WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poles???

Question Poles???

Ok, I am a newbie. My question is this, are poles a "must have" or a "nice to have"? I am planning a thru hike in 2010 and I am trying to find out what I truly need, other than the obvious "top 10". Thanks!!

Oh, I will have my dog tethered to me for the trip, if that makes any difference.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Poles are nice, some people say no, some people say yes. I like them to give my arms something to do when my legs are doing all that walking and climbing. They are also nice to have when climbing some wild rock climbs or walking along a log to get out of the muck of a wet trail. Then there are shelters that use poles as their support. I'd say as a thru hiker, if I wasn't a hammocker, I'd definitely use a shelter that relied on hiking poles as their support, making them truly multipurposed.

for sure NOT a must have. just a personal choice. i've done 5 thru-hikes plus 6000 other miles and never have and never will use poles

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh yeah, have you made plans for your dog through the Smokies?

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I'd call them "very nice to have" but not at all necessary.
    -Mark

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you have good knees and strong legs, probably okay without. I saw those in their twenties and under without them. But I like them not only for knees but stability in rocks and uneven terrain. They have more than once prevented ankle sprains for me. I also liked them for the few stream crossings we do have, and they helped me negotiate the ups and downs better.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default poles

Yes, Poles are not necessary. But they sure are nice to have. Personally, I would never think of hiking the AT without them!

Here are some of the advantages of trekking poles:
    They aid in steep ascents and descents by acting as second pair of limbs.
    they are very helpful when crossing streams. Helps to know how deep the water is.
    I believe they aid in getting a good hiking rythem going.
    If you use a tarp tent the trekking poles can substitute for the tent poles.

Finally, when I thru hiked in 2006, practically every single thru hiker was using trekking poles. Even the ultra light types.

Again, if you are crossing a stream or going up a steep hill, trekking poles make things a whole lot easier!

DavidNH

Images

I think it really depends on how old you are and what kind of shape your knees are in. I hiked without them when I first started and now really couldn't imagine going without. They help me keep my balance and really seem to help save my knees on the downhills.

However, you may find they will get tangled in the dog tether.

I would suggest practicing with and without them on your test hikes you will take before thru-hiking. That's the best way to find out about all different kinds of gear, because different things will work for different people and it is definitely better to find this out ahead of time.

Good luck to you,

Jane in CT

Images

I hike with poles and usually with a dog that is on-lead 100% of the time. I use a 16' flexi-lead. I attach the lead to my backpack waist belt. She ranges out ahead of me. This also gives her the freedom to stop along the side of the trail and sniff whatever she finds so fascinating. When we get to the end of the lead, I'll give it a gentle tug with my pole and she races ahead. If we meet other hikers I bring her in and have her walk in heel, or step to the side of the trail.

Steve

Pic here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=6309

Of course, my son has figured out that she gives a 5 lb tug going up hills - so he usually has her!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Garlic
    Images

I started using poles for my sore knees when I was in my forties. I know I couldn't manage a long hike without them. I've tried it both ways. Believe me, I would love to be able to hike without poles again. If you don't need them, great.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

certainly not necessary...some people love'em, but i find them to be a cumbersome bother...i agree with garlic sentiments...if you don't need'em, don't bother...

Images

A personal preference. I never used anything when I was younger. Then I used a stick off the trail. Now I use one pole with my right hand and I prefer just the one pole.

Images

If you want less wear and tear on your knees and legs, and a more distributed, even workout for your body overall, use trekking poles. It just makes sense to let your arms, which otherwise don't do a whole lot, bear some of the burden off your poor legs and knees.

To get maximum benefit of trekking poles, learn how to adjust and use the straps. The straps are what makes trekking poles the advantage that they are (over ordinary sticks or nothing at all).

Images

Not necessary to have the store bought kind, but I would say that a walking stick of some kind is necessary when fording rivers.

Images

you obvioulsy don't need them now. Why do you think you will need them 2 years from now.

Hike smarter, not harder.

My knees make me use them. A big help on stream crossings too.

Thanks for all the info...I believe I will take the advice of surely trying both ways with my girl tethered to me ( smart) . I also tend to be a bit clumsy, so maybe having the extra support will help, too.
    As far as Bailey is concerned, I will use the kennel in the Smokies ( a hefty 250, i hear) but worth it since they will bring her to me in the end ( which i must add is pretty generous)..and for Baxter, my companion has long-time friends in Maine so we will relying on them to keep her until we complete our hike.
    Thanks again!!!!

Do some practice hikes before '10...buy poles and use them based on practice hikes. If you don't have them starting out and discover you really need them, buy them at Neel(s) Gap.

I went from thinking they were silly looking for those that used them, to using them and thinking they were the best thing, to now using one and leaving the second one home. It is nice to have one to gain traction when crossing a stream, or working through a rocky section etc, but it is also nice to have hands free.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    Not necessary to have the store bought kind, but I would say that a walking stick of some kind is necessary when fording rivers.
    The difference between a walking stick and trekking poles is like night and day. The way the straps of trekking poles bear your weight vs. the grip of a stick bearing your weight is an enormous difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++