WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    bow season and rifle season are completely different
    Well, yeah, but I hiked through VA during rifle season. There are plenty of hunters in VA, too. One guy shot a deer just below Saunders Shelter while I was there.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

^ what Marta said. Rifle season in VA. Bear season in NC/TN... SOBO's hike at least 1/2 their hikes during major hunting seasons every year. Just throw on the blaze orange and keep on truckin'

Images

Rather than quote every post since my last and respond to each, I'll simply point out what should be obvious to an observant reader: no one who's posted has been here on opening day of the regular firearms season for deer.

There are few if any SOBO through hikers on the Pennsylvania A.T. at this time in the sense the term is ordinarily used here. What we're discussing here relates to timing and location of A.T. section-hikes and day-hikes.

Being here during archery, muzzle-loader, doe or any of the other deer seasons is an entirely different matter. The number of hunters in the woods doesn't compare as The Solemates point out. Nearly all of them will be carrying rifles with muzzle velocities that approach or even exceed 2000 feet per second with a corresponding increase in range.

On Blue Mountain east of the Susquehanna River, a substantial amount of activity will be focused on a single, narrow ridge. While there is public access from SGL parking areas both north and south of the ridge, there will be plenty of hunters on the top of the ridge where the A.T. runs.

The majority of hunters are responsible, law-abiding men and women, but Don't Know and his brother-in-law Don't Care will be out there too. Many hunters will not know where they are relative to the A.T. until they happen upon it.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Rather than quote every post since my last and respond to each, I'll simply point out what should be obvious to an observant reader: none have been here on opening day of the regular firearms season for deer.
    we have. several times. its crazy.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    its crazy.
    That's why I'm suggesting finding something else to do unless someone wants to participate in the opening day's hunt. I suggest the same for at least tomorrow and Saturday too.

Channel 4 news in DC reported tonight that a horse was shot in Maryland by a hunter who "saw something brown move, and fired". Dumb is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Channel 4 news in DC reported tonight that a horse was shot in Maryland by a hunter who "saw something brown move, and fired". Dumb is everywhere.
    Nah, I think dumb is out east. Over here, the horse own would track down the shooter and shoot him. Don't want him to reproduce anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Nah, I think dumb is out east. Over here, the horse own would track down the shooter and shoot him. Don't want him to reproduce anymore.
    You shot your own argument in the foot

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    You shot your own argument in the foot
    Sorry, forgot to put one of these guys in

That should help my argument

Images

The rain and FOG may have kept a lot of the hunters off of the Blue Mountain today. I was up at our club's cabin near Rt. 501 for most of the day, and I heard very few shots - and most of those were well down the mountainside approaching the valley floor.

The weather threw everything at 'em today - rain, sleet, wind, even thunder-snow! I was glad for the roof overhead and the fire in the woodstove.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

All the more reason to stay home tomorrow. Today they were probably all at Cabela's buying ammo!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    All the more reason to stay home tomorrow. Today they were probably all at Cabela's buying ammo!
    Lots of nice trophy bucks at Cabela's - at least they can say that they saw a few!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Not as cold there either!

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    The rain and FOG may have kept a lot of the hunters off of the Blue Mountain today. I was up at our club's cabin near Rt. 501 for most of the day, and I heard very few shots - and most of those were well down the mountainside approaching the valley floor.

The weather threw everything at 'em today - rain, sleet, wind, even thunder-snow! I was glad for the roof overhead and the fire in the woodstove.
    Theres also very little deer movement in that weather. I've hunted in some nasty stuff before, just hoping to see a deer pass by in the thick woods on its way to a sheltered spot that I was watching over. I saw two deer that day, and I froze to my seat, and my beard froze to my coveralls. It was a good day

Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Theres also very little deer movement in that weather. I've hunted in some nasty stuff before, just hoping to see a deer pass by in the thick woods on its way to a sheltered spot that I was watching over. I saw two deer that day, and I froze to my seat, and my beard froze to my coveralls. It was a good day
    Yeah, in weather like that, the deer just hunker down and let the weather happen...much smarter than some people I know!

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Hostile?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Do they stay at your hostile?
    What hostile?

I've been out on the first day both hiking and hunting(I opted for hunting this year). I agree with Marta, put some orange on and get on with your life.

Images

This deer fought back (unsuccessfully)

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-who-shot-him/
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Gotta agree that rifle season is a big deal in PA, and that hikers best stay out of the woods unless they have serious, serious symptoms of trail withdrawl. Also like somebody else mentioned, it defeats the whole purpose of that quiet winter solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    This deer fought back (unsuccessfully)

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-who-shot-him/

Should have checked the deer better...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++