceptable, nor is condoning it.

How many "Regulations" does the shelter break?
    This is a ridiculous question and an attempt to divert attention away from the issue. Let's see if we can stay on-topic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Does anyone have problems with graffiti on privy walls?
    It's every bit as objectionable, disrespectful and inappropriate. I suggest you sign the privy register instead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    What the heck does this say?!?
    I considered rewriting my post and may still, but if no one is interested in a serious discussion about the issue there may be no point and it may not be worth my effort. Until such time as I do, I would refer you to the post immediately preceeding mine which points in the direction I was headed.

Thank You! No one is interested in a serious discussion on a non-serious topic.

I considered rewriting my post and may still, but if no one is interested in a serious discussion about the issue there may be no point and it may not be worth my effort. Until such time as I do, I would refer you to the post immediately preceeding mine which points in the direction I was headed.

We are having a serious discussion. Just because we are the opposite opinion of your holy "ness" does not mean we are being disrespectful in our posts...it means we differ in opinion. Another human character flaw developed over the last 10,000 years. Just like cave paintings to hieroglyphics to shelter graffiti.

I'm not trolling nor am I deferring from the topic. I asked a serious question about how much damage a shelter area does on it's own just being there for people to use. I don't mind the fact that it concentrates our impact on the wilderness but I'm also not going to moan about someone leaving their initials behind on a shelter wall to signify that yes in fact, JGH '03 was there. I don't care who JGH was or why he felt compelled to put his initials there.

I did agree that some of the offensive graffiti is mostly unnecessary with pictures of nefarious human poses and parts of all sorts. It is childish, but carving your name, initials, the year you were there, or something of that sort is completely a non issue for me. As for the rest of it, that's why trail maintenance groups go and spray paint over most of it. Sorry you read it while it was there, it wasn't me, so don't attack my position for simply being human and not a ......no name calling.

Journal Entries

....How many "Regulations" does the shelter break in itself being an entity in the woods.
    None that I know of, as long as the shelter was built by a maintaining club with the permission of the landowner And in accordance with whatever environmental laws, such as set back from streams and the like, that a state may impose. Do you know of any?

Weary

the building of shelters breaks nature's laws. ripping a bunch of trees down to build a wooden box for people to trash is unnatural

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the building of shelters breaks nature's laws. ripping a bunch of trees down to build a wooden box for people to trash is unnatural
    That's why some of us are opposed to trashing them with graffiti. But I agree with LOne Wolf that we should ban the construction of houses in wooded areas because houses are "unnatural" in the woods.

I just finished reading a biography of Buzz Caverly, who worked in the park for 45 years -- most of the time as a supervisor, or the park director. He was forced to retire because of public opposition to some of his policies -- like when he tore down cabins and replaced them with lean-tos, which he thought were more compatible with Gov. Baxter's desire for a wild park.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Thank You! No one is interested in a serious discussion on a non-serious topic.
    It is a serious topic or it wouldn't be a prohibited act.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++