WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

The safest thing is to look at the websites for every state you will hike through. For example, you would go to the department of safety website for TN. Read every states specific carry laws and reciprocity with your carry permit. If some don't have reciprocity you may be able to get a non-resident carry permit for that state, or another state that does have reciprocity with that state. For example, WV may not have reciprocity with your sate, but Ohio might. So get a non-resident carry permit for Ohio. I can't remember which ones, but I know there are one or two states that if you get a non-resident permit then you can carry in every state that allows carrying. Your states permit and those two will give you reciprocity with every state that allows carrying weapons.

Then you have to find out what different types of government and private lands you will be walking through, and if you can carry through them. I don't remember seeing too many private places with signs posted forbiding firearms. Again, every state is different so it will require a lot of research.

Why the #$%@ do U need a gun on the AT??????????????? Do U think this is the wild wild west??? LIONS AND AND BEARS OH MY????

Images

It was my understanding that when you are backpacking you are to home no mateer whare you happen tobe. If that is true you can have a gun to defend yourselfat home according to the resent ruling on the issue.

Then
    I tried to quit drinking but Captain Morgan keeps kicking Mr. Will Powers ass.

Images

Not true. National Parks? What resent ruling are you speaking of?

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

I don't mean to fuel any fires, but does anyone know of any thru-hiker who has ever carried a gun? I certainly haven't run across anyone carrying a gun on a trail other than horse packers out west, and hunters in-season.

Haiku.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    I don't mean to fuel any fires, but does anyone know of any thru-hiker who has ever carried a gun? I certainly haven't run across anyone carrying a gun on a trail other than horse packers out west, and hunters in-season.

Haiku.

Yeah, I knew of atleast 5 this year. They seemed responsible, never pulled it out, and they only told me because we got to be very good friends over time and because of my background. No one else knew they had one on them, and that's how it should be. Didn't bother me one bit that they were carrying, but I carry all the time at home so I'm comfortable around them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by phishpapond View Post
    It was my understanding that when you are backpacking you are to home no mateer whare you happen tobe. If that is true you can have a gun to defend yourselfat home according to the resent ruling on the issue.

Then
    No, that whole ruling where you are "home" wherever you are sleeping is for motels/hotels/campers etc. You have no reasonable expectation of property in the woods or in a tent. They have to "break into" where you are to be a threat. In the woods you have no right to the area like you do a place you are renting. If that were the case then you can carry a handgun anywhere like New York City, DC, absolutely anywhere as long as you intend to sleep where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Why the #$%@ do U need a gun on the AT???????????????
    i ask the same ???? about water filters, leki poles and bear bags. ain't about needing, it's about wanting

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    I don't mean to fuel any fires, but does anyone know of any thru-hiker who has ever carried a gun?
    oh heck yeah

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Why the #$%@ do U need a gun on the AT??????????????? Do U think this is the wild wild west??? LIONS AND AND BEARS OH MY????
    The Top Ten Reasons to Carry a Gun on the AT:
    10. It comes in handy when driving tent stakes into hard ground.

9. Bear bag rope stuck in tree? No problem!

8. Need another tie-out place in your tarp?

7. Water accumulating at the bottom of your pack cover? Make a drain hole.

6. Quiets owls and whiporwills so you can sleep.

5. Snake won't move off the trail? Make it into two snakes.

4. Quickly unties knots.

3. Opens bottles when your fingers are cold.

2. Forget your fishing pole?

And the Number One Reason to Carry a Gun on the AT:

Chicks dig them.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    was wondering where it is legal and not legal to carry, what permits are required, etc.
    I'm not even going to jump in too far. People take their second amendment right too far. WHO THE HELL NEEDS A GUN WHILE HIKING? If you're so terrified of the outside world. Stay home, the imgrants won't git ju thar.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    I'm not even going to jump in too far. People take their second amendment right too far. WHO THE HELL NEEDS A GUN WHILE HIKING? If you're so terrified of the outside world. Stay home, the imgrants won't git ju thar.
    Wow!!! you're right. Inever thought of it that way.
    Tell that to a woman that is ready to vote - She is taking the 19th too far.. Or how about enslaving a black - "Get back in the fields - You are taking the 13th too far."
    How about someone comes in the middle of the night and drags your ass outta your house, tosses your house and puts you in prison because of your beleifs???? What?????? It's OK Homer, you are taking 1, 4 and 8 too seriously.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    The Top Ten Reasons to Carry a Gun on the AT:
    10. It comes in handy when driving tent stakes into hard ground.

9. Bear bag rope stuck in tree? No problem!

8. Need another tie-out place in your tarp?

7. Water accumulating at the bottom of your pack cover? Make a drain hole.

6. Quiets owls and whiporwills so you can sleep.

5. Snake won't move off the trail? Make it into two snakes.

4. Quickly unties knots.

3. Opens bottles when your fingers are cold.

2. Forget your fishing pole?

And the Number One Reason to Carry a Gun on the AT:

Chicks dig them.
    I think we found our article on guns.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    who ever said anyone needed one? whats the big deal if someone values personal protection, however slim the odds are they need it?

Why the #$%@ do U need a gun on the AT???????????????
    Folks carry guns for the piece of mind, and knowing that they have personal protection in a jam. 99% of gun owners who are not hunters hope they never have to fire their gun outside of target practice.

I am not considering carrying a gun because i think it is crazy not to, or that the trail is filled with all kinds of danger.

get a grip.

i carry. it ain't no biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i carry. it ain't no biggie
    What?The gun or the issue?
    Oldfivetango

ps Aren't you afraid some anti-gun nut will turn you in to the
    next park ranger?I have always wondered............................
    Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post

ps Aren't you afraid some anti-gun nut will turn you in to the
    next park ranger?I have always wondered............................
    nah.

Images

Gary Hiltons victims and family will probably disagree with you on this one!

I defend anybody right to carry, I carry but never have while backpacking. Personally just don't want the weight. I never camp near a road, if I'm not comfortable with those I'm with I will loose them. Use that sixth sense everyone was born with.

My personal recommendation is if you carry NEVER tell anyone, you loose that element of surprise and their is a bit of gun security in others not knowing.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

x2 on not telling. Wouldn't reccomend carrying without having a conceal and carry permit regardless. Thats everyones personal business. However if you're going to carry a semi do us all a favor and don't hike with one in the chamber.I love my semis, but if I ever decide to hike with one hamerless revolver is the safest and lightest option IMO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++