WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Would u buy this magazine???

Becoming unemployed in the ungracious world of hospitality in the last couple of days has gotten my mind steaming with ideas. I still have to return to that world, however I have some experience in the full fledge production of the magazine media and would like to throw out an idea to you all.

What do you think of this idea (I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?

Magazine Proposal/Web Page

Title: Long Distance

Content: Stories of real life travelers from a variety of modes of transportation:

Hiking (of course my personal favorite)
    bicycling
    motorcycling
    kayaking/canoeing
    horesback/llama
    truckers?
    alternative flying - baloons, single engine?
    Train?

Composition: the magazine would be set up more to the tune of a Reader's Digest. What I mean by that is a good read. Something that would make you stay in your bathroom for a good hour or two, lol, just kidding, not really. Advertisments which are needed would not inturupt the stories, they would be isolated on the sides of the pages only and then in one advertising section, kinda like the yellow pages.

There will also be tips/suggestions given by the long distance travelers themselves. I'd like also to incorporate guidelines to go along with featured articles from whatever official autorities are encoutered, ie; National Parks, State Police, blah, blah blah on whatever the feature article.

Would you buy this magazine and/or like to help start it??????
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

I like the idea! if I saw it in Barnes and Noble / Books a million would totally pick it up.
    not all who wander are lost, but can i just take a quick peek at your map?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe also if it was in the realm of those Real Life drama stories or whatever that they once had in Readers Digest. People like to read that kind of thing. It's all drama these days. or reality show type thing.

You need to think of the audience and how many would actually sell, etc. PLus I have heard magazine subscriptions are on the decline.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blister View Post
    I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?
    For the most part. You already hold rights to any creative work of your own. The idea here is that you have a sealed document dated by a official third party - the government. Just don't open it, or this evidence is void. I believe it would hold up reasonably well in a law suit, but it depends on how specific your information is. If someone stole your idea as you've laid it out here, but changed the title, you likely wouldn't be able to do anything about that. It'd have to be a complete theft.

Best of luck on the 'zine. I'd suggest finding a local printer, get a deal on small (relatively) runs of a few thousand, and sell them for cost -at first- to the communities you're trying to penetrate. That's the old model. OR go 100% web content, free subscription, low cost on your end, build a mailing list, and perhaps launch into print in the future -- but that's a damn tough business to break into with just a sliver of hope of the most razor thin of profit margins.

Default Great idea.......

and I will be glad to contribute a 9,500 mile motorcycle trip I did in 2001 to Alaska and back SOLO !!

Let me know when you ready to accept articles and the specifics regarding my pics, getting paid, etc...

Best of luck.

I am currently working on a Coffee Table book myself.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Images

Cortez: I realize all that you have mentioned. That is why I started with the poor mans copywrite which I can gaurentee is more specific than what I have mentioned here. I may be a poor girl , but a very smaert girl. In addition have the experience of putting together many monthly magazines and have the contacts to do so. So what is your honest opinion?

Blissful: All the stories would be reality - long distance that is. Real stories from real travalers. I am sure if this thing ever takes off, there will awesome acoounts
    of travels.

zzzzdyd: send me a story, I have hiked all 3 major trails and have lots of stories.
    What I need is what I have already mentioned. A good long distance travel "story". pm me.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

There will also be tips/suggestions given by the long distance travelers themselves. I'd like also to incorporate guidelines to go along with featured articles from whatever official autorities are encoutered, ie; National Parks, State Police, blah, blah blah on whatever the feature article.
    Very interesting, Blister! Sign me up if this section has a 'do-this-trip' followup w/ maps etc.

Teej < guilty of doing magazine inspired travels before
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Sounds interesting.

Intriguing idea. What I usually ask myself is, "Why would I buy this instead of that?", or in this case, what about Long Distance would make me sail right past Conde Nast Traveler to pick it up?

As someone mentioned, hard copy subscriptions are on the decline. To counter this, perhaps you could include a mini-CD or DVD of extra goodies with each issue. Also create some practical synergies between the publication and the website.

You mentioned Reader's Digest and that's an outstanding example. Outside of the actual content, what made that so great for me was the shape. Yes, the shape... it was "grab 'n go", you could easily stow it away in a pocket, purse, etc. A similarly unique tactile approach would work well in theme and usage for Long Distance, IMO.

You've probably already considered this stuff, but thanks for letting me add my 2 cents. Good luck!!
    "Don't wait too long." -JPH

Becoming unemployed in the ungracious world of hospitality in the last couple of days has gotten my mind steaming with ideas. I still have to return to that world, however I have some experience in the full fledge production of the magazine media and would like to throw out an idea to you all.

What do you think of this idea (I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?

Magazine Proposal/Web Page

Title: Long Distance

Content: Stories of real life travelers from a variety of modes of transportation:

Hiking (of course my personal favorite)
    bicycling
    motorcycling
    kayaking/canoeing
    horesback/llama
    truckers?
    alternative flying - baloons, single engine?
    Train?

Composition: the magazine would be set up more to the tune of a Reader's Digest. What I mean by that is a good read. Something that would make you stay in your bathroom for a good hour or two, lol, just kidding, not really. Advertisments which are needed would not inturupt the stories, they would be isolated on the sides of the pages only and then in one advertising section, kinda like the yellow pages.

Would you buy this magazine and/or like to help start it??????
    sounds like Trailjournals. most of the stories/journals on there are WAY boring

Images

i like your idea blister. it would be far more entertaining than the drivel that occupies the magazine racks currently.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Storyteller
    Images

Isolating advertising will be a non-starter with advertisers. They want prime sports where readers will see them. A seperate section for the ads would not bring much revenue, and ad revenue is the lifeblood of most publications. Few, if any, can come close to covering costs with subscription or single copy sale revenue.

Unless you have considerable resources to back a print start-up, your best bet would be to go the Web route. But even then, it will be a real challenge to generate enough revenue to survive if you don't have the financial backing to get you through at least a year or two while you build the audience it will take to attract advertisers.

Another concern will be quality content. As Lone Wolf pointed out above, while all travelers have interesting stories, most of them to not have the ability to tell those stories very well. Are you going to have professional writers seek out and write these stories? Or rely on those travelers to write their own tales?

If you choose to go with professional writers, that will mean another cost to consider. You might find some writers willing to write for clips. But that only works with young, unestablished writers and you will have to be constantly recruiting to replace them when they find someone willing to pay for their efforts.

I am not trying to discourage you. But you need to be realistic. If you intend this as a business venture, it will be a mighty tough row to hoe. Would have been even before the economy jumped the shark. Nowadays it will be even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    Unless you have considerable resources to back a print start-up, your best bet would be to go the Web route.
    I work in magazine publishing. It's an expensive business and a very challenging startup idea. Why? Chicken and the egg. You don't have advertisers until you have readers. But you don't have readers without a publication. And you don't have a publication for very long without money from said advertisers.

But, it sounds like a cool idea. Done right it could be something I'd look forward to reading.

but a very smaert girl.
    Be.
    LOL, you been hanging with Matty again?

As a writer, I can tell you the Poor Mans Copy write doesn't do anything really. Its ok to have as a back up, but the best bet is to register the idea, especially if its written out, with the WGA (Writers Guild) which will protect it as a legal document for 5 years initially.

I think this would work better as an online Mag.

This way you could alternate ad space, sale products directly through the site from those who do ads, even get in the market with tour companies who are searching out sites such as that for people who like to travel.

Its a viable idea and I can hook you up with some great web design people if you want.

You know where I can be found...well, most of the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post

You know where I can be found...well, most of the time.
    Are you back in my neck of the woods again??
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Images

Default My idea...

After eating a tasty dinner of beets and goat cheese, I got to scroll through your sugg's

I had two ideas, I understand what you are all saying. I think the best kicker of this idea is that it is not just boring stories from trail journals but stories from many modes of long distance travel. With that I understand there are ALOT of boring writers out there at the same time there are alot of talented ones too. I wouldnt publish someones pathetic journal entry that the day was rainy and I got mud on my shoes. The stories would be interesting rather funny, trecherous, scary or even romantic(dont know how that would work - just an example) but a good read.
    I wonder if making up a mock example with stories and pic's as the example publication, that could get sent out to potential advertisers in order to start generating revenue at the same time to be sent out to potential retail distributers to peak thier interest of carrying the subscription.

Thoughts
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Are you back in my neck of the woods again??

I wish.

Im stranded in LA for now.

Hope to get to Colorado where I have a train ticket home Dec 5th to see Mom for a week or so, then I have to find a way to make money to get a place so I can edit this new project.

need to talk to P.R. about the HW for the winter if I can cover the bills.

Too bad my tent doesnt have an electrical outlet.

Hope to be n NH before too long though.

Gotta sing some Station karaoke and see my Whites.

Mountains, not white people....just to clearify, not that I have anything against white people.

Images

There is a Reader's Digest size magazine called Marathon and Beyond that's sold at Barnes & Noble. They feature, mostly, coverage of long distance (really long distance) runs and races. They seem to get most of their ad revenue from race advertisements, and a little bit from gear manufacturers. Another magazine that covers similar terrain so to speak is Trail Runner - sold at EMS and other outdoor retailers. They do quite a lot of coverage of long distance trail running and also discuss adventure racing and tri's. Again, mostly they seem to feature ads from gear manufacturers.

I would find a magazine like the one you proposed extremely interesting, because rather than focusing on one area like running or swimming or hiking, you'd cover a bunch of them. I might be able to find out about things I don't know anything about, like most non-foot-propelled sports.

Please keep us posted!

Jane in Ct

Images

I think it's a fantastic idea! Funny though, the last person I knew who wanted to start a travel magazine was in the hospitality industry... must be the need to stay on the fringe.

Journal Entries

I put out newsletters for the Maine Chapter, AMC; MATC. and the Phippsburg Land Trust. They are printed on cheap newsprint, but I can produce 3,000 copies of 8 page, tabloid size for $400.

A very successful amateur farm magazine 30 years ago used a smaller format, but only slightly better paper. Unfortunately, it got so successful that the founder sold out to a "real" publisher. The magazine quickly died.

Weary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++