WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking in the rain

So me and my buddy have a hike planned for next weekend (Nov. 13-15) from Hughes gap to 19E. Based on weather.com's 10 day forecast for Elk Park (the closest town I could find near that section of the trail) there is a 30% chance of rain on day one, a 60% chance on day 2 and a 40% chance on day 3. The forecst for Bakersville is basically the same. I have no experience hiking in the rain, but I imagine it is pretty miserable. I'm sure some of you guys have hiked in rainy nasty weather. What was your take on it? We are thinking about postponing the trip to the weekend after. What would you do?

I've hiked in the rain many times. I found that the best way to deal with the rain is to get into town before it starts so the rooms aren't all taken. Then I find a restaurant where I can sip hot coffee and watch the wet, hang dog hikers come in from the trail.

Day 1 - Get Wet
    Day 2 - Get Used to it
    Day 3 - Enjoy the quiet solitude rain brings to the woods, and press on.

somebody once said.... (ultralightbackpacker.com quoted them, I believe) "A bad day in the woods is better than any day in the office."

Quote Originally Posted by the dragon View Post
    So me and my buddy have a hike planned for next weekend (Nov. 13-15) from Hughes gap to 19E. Based on weather.com's 10 day forecast for Elk Park (the closest town I could find near that section of the trail) there is a 30% chance of rain on day one, a 60% chance on day 2 and a 40% chance on day 3. The forecst for Bakersville is basically the same. I have no experience hiking in the rain, but I imagine it is pretty miserable. I'm sure some of you guys have hiked in rainy nasty weather. What was your take on it? We are thinking about postponing the trip to the weekend after. What would you do?
    it's just walkin'. i don't walk in the rain on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by strates View Post
    "A bad day in the woods is better than any day in the office."
    bullcrap

Images

I am so feeling your pain. I'll be on the trail all next week in it too. We are taking a UL sil-nylon tarp. Use it to take breaks and put up at camp for a dry area.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I've hiked in the rain many times. I found that the best way to deal with the rain is to get into town before it starts so the rooms aren't all taken. Then I find a restaurant where I can sip hot coffee and watch the wet, hang dog hikers come in from the trail.
    we went to the same school of common sense walking

Step 1 is complete. Prepare yourself for rain. If it's not raining, put your pack cover on before you leave and keep your rain gear in a readily accessible spot. An extra tarp for your tentsite is a good idea to make a little dry cooking / relaxing area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's just walkin'. i don't walk in the rain on purpose
    I'm with you. Fair weather hiker and proud of it. It's one thing when you're attempting a thru-hike and you can't keep making excuses about the weather. But I have no reason to get wet and cold all day (or for days) otherwise. Rain days are museum/antiquing/shopping/indoor stuff days so we can have the dry days free to hike.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Get outdoors enough and sooner or later you're gonna get dosed. No one but a darn fool does it deliberately, but it's gonna happen. Unless you're the Wicked Witch of the West or made of cotton candy you won't melt.

You know, I really don't mind hiking in the rain all that much. We picked up a couple Seattle Sombreros before paddling the Mississippi and used the heck out of them. Didn't have one on my thru-hike, but would consider taking some kind of hat for the cooler months. I hate hoods with a passion, and only wear one if it's really, really crappy.

One thing of which you should be aware is the temperature. Hiking in rain with temps in the 30s - 40s will put you at greater risk of hypothermia. Even with good rain gear, the chances are high that you'll be soaked at the end of the day, either from sweat or rain finding its way in. So if you don't know this already, be sure to have a set of dry clothes to change into.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    One thing of which you should be aware is the temperature. Hiking in rain with temps in the 30s - 40s will put you at greater risk of hypothermia. Even with good rain gear, the chances are high that you'll be soaked at the end of the day, either from sweat or rain finding its way in. So if you don't know this already, be sure to have a set of dry clothes to change into.
    Great advice! I don't mind getting "caught" in the rain but I have tried the old grin and bear it way...it sucked! I don't hike in the rain unless I have too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    we went to the same school of common sense walking
    It could be that we share the same birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by the dragon View Post
    Day 1 - 70% chance of no rain
    Day 2 - 40% chance of no rain
    Day 3 - 60% chance of no rain

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Hike in the rain? Not on purpose!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I don't mind walking in the rain. It really doesn't bother me that much if it isn't cold. I'm not about to sit in a shelter all day waiting for it to pass...

Images

One thing to think about is the fog. With rain usually comes fog. The days are very short and if you have to hike at night it is nearly impossible, between the fog eating up your light and leaves on the trail.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    I am so feeling your pain. I'll be on the trail all next week in it too. We are taking a UL sil-nylon tarp. Use it to take breaks and put up at camp for a dry area.
    delay your start date by a few days and you'll be fine or hike faster and get to town or plan a shorter hike.

Images

I carry a small umbrella. In some places, that seems to work better for me than rain gear. I avoid starting out in the rain if at all possible.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++