WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Pennsylvania deer hunting advisory!

Pennsylvania's regular firearms deer season begins Monday, December 1 and runs through Saturday, December 13. I have suggested before the 1st 2 days and at least the 1st Saturday of the regular firearms deer season are good times to hike elsewhere or find something else to do.

At least a fluorescent orange hat is a legal requirement for everyone on Pennsylvania State Game Lands through December 15 except Sundays when hunting is prohibited.

DEER, (Antlered & Antlerless) Regular Firearms WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2E, 2F, 3A, 3B, 3D, 4A, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A, 5B, 5C & 5D: Dec. 1-13.

DEER, (Antlered Only) Regular Firearms: WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C & 4B: Dec. 1-5.

DEER, (Antlered & Antlerless) Regular Firearms: WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C & 4B: Dec. 6-13.

Deer hunting will occur in the proximity The A.T. east of Susquehanna River (WMUs 3D and 4C) during the entire period save for Sunday, December 7.

Click on whitetail deer and WMU maps for additional information provided by Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC).

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Tis The Season To Share Trail In Pa.

I love this time of year in PA., it's when hikers and Hunters use public lands, both at the same time.

There are always a few unfortunate souls every year that are taken out by friendly fire, don't let it be you this year.

Here in PA, deer season is a big deal, Schools shut down, the Pocono's roads are overrun with out of state license plates, and even though the woods are almost empty due to foul weather, all the local shopping malls, hotels, eating establishments, and Cabelas parking lots are full to the brim. http://www.cabelas.com/retail-2/reta...amburg_h.shtml

Lots of hunters here in PA, and nervous AT hikers aplenty, wear blaze orange if it makes you feel better!
    Good Luck to All

Images

Do they stay at your hostile?

Images

We were going to do the 10 mile circuit of Massanuten Mt trail to Signal Knob yesterday (Saturday the 29th). About 2/10ths of a mile into it we ran into two hunters with rifles who told us it was the last day for hunting deer with rifles in VA and they were very anxious to get something. We realized we weren't wearing any bright clothing so we turned around, went back to the car and drove to SNP to hike there - no hunting allowed. It might have been just fine on the first trail but why take the chance.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

aw, man! I was planning to hike tomorrow. No school= no substitute teaching for me. Thanks for the heads up, I would''ve forgotten. Looks like I'll be dehydrating food tomorrow instead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    We were going to do the 10 mile circuit of Massanuten Mt trail to Signal Knob yesterday (Saturday the 29th). About 2/10ths of a mile into it we ran into two hunters with rifles who told us it was the last day for hunting deer with rifles in VA and they were very anxious to get something. We realized we weren't wearing any bright clothing so we turned around, went back to the car and drove to SNP to hike there - no hunting allowed. It might have been just fine on the first trail but why take the chance.
    Hunters not mistake you for slender deer. Deer don't have gnarly muscly calfs
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    and drove to SNP to hike there - no hunting allowed. It might have been just fine on the first trail but why take the chance.
    No legal hunting allowed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I would've forgotten.
    It's traditionally opened the Monday following Thanksgiving and run about 2 weeks. Monday, Tuesday and the first Saturday are when the most hunters will be afield.

This thread should have a wake-up on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

Images

My best advice is to stay off the trail completely for the first 2 weeks of December. Besides not being completely safe its also crowed with hunters. You would not have any sense of solitude.

let the hunters have their 2 weeks.

Panzer

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Stay off the trails in Pa.

If you don't have to go -DON'T!

One year I forgot it was deer season. I went out late hiked south to the Darlington Shelter north of Harrisburg, pa. In the early morning I hiked north to grab different equipment out of my car then go north to the Cove Mtn. shelter. The shooting began at sun up and it sounded like a war being fought. It was 2+miles across farmland & valley to get back onto the ridge.
    2 miles of being a target is not worth it.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

whack 'em and stack 'em

Images

Pennsylvania's regular firearms deer season opened at 0638 local time.

Images

I really, really don't see any reason to panic over hunting season. Make a blaze orange hat part of your fall and winter hiking apparel and you're good to go.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I really, really don't see any reason to panic over hunting season. Make a blaze orange hat part of your fall and winter hiking apparel and you're good to go.
    yeah really. much ado over nothing

Images

Seriously, I passed a slew of car wrecks on the way home from the mountains last night. I would have been much safer staying in the woods...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

I hear ya. Throw some blaze orange on and keep hiking. I strapped a cheap blaze orange vest on my pack for about 500 miles during my SOBO. No big deal.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I agree. I wouldnt let it stop me from hiking. But have you hiked during deer season in PA? You'll see a hunter every 100 yds your entire trip even if you do a 100 mile section and that is no exaggeration. I dont think the AT is as bad though.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

It was bow season when I hiked through PA. I helped one guy push-start his Jeep.

For choosing a section, I would factor hunting season in just like any other crowd attractant, like 4th of July. I would consider parking space at the trailheads, etc.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

I hit PA during bow and muzzle-loading season. No big deal, other than the noise in the background.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

It was bow season when I hiked through PA. I helped one guy push-start his Jeep.

For choosing a section, I would factor hunting season in just like any other crowd attractant, like 4th of July. I would consider parking space at the trailheads, etc.
    bow season and rifle season are completely different
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++