WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Unhappy Shelter Graffiti

On a recent section hike I was appalled at the level of graffiti on the shelter walls—even the relatively new Mountaineer Falls shelter. Some of this resembles gang graffiti most commonly seen on the sides of rail cars. What’s with this? I am thinking there people on the trail for the wrong reasons, possibly including some thru hikers.

This side of the dirt
    Images

When I was a kid my father had a saying:

“Fools names as faces are often found in public places”

It still holds true today, but now its just not their names
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, I'll join you in that rant. That was one of the reasons I did not stay in shelters on my hike, many of them just didn't feel like nice places--grafitti, trash, TP strewn about, food left for scavengers. Some idiot put his name on every shelter I saw in the northernmost 200 miles (maybe a SOBO I passed along the way), so yes, long distance hikers are definitely part of the problem, too.

My dad always said don't complain about it unless you're doing something about it. I carried small litter out, but I didn't know what to do about the grafitti without a paintbrush or sander. The maintainers have my infinite respect and gratitude for what they're faced with.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Some idiot put his name on every shelter I saw in the northernmost 200 miles (maybe a SOBO I passed along the way), so yes, long distance hikers are definitely part of the problem, too.
    "Cubby 08" carved in huge letters

it's just graffiti. it ain't gonna ruin your nights sleep

Images

Agree with LW.

Some of the graffiti is humorous and interesting reading, some may be historical in some respects. I will say, if I ran into gang-type it would be a disappointment but not the end of the world. Graffiti is better in the shelters and on tables than it would be on trees or rocks.

Some in the AT community consider the shelters themselves an abomination, so graffiti is just an incremental assault.

Better off without some of it? Sure. A major problem? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

Some in the AT community consider the shelters themselves an abomination, so graffiti is just an incremental assault.

Better off without some of it? Sure. A major problem? Probably not.
    shelters, fire pits and the areas around shelters are a scar

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The graffiti in privies can be quite interesting.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by zero day View Post
    On a recent section hike I was appalled at the level of graffiti on the shelter walls—even the relatively new Mountaineer Falls shelter. Some of this resembles gang graffiti most commonly seen on the sides of rail cars. What’s with this? I am thinking there people on the trail for the wrong reasons, possibly including some thru hikers.
    this is probably a great irony of the shelter system. The types of folks who carve or paint grafitti at the shelters are the types who probably wouldn't have came had the shelters not been there. so are the shelters themselves to blame for their own graffiti?

ponder over that one a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    so are the shelters themselves to blame for their own graffiti?
    Quite possibly, but so are rocky viewpoints - they often attract graffiti in PA.

Images

Arrow Illogical reasoning

The types of folks who carve or paint grafitti at the shelters are the types who probably wouldn't have came [sic] had the shelters not been there. So are the shelters themselves to blame for their own graffiti?
    No, but I frequently see this type of illogical argument here by the anti-shelter crowd. One who buys this reasoning might also conclude that rocks painted by the same kind of people are to be blamed for the graffiti on them.

So, therefore, we ought to remove all the rocks from the backcountry!

Obviously, it's the people who engage in this activity who are to be blamed. I find it disappointing so many here seem willing to condone this kind of backcountry "art."

this is probably a great irony of the shelter system. The types of folks who carve or paint grafitti at the shelters are the types who probably wouldn't have came had the shelters not been there.
    correct. those that use them are generally afraid of the woods, bugs, rain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    No, but I frequently see this type of illogical argument here by the anti-shelter crowd. One who buys this reasoning should also conclude that rocks painted by the same kind of people are to be blamed for the graffiti on them.

So, therefore, we ought to remove all the rocks from the backcountry!
    This is illogical reasoning as well, in the form of a false analogy. Shelters provide refuge to the people who deface them and in some cases these folks would not be out there if not for the shelter. This cannot be said of rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Quite possibly, but so are rocky viewpoints - they often attract graffiti in PA.
    well, rocky viewpoints exist naturally. do shelters?

well, rocky viewpoints exist naturally. do shelters?
    Caves do.

Images

Default hperry

Thank you for your admission. The blame still rests with those who deface shelters and privies, not those who constructed those amenities.

Give it up while you still can save face.

SOG
    Last edited by emerald; 11-05-2008 at 14:52. Reason: Spelling.

I rented a locked PATC cabin in Maryalnd. There was a huge penis carved in the table that is kept in the cabin. My wife and I found it very offensive. Adults are not the only ones who use shelters and cabins. Young children use them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    The blame still rest with those who deface shelters and privies, not those who constructed those amenities.

SOG
    the blame rests with those that built the actual trail and shelters. both scars on the land

Images

Wolf, go chase your tail!

If you are really worried about it, you could carry a can of brown spray paint and color over the graffiti with a "natural" color that is easy on the eyes...
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++