WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I used a plastic water bottle that they gave out on the plain. It was very small so easy to tell the difference from other bottles. I measured by eyeballing when I filled the stove. Things don't have to be complicated.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

i like 325 ml plastic liquor bottles. They're tall and flat and fit in a pack and take up less space than a circular water bottle.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

I use an empty camp soap squeeze bottle that I marked ounce lines on. No measuring - just squirt the alcohol into the stove.

Makers Mark. Preferably full.

Having discovered that the 10-20 stove (the one that comes with the Caldera cone) burns better if more than the minimum amount of fuel is used, I now pour in over an ounce of alcohol (just eyeballing) and snuff the flame out when done. The snuffer is still just a piece of doubled up foil that I shaped over the stove . I then pour the remaining fuel into the snuffer and then back into the container.
    That takes care of wind and temperature differences in boil time. For a hot beverage you do not need to boil the water unless you are also sterilising.
    So the container varies according to the duration of the walk. My last one was a two part walk of 11 full days in total, a 500 ml Platypus was enough for that.
    Franco

Best Alcohol Bottle:

An Empty one!

Eh oh! I'll be here all week.

(Nalgene makes a whole host of resilient bottles that don't break down. )

Also, no one's going to accidentally drink from an 8 or 10 oz Nalgene like they might from a re-purposed soda or water bottle. Denatured removes permanent marker so don't try to use that to mark them.

After trying soda and Gatorade bottles, I had good luck last summer with a small dishwashing soap bottle - Palmolive I think it was. Not a plug for their brand, mind you, it was what was available for recycle at the time. A little on the heavy side (not sure of the exact wt.) but I like the spout option (easier to pour) and the bottle is semi-flat so it fits better in the pack side pocket - no leaks so far. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    I use an aluminum sigg bottle for longer trips
    I did at one time, but found that they are much more fragile than a soda(pop, coke, ...) bottle. It eventually started to leak.
    A soda bottle is cheaper, clear and durable.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

ACT anticavity fluoride rinse bottles. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pry out the straw to fill the bottle. Snap back in after filling. I believe the dispensed amount is 30ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    ... Denatured removes permanent marker so don't try to use that to mark them.
    But you can paint clear nail polish over permanent marker. Works great! (I've had my bottle marked like this for 3 years now.)

Default Make it idiot proof

If you use an old soda bottle (that's what I usually use) make doubly sure to "idiot proof" it. As others have pointed out, putting fuel in a drink bottle is an accident waiting to happen. Not only do I now use a green bottle for fuel and clear bottles for water, but I tie a cord around the neck, right next to the cap, so it looks and feels different from my water bottle. I also set my fuel bottle completely out of reach at night.

I use a Brunton fuel bottle:

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=55

I don't like using anything that resembles a beverage container so all ex-drink bottles (gatorade, etc) are out. I also want something I'm 100% sure will not leak, cruch, or split open. If you use aluminum, supposedly it corrodes when in contact with alcohol. so I use that bottle above which I got for 2 bucks at an REI garage sale.

Another great way to "idiot proof" a fuel/soda bottle is to drop a few leaves or twigs into it. No one would drink from the bottle as long as they saw the detritus and it'd never mess with your stove.

yo. didnt i do that first?
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    yo. didnt i do that first?
    Yeah, right after you created strap-ons, Minnesota Smith, and the moon.

you know damm well johnney thunder, that i did in truth call a strap on a strap on first. everyone used to say,"im carrying a hogie and a pizza on my pack to the first shelter."
    matthewski

The last time I made this mistake was the day I found the dead guy at the Doyle.

Having spend a good fifteen minutes throwing up everything but my gall-bladder, my throat was a little raw and my mouth wasn't feeling so fresh.

We'd relocated to the little campground in the center of Duncannon (as the Doyle wad been temporarily closed by the local health authorities).

While setting up my tent, I noticed that a hiking friend had providentially left a full bottle of Sprite on a nearby picnic table, and badly needing some sugar and a mouth rinse, I opened it and took a big swig.

This was almost 10 years ago but I really don't look forward to ever doing this again, as a mouthful of denatured alcohol after you've spent the morning vomiting in front of 200 people is a really bad way to kick off your afternoon.

I was also afraid to light up a Camel for the next few hours as I was convinced I'd spontaneously combust.

In short, not a great afternoon.

Moral of story: Always be aware of what something actually is before you elect to drink it, and you might wanna invest in your own bottle of Sprite before picking up a friend's.

im scared to light up after i kiss jack. for an hour or two.
    matthewski

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++