WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

A full bottle of Gentleman Jack 150 proof. (and some ice)

Solitude without lonliness... rjridgely's Avatar

the empty one next to my seat....oh.....wait......do you mean alcohol fuel bottle?
    Because whiskey from a tin cup...just tastes better

Quote Originally Posted by parkinson1963 View Post
    I use a smirnoff vodka flash made of plastic, holds 12 oz, and the cap holds exactly 1/2 oz.

slips nicely down the sides of the pack or fits in an outside pocket wiht out taking up all the room.

Find one in a road side ditch near you.
    That's what I was going to recommend. It's pretty much spot on the same shape as the Nalgene brand "Flask"... and much much cheaper.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

I have been using a contact solution bottle for a fuel bottle. Works great and it can hold about 14ozs.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInk View Post
    I have been using a contact solution bottle for a fuel bottle. Works great and it can hold about 14ozs.
    ah man now that is a great idea. I happen to have an empty one in my household right now.

Mark, on an old(2008) WB thread titled "best alcohol bottle" you tell of using the 8 0z Playpus Little Nipper collapsable container w/ a BPL nozzle to carry fuel. I like that idea. It might be just what I have in mind to be able to fit my entire cooking setup inside my Snow Peak 28 Oz Mini Solo Ti pot. Did you have any problems w/ the LN Platy leaking or melting w/ fuels for alcohol based stoves? I found the LN Platys but still can't find the nozzles you talk about. Know where I might find them for screwing to the top of the Platy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Mark, on an old(2008) WB thread titled "best alcohol bottle" you tell of using the 8 0z Playpus Little Nipper collapsable container w/ a BPL nozzle to carry fuel. I like that idea. It might be just what I have in mind to be able to fit my entire cooking setup inside my Snow Peak 28 Oz Mini Solo Ti pot. Did you have any problems w/ the LN Platy leaking or melting w/ fuels for alcohol based stoves? I found the LN Platys but still can't find the nozzles you talk about. Know where I might find them for screwing to the top of the Platy?
    FWIW, this is what I do now. When it's full, I have to keep the fuel separate, but once I've used a little, the fuel and everything -stove, cup, fork- go into my cook pot (1L msr with the latch lid).

Dogwood

I have also tried that and i have used the little red spouts from bpl. I would rather use the contact bottle. I had no problem with the platy but did have problems with the spout. The ones i had tended to drip down the spout and fuel didnt go where i wanted it to go. If your sold on it send me your address and i will drop one to you.

That's generous FireInk. I may take you up on that. I'm trying to figure a new cook setup. I want to put Zelph's Budlyte Supertsove, fuel, foldable spork, windscreen, mini lighter and possibly XS camp towel/cloth ALL into my 28 0z(about 800 ml)Snow Peak Mini Solo TI pot. And, I don't want Heet or DNL contaminating anything, most of all the pot from which I eat. I can't see doing this unless I get a collapsable Little Nipper Platy or very unique alcohol bottle that doesn't drip. I want to use this on a thru-hike w/ up to about 8 days between resupplying(getting fresh fuel). I don't even know if it would be wise to carry my fuel this way if I don't want it contaminating my cookware. I may be able to get a mini plastic flask to fit inside my pot with Zelph's stove. Any thoughts?

Images

I also use a contact solution bottle, and to measure out the fuel i use a marinade injector similar to this
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=13291763
    i just shove the needle end into the solution bottle, turn upside down, suck up 1 oz., pull out, and "inject" into the stove.

Dogwood,

Im not sure if it would all fit or not. I carry my alky stove, windscreen, olive oil, mini lighter and sometimes my soap and scrub sponge in my .9lt pot. I carry my fuel on the outside of my pack. You may be able to find a smaller contact solution bottle, 4-8oz size for your hike. Im going to try and use a measuring cup from a cough syrup bottle to measure my fuel. I have seen folks carry a syringe to fuel/refuel the alky stoves. A lot of trial and error or research will pay off. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    A squeezable plastic bottle with 1 oz markings on the side. I use a bottle with a spout that closes. it does not leak. I do keep it in a plastic bag just in case..
    That's what I use too (you can buy the bottles in various sizes). It is usually pretty easy to control your "pouring" with one of those. Out of habit, I still carry a small medicine cup in case I ever want (or feel the need) to measure the fuel. I rarely use it. I'm pretty good at "eyeballing it" now--and the ounce markings on the bottle help too.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Default Packafeather snorkle and Coke bottle

http://packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html

This works great. Read caveat in link re: Type of bottle to use.
    “Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.”

Great thread. So:

1. Unique bottle both sight shape and texture in the dark so you can't possibly in a million years even drunk or half asleep EVER mistake it for anything you would possibly drink out of (small Platy's etc not a good idea for just that reason);

2. Leakproof sturdy, marked for fractional gradations and encased in just-in-case plastic bag (and carried outside main pack if possible) and DON'T carry toxic vaporous fuel all day inside the pot/cup you cook in/eat from;

3. Scratch inside/outside your stove with pre-measured ounce markings;

4. At just 4 ounces a Trangia stove lets you not only simmer but save & carry your unburned fuel in the gasket-sealed stove itself (I love mine, solves several pesky problems/saves a lot of fuel, YMMV);

5. avoid aluminum, go with sturdy plastic, secure squeeze bottle cap a plus but must close securely;

6. Fragile complicated stove designs are (A) fragile and (B) complicated;

I love this thread.

Images

Default wow, almost a hundred posts about a silly bottle !

with that said, I use the very sturdy Nalgene "flask" marked DO NOT DRINK

Images

Got this from Packa Feather. It actually does work with the low profile cap on the small 12oz Coke bottles.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

These are some of my fuel bottles.

The two on the left are stored inside the Caldera Cone caddy , the Platypus is for longer than 3-4 days trips ad is stored separately (note the new scull label...)
    The orange top on that is from a soft drink bottle. The tops come in "standard" sizes , so find one that screws in.
    Never had a plastic bottle 'dissolving" or whatever from alcohol. I also have used Gatorade and Nalgene (the milky type) bottles . Note that alcohol here in Australia (Ethanol) comes in plastic bottles.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

The two on the left are stored inside the Caldera Cone caddy , the Platypus is for longer than 3-4 days trips ad is stored separately (note the new scull label...)
    The orange top on that is from a soft drink bottle. The tops come in "standard" sizes , so find one that screws in.
    Never had a plastic bottle 'dissolving" or whatever from alcohol. I also have used Gatorade and Nalgene (the milky type) bottles . Note that alcohol here in Australia (Ethanol) comes in plastic bottles.
    Franco
    I watched a post-hike video by Jolly Rancher and he used a Platypus. I just wasn't sure how rugged it would be in the pack, and how secure the cap is. Heading to REI this weekend to check out some stuff and planning on looking at them for my hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

Franco
    What size is that Platy?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries
    Images

Putting any alcohol of any type in a soda bottle will quickly fetch you some huge trouble.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++