WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lightweight Camera

Christmas is coming and I need some ideas on a decent, lightweight (<8 oz.), water resistant, inexpensive (<$250) camera. Technolgy changes fast in this regard, and I couldn't find a recent thread on this topic. I don't know anything about the subject but I know many of you know a lot, so can you help me out? What would you buy?

Hi. I've found this site very helpful in purchasing cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Assuming that you're purchasing this camera first and foremost for your backpacking trips, I'd consider looking for a camera meeting or exceeding these requirements:
    • weight less than 5 ounces, including battery
    • 4+ megapixels (you really don't need 10MP unless you're a professional)
    • 4X optical zoom (more is better, but ideally not a slow mechanical zoom, as this sucks up battery power; digital zoom is worthless)
    • water resistant or waterproof to a depth of 10 feet
    • long-lasting Lithium-ion rechargeable proprietary battery (at least 200 shots per charge; buy an extra one)
    • 2" backlit LCD viewable in sunlight (2.5" is preferred)
    • image stabilization, so those pictures you have to take one-handed turn out halfway decently
    • optical viewfinder (rather than framing in the LCD, just in case you want to turn off the LCD to save your battery)
    • on-board memory really isn't very meaningful, but you'd need to be able to insert a 1 or 2 GB card; ideally SD format which will work with more devices
    • easy to interpret on-screen menu and instructions, so you don't have to fiddle with a lot of buttons that you can't remember how to use
    Check out the Pentax Option W60, which costs about $250 on-line. I'll be considering this once my old Pentax Optio S bites the dust.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 11-13-2008 at 11:45. Reason: Added bullet for image stabilization
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I recently purchased the Canon A590 IS. I had been disappointed with the consistency of photo quality with my Olympus Stylus 600 so did a lot of research. What I liked about the Cannon A590 IS:

- 7.5 oz, includes batteries (Not the lightest available, but lighter than my dSLR)
    - AA batteries - easy to replace or use a charger if you like
    - True Image Stabilization, not just upping the sensor speed like the Olympus did that resulted in noisy images.
    - VERY GOOD picture quality - CONSISTENTLY
    - now only $113.30 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B0011ZCDKS

Biggest drawback - not water resistant. But neither were my film cameras that I carried for years without problem.

Good luck choosing - lots of options out there.

Are there any cameras that are just water resistant but not waterproof. I'm not sure what the extra expense is to be able to shoot pics under water...not sure I need that quality. Certainly, 5 oz is pretty light!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I recently purchased the Canon A590 IS. I had been disappointed with the consistency of photo quality with my Olympus Stylus 600 so did a lot of research. What I liked about the Cannon A590 IS:

- 7.5 oz, includes batteries (Not the lightest available, but lighter than my dSLR)
    - AA batteries - easy to replace or use a charger if you like
    - True Image Stabilization, not just upping the sensor speed like the Olympus did that resulted in noisy images.
    - VERY GOOD picture quality - CONSISTENTLY
    - now only $113.30 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B0011ZCDKS

Biggest drawback - not water resistant. But neither were my film cameras that I carried for years without problem.

Good luck choosing - lots of options out there.
    i have the canon 530. older model. great photos and uses AA batteries also. (i like cameras that are NOT rechargeable special batteries) A cheap way to water proof it is http://www.amazon.com/UNDERWATER-WAT...6359513&sr=8-2 took it down to 20' worked good.

thanks, im looking for a new camera for thru. will be following this thread.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I use an Olympus Stylus 850 SW... It is AT proof. The only concern I have is recharging the battery. I love it! Check it out!

Journal Entries
    Images

I understand where you are coming from, Yet the weight wipes out a few digitals. While I look up a few models for you. Don't forget about the film waterproof disposable as an option.

Ok I am currently using a Fuji a820 8 Megapix and it weighs 7 oz with alky's I choose it, for the anti shake and 4x optical. $150. Water resistant is just about all of them. WaterProof is $299 on up.

Look here>>>
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e_...&sprefix=water
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

For what it's worth, and that might not be too much, I saw a digital camera in a bubble-pack at Kinko's. I think it was a Vivitar. It costs $15 and I didn't drop a zero there. It's the smallest one I've seen so far, the whole package weighed next to nothing. It came with a single AA or AAA battery and a USB connection and a CD. It is key-chain size.

The package didn't bother with specifications. But for the price and size, it might be worth checking out.

Oh, yeah - it came in colors. I remember pink or blue, maybe others.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

People seem to think that disposable batteries are a better option than the proprietary rechargeables. I disagree, even for a thru-hike.

First, most cameras require 2-3 AA batteries, and those batteries will need to be replaced after 100 pictures or so (YMMV). You either have to carry spares or buy more at the next town stop.

A single rechargeable Lithion-ion battery weighs less than a single AA and should hold a charge for 200-300 pictures. If you're using a bounce box, then bounce the charger and carry a spare battery if you're afraid of running out. You might also be able to bounce the camera's USB cable so you can upload your memory card to an Internet storage box periodically.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    People seem to think that disposable batteries are a better option than the proprietary rechargeables. I disagree, even for a thru-hike.

First, most cameras require 2-3 AA batteries, and those batteries will need to be replaced after 100 pictures or so (YMMV). You either have to carry spares or buy more at the next town stop.

A single rechargeable Lithion-ion battery weighs less than a single AA and should hold a charge for 200-300 pictures. If you're using a bounce box, then bounce the charger and carry a spare battery if you're afraid of running out. You might also be able to bounce the camera's USB cable so you can upload your memory card to an Internet storage box periodically.

I bought some rechargeable AA's. Can still bounce the charger or carry it (pretty compact). Plus, I have the option of buying at any store if I get caught. I have carried cameras with proprietary too, no problems, but AA's give you an out if necessary.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigboots View Post
    I use an Olympus Stylus 850 SW... It is AT proof. The only concern I have is recharging the battery. I love it! Check it out!
    How do you like this camera? I have been contemplating their newer 10mp version of this camera as a Christmas gift this year. My wife and I usually buy one larger gift like this each year that is to both of us from both of us and have talked about this camera in length. Just can't go 100% yet on it.

Images

I bought the Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1MP http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus...6507960&sr=8-1 for kayaking and hiking in Jun 2008 and I love the camera. I watched the price on amazon for about 6 months and got it for 198. Currently amazon has it for 287. I have taken a number of underwater pictures with excellent results. I have taken it on 4 backpacking trips and it has performed very well. I am planning a 9 day trip on the AT Thanksgiving Week and will be able to check how it performs in the colder weather. I highly recommend the camera at this point. The 850 is the newer version.

Journal Entries
    Images

Right, and the 1030SW is the even newer 10MP model. I had an Olympus when digitals first came out and was not really happy with it. I have had a Sony for 6 years now and like it, but it just doesn't seem to take pictures as good as it used to.

:banana Batteries

Not true on the Batteries i have the canon 540 it take two AA batteries i use 2AA lithium you can find in a four pack for $6.00 or i use everready rehargeable 2500ma. I get close to 600 pictures from the 2AA Lithium and over 900 pictures from the everready batteries. I can more then this if i turn off the screen and just use my viewfinder. Well good luck on your choice you might want check out kmart if you have one near you the are having a good sale on right now on camera. But stay away from walmart when you ask then antthing about the cameras they don't even know what they are selling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I agree. Buying a backup rechargable isn't the expense that it used to be and you can easily carry one in your pack as a backup as well as you would spare AA's. Even the chargers are typically light and small enough to pack. When you wear out the first battery, you should have a couple of days at least to get into town to recharge. Chances are you'll hardly use the backup if you're in town every few days or so.

The options for a water-resistent camera are very limited and pricey. I have a Canon SD1100, which has been going for less than $200 recently, and would say that it is a great option in a pocket-size camera. In terms of the affect of moisture which is probably inevitable, I would say buy the service agreement, which is probably a good idea anyway for these little things. I've had to use it twice and each time was able to upgrade as a result. Also, the smaller it is, the more control you are going to have in terms of keeping it dry.

Note - these small digitals almost across the board do a poor job in low light, no matter what the mfr's claim with their ISO settings. Nearly all, no matter what price point, will do a pretty good job with lots of light. However, I've been very pleased with the color I'm getting out of my Canon, which I believe is a weakness of the Olympus cameras that are water resistent.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Note - these small digitals almost across the board do a poor job in low light, no matter what the mfr's claim with their ISO settings. Nearly all, no matter what price point, will do a pretty good job with lots of light.
    So, since I'm looking to take pics in the green tunnel of the AT, what do you suggest?
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 11-13-2008 at 00:06. Reason: corrected closing quote tag

I have yet to have any problems with the Olypus stylus. I have taken it below freezing camping trips (4ºF this past Feb.), underwater, extreme heat (Grand Canyon 120+ in July), and any other test I can thow at it. The only thing I haven't tested is the "drop proof" feature, but I trust them at this point. The only thing that you sould know is that the camera DOES NOT FLOAT, so don't drop it in deep bodies of water!

Mentioned above that the cameras don't take good low light pictures but I disagree, I have used it in all lighting and have enjoyed good pictures for the most part, any difference is negligable. Great buy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigboots View Post
    I have yet to have any problems with the Olypus stylus. I have taken it below freezing camping trips (4ºF this past Feb.), underwater, extreme heat (Grand Canyon 120+ in July), and any other test I can thow at it. The only thing I haven't tested is the "drop proof" feature, but I trust them at this point. The only thing that you sould know is that the camera DOES NOT FLOAT, so don't drop it in deep bodies of water!

Mentioned above that the cameras don't take good low light pictures but I disagree, I have used it in all lighting and have enjoyed good pictures for the most part, any difference is negligable. Great buy!
    I wish you had some hiking pics in your gallery, it might make my mind up for me. The freezing thing intrigues me the most about the Olympus. My Sony refuses to take focused pictures below about 40F and will not focus in humidity about 95% or so, even if not raining. For example, we were up on Tray in a heavy fog a few months back and very few of the pics I took on that trip properly focused.

I will work on getting a variety of pictures in my profile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++