WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Mariposa v G4 question

I've had a G4 for years, but it's a bit small for winter camping. I roll up a CCF and stick it vertically into the pack (what can I say? Old age caught up and now I need 2 pads underneath to stay warm on a cool night.) and that takes up quite a bit of room.

Anyway, GVP's site says the G4 has 2800ci in the body, and the Mariposa has 3700ci. That's a HUGE difference. Is the Mariposa taller, have larger diameter, or what? Can somebody with both pack comment please.

Thanks,

David

Hike smarter, not harder.

Backpacking Light had this pic.......

With this comment.....

We all loved Gossamer Gear's G4 (left) in its heyday, but its 4600 cubic inch volume was simply too much for ultralight backpacking. The Mariposa Plus at 4200 cubic inches (center) is much better. It’s about the same size as the Six Moon Designs Comet (right), although the Comet has a specified volume of 3700 cubic inches. Volume specifications don’t always indicate the actual size of a pack.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I wish I could figure out how to edit. I have a Mariposa, but not a G4. I had always understood the G4 to be bigger.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Keep in mind the new G4 is smaller than the old model, by about 1000ci.

The 3700ci figure for the Mariposa comes from a 2900ci body + 800ci extension collar. Current Mariposa and new G4 are of similar volume.
    -Mark

Images

I just wonder if the confusion here is that not all G4 packs are the same and also not all Mariposa packs are the same. The current website shows a G4 ultralight (is this different tthan the original G4???). Also the Mariposa is the Mariposa Plus (possibly different than the regular Mariposa????) My memory is that the old G4 was 4600 cu.in. but the new version on the website is 3500 cu.in.

Any thoughts.....
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

++ New Posts ++