WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is a good sewing project for a first timer?

My wife just got a sewing machine, and I'm wondering what I could make with it. What is a good project? I don't really need anything right now, but I can always stand to have more fleece gear. Maybe a balaclava or something similar.

Anyway, what is a good project for me to start with? I have never sewed before, but I'm not completely incompetent.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Images

I got some old sheets and practiced my stitches and timing and bartacking. Then as I got comfortable I worked on some cheap walmart silnylon making stuff sacks. I then worked on making a tarp. I would say just practice your stitches and getting to know how to sew on some old bedsheets.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I've been thinking about making my daughter a 2/3 sized poncho/tarp from a nice new one I got for $30 at L.L.Bean. I could leave the hood in the same place and re-do the rest of it. I would need new snaps and grommets and stuff. This one actually has nice little loops rather than grommets. Anyhow, custom modification projects might be a good start. A gortex heavy rain cape/bivy from an old army surplus gortex bivy might be another idea.

Stuffsacks from dollar bin walmart fabric. Thruhiker.com vest kit.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I think the stuffsack is the official first DIY gear project. Check out this guide to get started. I didn't follow it 100% since I like to make things my own but it was a good push in the right direction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I think the stuffsack is the official first DIY gear project. Check out this guide to get started. I didn't follow it 100% since I like to make things my own but it was a good push in the right direction.
    Same here. 2nd project was a quilt (13 oz 800 fill down). Haven't done a 3rd project as my wife will no longer let me near her fancy sewing machine 'cause I screwed it up so bad.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Same here. 2nd project was a quilt (13 oz 800 fill down). Haven't done a 3rd project as my wife will no longer let me near her fancy sewing machine 'cause I screwed it up so bad.....

I was going to do a cat tarp but I think I'm going to work on an underquilt for my hammock first and do the tarp in the spring. I need to get the order in for the Climashield before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie View Post
    My wife just got a sewing machine, and I'm wondering what I could make with it. What is a good project? I don't really need anything right now, but I can always stand to have more fleece gear. Maybe a balaclava or something similar.

Anyway, what is a good project for me to start with? I have never sewed before, but I'm not completely incompetent.
    If you get new power tools does your wife go on line to see how to build a bird house? Man it's your wife sewing machine, let her use it.

My first project was a set of pack covers with Wal Mart rip stop nylon. Don't have a sewing machine, so it was slow. And I still need to modify them a little bit. But it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    If you get new power tools does your wife go on line to see how to build a bird house? Man it's your wife sewing machine, let her use it.
    Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with men learning how to sew... It is not hard to learn, but I would recommend having your wife teach you how to use it and what buttons and settings you can use because it is pretty easy to screw them up if you don't know what you are doing.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with men learning how to sew... It is not hard to learn, but I would recommend having your wife teach you how to use it and what buttons and settings you can use because it is pretty easy to screw them up if you don't know what you are doing.
    That's why I am going by hand for now. I remember putting a needle through my finger with my mom's old singer...hey that rhymes...kinda. Turns out if you jam the foot pedal all the way down it goes...fast.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with men learning how to sew.......
    Absolutely nothing wroing with it. In fact.......
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

aka Kudzu
    Images

I still need to get me one of those shirts.

Default Mittens

Mittens are a good early project. Draw an outline around your hand, cut out your pattern. Sew around the edges and turn inside out to put the exposed edges on the inside. Fleece and water proof fabrics are perfect for mittens.
    CT

That's a good one Cedar Tree, and a very good one for doing in the woods by hand.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie View Post

You can start by sewing all my britches up and then making me a big ole blanket............

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a good one Cedar Tree, and a very good one for doing in the woods by hand.
    Was the pun intended

I started with stuff sacks,very easy,and a great way to gain confidence.

Journal Entries
    Images

LOL,thats funny TOW.My mom was laying out my step dad's pants and my mom ask him what BRITCHES he wanted and he looked at her ans ask What did you call them?,but after 30yrs he know what britches are now.we have a big time about the when i go in to visit family.Good one TOW,take care Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    You can start by sewing all my britches up and then making me a big ole blanket............

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

A hammock is a good starter project, since all you do is hem a 120 x 60 piece of material.

Lots of detail and links here on how to knot, lash, tie off the ends can be found here:
    Hammock Forums - Powered by vBulletin

(If you've ever wanted to try hammocks, of course. Some have no interest <G>)
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++