WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Sleeping Bag Liner

Hi i pick up two flanner sheets at a thirft store monday i was thinking about making a sleeping bag liner out of them. Have any of you guy ever use flanner for a sleeping
    bag liner i thing it would add abount 10 deg. mabye a little more to the sleeping bag rating. What do you guys think

Images

Dovetail and I used this idea in June when we hiked from Harper's to Duncannon. Worked well for us as our only cover. Will probably be great as a liner but you are adding maybe 2 oz over a commercial liner.

Flannel lining in a bag is ok in the summer. Since flannel is made of cotton, or cotton/polyester, it holds body moisture which will actually chill you rather than warm you when temps get too cold for your bag's rating. Fleece - polyester, would be a much better bet. You can find it on sale just about anyplace that sells fabric.
    Better yet, wear some fleece clothing to bed and carry something on your back during the day which you can use to walk around in camp wearing and which will also add warmth to your bag. By the way, cotton underwear will also chill you in cold weather because it can get very damp. Look for polyester underwear or go commando (without).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

If the flannel gets wet it will be heavy and take a long time to dry.

Panzer

Images

A better idea is a buy a fleece square bag, like Ozark Trail makes and reshape it to fit inside your mummy bag. A fleece mummy liner at REI was $39. I got the OT at Walmart for $9.99 and it took me an hour to rework. Adds 15-20 degrees easy, washes easy and it drys very, very fast

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It would be heavy comparatively and since it's cotton and if it gets damp, it won't keep you warm.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Partinj,

If you could answer a couple of more questions, it might be easier to give you a better answer:

1) Are you planning to take this along on a thru-hike?
    2) Are you primarily interested in improving your comfort inside the bag, or are you more interested in increasing your bag's warmth?

I'd posit that you aren't going to get much additional comfort for the weight you'll be adding, since you'll probably be in clothing already and won't really feel the flannel all that much.

If it's warmth you're after, why not stuff your bag with an emergency bivy. I picked up one for $6 today at Eastern Mountain Sports. It's rated to reflect 90% of body heat back into the biv, so would substantially increase my sleeping bag's warmth ratio on those nights where I felt the additional heat would be worth the small amount of comfort I'd sacrifice. Best of all, this solution adds maybe 2 ounces to your packweight.

Cheers,
    Buckwheat

Images

I have made a liner from an Army poncho liner.
    Adds about 15 degrees to the bag.

++ New Posts ++