WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Hiking poll: religious / Non religious ~ You may choose more than one.

Voters
175. This poll is closed
  • Hike for religious or spiritual reasons / Closeness.

46 26.29%
  • Have found religion or spiritual awareness while hiking.

42 24.00%
  • Hike because the trail is there.

59 33.71%
  • Recovering from a dependency.

8 4.57%
  • Get closer to nature.

89 50.86%
  • Find the inner self.

45 25.71%
  • Get away from life’s troubles.

59 33.71%
  • Get away from people.

53 30.29%
  • All of the above.

26 14.86%
  • None of the above.

18 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Understandable...

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Actually, this seems to be a good topic, and I've enjoyed reading what others had to say about their experiences. You know, religion and politics do spark heated discussions, but if we avoid the discussions, we never really learn how to handle them better and we rob ourselves of whatever merit others' opinions might have to offer. While there have been just a few responses which I find to be contemptful (Bushism?), if we handle not responding to them so much, we can follow where this topic takes us.
    Understandable.... I probably should have communicated better on this one, dialogue on such topics can be beneficial and there's no doubt that I learned much from such discussions.... I just want to make sure that I keep within the intent of the original post.... I've really enjoyed this particular discussion thread and would hate to see it prematurely shutdown due to a political digression....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I'm a Christian. My last trek, which was on the Long Trail, was a really powerful spiritual experience for me. God taught me a variety of things along the way, both directly and through others I met along the way.

Darwin
    [email protected]

Images

The fact that we can all experience different things on the trail is, in my opinion, the most wonderful thing about us all.... We are all different, and getting to know everyones opinion and viewpoint allows one to see things through someone elses eyes. I have my beliefs, but I will not overstep the boundary that I feel everyone deserves, and that is the free will to believe and live how they choose......

Journal Entries

""...let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth" 1 John 3:18"
    I can agree with that. Is anyone else up for it?

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    Absolutely. Simple, yet universal.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    A lofty goal, but one worth pursuing.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Though I am a Christian, I think hiking the AT can be a spiritual experience even if you aren't religious. Anytime you are tired...I mean really tired, miserable and ready to quit and feel like you just can't go on another step but you dig way deep down and make yourself do it. You push yourself beyond the limits of what you ever thought you could do...I think this is spiritual. These are the things we remember more vividly than anything else. This is the triumph of the human spirit over adversity.

atheist here...for me spiritual moments are feelings of being at one with the universe...most likely to happen in a natural setting
    i think we can all agree wild places need to be protected from development...future generations will need them as much as we do...
    live and let live
    you're welcome...
    -the social invalid

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i hike for buffets
    But remember, Lone Wolf sometimes lies. I think he hasn't figured out his real thoughts about such matters. I mean, truth is truth. Every flop house meal 50 years ago was better than the typical AT buffet. I sense flop houses have gotten even better over the decades, though I haven't sampled them since a bit before I became an "award winning" reporter-- and incidentally, now a poor retired newspaper reporter.

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

When I hike in the creation I move closer to the Creator. Famous verse in Bible: "draw near to God and he will draw near to you". When I am hiking and camping I am removed from the noise and distractions of my life. If I take advantage of the situation my experience is that I can hear the Lord much easier and draw nearer to Him. the beauty of His creation sure helps me draw near and "draw down"!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Default Transition

My thru-hike is about making a transition. I was dead on an operating room table in July. 5 weeks in the hospital and several in a coma. When I came out of the coma I couldn't walk, talk, or hold a spoon. In 2008 I lost my career, home, retirement and am considered disabled. Fast forward, I will be attending graduate school in Sept. 2010 to start a new career. this walk is extremely important spriritually as well as mentally and physically. Right now I am struggling physically even though I have been training for the hike since dec. I trust my body will adapt. Getting my head clear and building up my inner strenght, that may take the whole trip. I don't know if I can finish this, but I am committed to one day at a time....

Smile

Wow Q-Tip. That is a cool story. Hope to meet you some day.

This is a great thread. I have a feeling that even more are reading this thread than the pages suggest. I know that I have enjoyed it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I also hike for the profound silence one can experience.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Hiking the AT was probably the most powerful confirmation in my mind that there is nothing spiritual in nature. I'm not sure how anyone can spend that much time out there and still think that there's anything other than non-sentient indifference. But, that's why it's so appealing to me. There's no BS, just trees.

Journal Entries
    Images

Clured: is it all meaningless, then?

Images

Hiking is very spiritual for me. Hiking enables me to listen closer to God by providing a place that is not full of material contraptions, etc. Many of us babble at God during our daily lives, but don't take the time to listen for his reply. I was saved in the late seventies and got serious about a christian walk in the mid eighties. Now as a mature christian, I see the path of the christian walk very similar to the AT. There's always more trail, there is always more to do in my daily walk with him. When I was a young hiker, many more experienced hikers helped me. As a seasoned christian, now I can help others with their walk.

I also view my ability to hike and the time I spend on the trail as a reward from God. He pours out his blessings and mercy and my cup overfloweth. To all who wonder if He is out there, put Him to the test. Go out and listen for the still small voice in the wilderness. He will answer.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Images

I find that when I am hiking/biking is when I find myself most in the present/now. Not worrying about what needs to be done, or what I need to be doing. So yes I do it for spiritual reasons. I am agnostic so being immersed in the nature is great therapy for me. I feel truly alive when I am out there. No rules, no one telling me what to do! Call it what you like....your zen, the now, walking with god, meditation, prayer.

Just for the record....I dont care what "religion" anyone out there is. I try to follow one cardinal rule in life...."Do unto others.....ect."
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++