WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    There we are, blame it on those French cavemen who painted animals on cave walls.
    No bull there.

But we can still blame the French if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Sure won't ruin mine. I like to read all the ones to see how old the shelter is. Some of the ones from the 70's are great

Swear I saw a big LW carved up in New Hampshire? Probly just a coincidence since it wasn't the smokies
    i don't stay in shelters in NH or the Smokys

Images

The "Monkey wrench gang" wrote in a shelter if I remember right. Maybe thats how the signatures got started. Young kids heading out on an adventure of a lifetime sometimes are a little carefree. Some only know if what they have read in books on the trail. Maybe after reading Ed Garvey and reaching their first shelter and saw all of the signatures, they felt inclined to do so too.
    I personnally don't care for the big drawings and the 4:20 stuff. Kids visiting the shelters with their parents shouldn't have to see this. "I" would try to set a better example for the youth on our trails. I guess alot of adults shouldn't have to see it either.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Kids visiting the shelters with their parents shouldn't have to see this. "I" would try to set a better example for the youth on our trails. I guess alot of adults shouldn't have to see it either.
    kids see and hear much worse in thier daily 6 hours at school. this "issue" is a non-issue

Images

What I allowed my son to see at home, and what he saw at school, is two different things.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    kids see and hear much worse in thier daily 6 hours at school. this "issue" is a non-issue
    kids not only see and hear much worse at school they act worse than that.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

What I allowed my son to see at home, and what he saw at school, is two different things.

probably learnt more at school
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default Backcountry art

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I find it disappointing so many here seem willing to condone this kind of backcountry "art."
    For good backcountry art check out Andy Goldsworthy's work

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I find it disappointing so many here seem willing to condone this kind of backcountry "art."
    what can you, me or anybody else do about it? i'll answer...absolutely nothing. time to stop sniveling about it and accept it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what can you, me or anybody else do about it? i'll answer...absolutely nothing. time to stop sniveling about it and accept it
    we kin git rid of them thar shelters...

Get used to the graffiti. Simple fact is, so many people have done it that everyone thinks it's mostly common place. So, I will agree with LW, stop sniveling. This all goes back to the why not to stay in shelters thread. If you don't like the crap that's written, don't look, don't pay attention or don't stay at a shelter.

Solutions are simple. It's coming up with the problem that's so complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Get used to the graffiti. Simple fact is, so many people have done it that everyone thinks it's mostly common place. So, I will agree with LW, stop sniveling. This all goes back to the why not to stay in shelters thread. If you don't like the crap that's written, don't look, don't pay attention or don't stay at a shelter.

Solutions are simple. It's coming up with the problem that's so complex.
    and i agree with you

Holy crap...LW and Homer have kissed and made up. The world is a safer place. I have actually witnessed you two agreeing!!!Good for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Holy crap...LW and Homer have kissed and made up. The world is a safer place. I have actually witnessed you two agreeing!!!Good for you guys!
    Trivial really.

The "Monkey wrench gang" wrote in a shelter if I remember right. Maybe thats how the signatures got started. Young kids heading out on an adventure of a lifetime sometimes are a little carefree. Some only know if what they have read in books on the trail. Maybe after reading Ed Garvey and reaching their first shelter and saw all of the signatures, they felt inclined to do so too.
    I personnally don't care for the big drawings and the 4:20 stuff. Kids visiting the shelters with their parents shouldn't have to see this. "I" would try to set a better example for the youth on our trails. I guess alot of adults shouldn't have to see it either.
    I can't imagine Ed Garvey inspiring vandalism.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

I'm done pondering then.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    No bull there.

But we can still blame the French if you want.
    Nah, I liked almost every Frenchie I've met, and they make great booze and food so let 'em paint

Wow...let it go. Some of that grafitti is pretty cool. Provides some distraction while waiting out a rainstorm. Never did it myself (and it was 1970 when we 16 year olds first hung out at George Outerbridge Shelter, Bake Oven Knob, etc), but I sure don't get all bent up about it. Bigger things to worry about...like all those marks along the trail made by hiking poles!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    Wow...let it go. Some of that grafitti is pretty cool. Provides some distraction while waiting out a rainstorm. Never did it myself (and it was 1970 when we 16 year olds first hung out at George Outerbridge Shelter, Bake Oven Knob, etc), but I sure don't get all bent up about it. Bigger things to worry about...like all those marks along the trail made by hiking poles!!
    How cool would it look on your house?

What's next...mowing the grass around shelters? I do that at home too. I go to the woods to get away from all that. The woods are a "no worries" zone. I'm too busy enjoying the crap out of myself. The rest is just noise.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++