WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fast hike GA section

Hello, I am starting to plan a hike of the GA section (including the approach trail). I want to do it fast. I am an ultralighter and am training for a marathon. I want to look at doing the hike over a long weekend. Anyone ever done this section quickly or know someone who has. I did the section over a five day period a few years back. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Brack

Journal Entries
    Images

I think Phreak has done Springer to Neel in 22 or 23 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    that's only 1.3 miles an hour or so. not very fast

Images

I did Bly Gap to Springer Mountain in 22 hr 11 min.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, I was wrong, I knew he did something that I knew was pretty damn fast! Sorry Phreak!

Images

OK, I was wrong, I knew he did something that I knew was pretty damn fast! Sorry Phreak!
    No worries!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    No worries!
    Hey the guy is fast, trust me, I've seen him in action!!!

Images

\

What took you so long?

(Just kidding. I was going to say I could prolly hike 1.3 miles an hour in GA.)
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Phreak, I was going to post a link to your trail report, but the link is dead

Anyone looking for a rabbit?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

This link still works: http://www.hikes247.com/journals/200...6_5-13_AT.html Great story.

I've done it in 3 and 4 days without too much stress. 2 days would be doable-ish with some effort. 1 day, well, that would take some extra work Sounds like a fun challenge though!

Take a look at the elevation profiles to help estimate your pace and a rough water plan (e.g. don't carry extra water uphill to Blue Mountain when there's water up there already, etc.). You already know Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap makes an easy resupply if you've got some time and aren't too picky.

-Mark

Which pack in particular would you use for a trip like that? And what gear would you carry for 2 to 3 days to keep moving fast?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    Which pack in particular would you use for a trip like that? And what gear would you carry for 2 to 3 days to keep moving fast?
    A jet pack of course

Seriously, any 24-40 liter lightweight pack, bag, tarp, groundsheet and pad would do.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I have the go lite ray jardine pack (I forget the name), an rei sub kilo bag, and a two person tarp tent. I am planning on doing the hike with a buddy of mine so that we can split some gear.

However I am thinking about what we will truly need if we are going to try and do it under (or around) 24 hours.

Whistler what did you carry that brought your pack weight up so much? I didn't read anything about sleeping in your trip journal. So I assume you didn't carry a shelter.

Also did you choose to go south because of the ease of pickup at Springer/Approach trail?

How often did you eat? I am thinking every two to three hours something needs to be eaten.

And finally had you done any other training besides the section hiking of the trail?

Thanks for any input.

Images

Brack,

I think that you are confused, the link is to Phreak's website about Phreak's 22 hr GA AT hike report.

He always hikes / trains with a pack and gear. I saw a 3" hardbound book in his pack on one trip on the Duncan Ridge Trail. It's his handicap to even the field.

Garlic
    Images

Pickle and I got to the NC border in four days this year, and we were just warming up for our thru, taking it a little easy at the start. If you're ready for a fast three days and keep your base weight to 10# or under, you should be able to do it. Good luck and have fun!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brack View Post
    I have the go lite ray jardine pack (I forget the name), an rei sub kilo bag, and a two person tarp tent. I am planning on doing the hike with a buddy of mine so that we can split some gear.

However I am thinking about what we will truly need if we are going to try and do it under (or around) 24 hours.

Whistler what did you carry that brought your pack weight up so much? I didn't read anything about sleeping in your trip journal. So I assume you didn't carry a shelter.

Also did you choose to go south because of the ease of pickup at Springer/Approach trail?

How often did you eat? I am thinking every two to three hours something needs to be eaten.

And finally had you done any other training besides the section hiking of the trail?

Thanks for any input.
    I always carry normal overnight gear for my speed hikes. Just in case something was to happen and I was stuck in the woods. I was carrying my Black Diamond Lighthouse tent during this particular trip.

Yes, I hiked SOBO for logistic reasons.

I eat continuously during my speed hikes - I take in calories every 20-30 minutes or so, even if it's just a handful of GORP, Powerbar or a GU.

No special training - I hike/backpack a lot and trail run as often as I can, so I'm usually up for a speed hike on short notice or when ever I get the itch to do one.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey thanks for the link to Phreak's journals. I enjoyed reading them all day at work today!

Thanks for all of the input. I am sure I will have some more questions as we get a little closer to the spring. But I think this is enough to get the gears turning.

Images

You can slack Georgia with Hiker Hostel. Break it into 2 comfortable days and have a soft bed and breakfast in between.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

One more quick question. What is a good drop off or pick up spot that is close to Bly gap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++