WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

One more relatively simple suggestion just to exhaust all troubleshooting possibilities that I can think of:

Even tho the fuel was new and expensive, I guess it could still have been a bad lot. I would either buy some Coleman, empty the SVEA completely, allow it to dry (gotta get the potentially bad fuel out of the wick), and try again with different fuel. At the least, I would try some of the MSR fuel in another whitegas stove, see if it burns ok there.

It is possible that MSR's quality control is at fault. At least this will eliminate one more possibility.

Images

Actually, we're doing what you suggested, though by accident. Last weekend's trip finished off our fuel supply from our existing MSR can. And we've been emptying the fuel after use because otherwise the stove leaks.

I should say that, at this point, the stove is burning well. The problem is that the control valve isn't working properly. (A different form of malfunction of the same valve is what led us to return stove #1.) David is not sure whether there is some sort of schmutz in the valve that is preventing it from closing, or is the tolerances are not good enough for it to seal. He hopes to find that out this weekend.

I, however, will be hiking...with an alcohol stove.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Well, my stove, tho old, is the design with the built in cleaning needle. I have noticed that in the last 10 years or so, after burning, when I turn the stove off, a small flame remains as long as their is still pressure in the tank. I've attributed it to a wearing and enlarging of the fuel jet. I just allow the stove to cool and the flame goes out, or I blow it out. It does help, tho, to keep your water hot longer if you want a second cup of coffee. Am I looking for a silver lining here?

I've never noticed mine actually leaking fuel, but I'm always careful to pack it in an upright position, and usually always stand my pack up when it's off my back. I've always done that.

Again, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Well, my stove, tho old, is the design with the built in cleaning needle. I have noticed that in the last 10 years or so, after burning, when I turn the stove off, a small flame remains as long as their is still pressure in the tank. I've attributed it to a wearing and enlarging of the fuel jet. I just allow the stove to cool and the flame goes out, or I blow it out. It does help, tho, to keep your water hot longer if you want a second cup of coffee. Am I looking for a silver lining here?

I've never noticed mine actually leaking fuel, but I'm always careful to pack it in an upright position, and usually always stand my pack up when it's off my back. I've always done that.

Again, good luck.
    I recently starting playing around with the older model SVEA and found this website to have a great amount of information on the SVEA 123 & 123R and how to maintain it.

http://www.spiritburner.com/

I've had no problems and really enjoy using it. Priming and insulating from the cold ground are key.

-Stephen

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sounds like dirty fuel to me, although I haven't used a Svea since the 70's. And I wouldn't pay extra to get the MSR fuel.

It's already unusable for backpacking purposes, since it leaks fuel when not operating.[/quote]

Leaks where? That's very peculiar.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I'm sure that is related to it not wanting to shut off properly. Something is definitely screwed up in the stem.

Quote Originally Posted by troglobil View Post
    I'm sure that is related to it not wanting to shut off properly. Something is definitely screwed up in the stem.
    Sometimes the stem gets bent or askew, hard to fix and results in poor performance. I think the old Svea is a relic from the past, albeit a beautiful brass one, and needs to be retired to a high shelf somewhere. Fun to look at, hassle to use. The obvious advantages of having a separate fuel tank(like MSR), alone, is worth deep-sixing the 123. The website cphobes highlighted is a college course in these brass babies, going back to dim prehistory with a myriad of product codes, numbers and nomenclatures. All Hail therefore the Optimus/Svea miracles of old technology, now it's time to upgrade.

There's only one thing the Svea does better than my Simmerlite, it simmers!

Images

I've used a Peak I and I own a Wisperlite and have known and witnessed many of MSR GK owners. None of them is an upgrade to a properly working SVEA. The only "improvement" I've found is an alcohol for the simplicity and weight.

Marta,
    If David finds a specific part that isn't working on your Svea do a search on A & H Enterprises. Then search Optimus stoves and the Svea stove and its component parts should come up for review.
    Because so much of your stove doesn't work I'd send it back and buy one from A & H. You should get better luck by buying from a different vendor instead of from your original vendor who seems to have gotten a bad batch. A&H also does repairs.
    You could also keep your eyes open for an older used one.
    I bought mine 35 years ago and have never had a repair. I am still very pleased. I have the pepsi alcohol stove but I've taken my Svea to the Rockies, the Tetons, short trips on the AT, canoeing down the Allagash in Maine, etc., etc. I think you and David would find it the perfect couples stove and its cheery whoosh is a friendly noise at the end of the day.
    I second the insulation on the bottom during the bitter cold and also the little hand pump that fits over the specialized gas cap that replaces the original gas cap. Both are relatively cheap. Having the stove pressurized this way helps a whole lot.
    David Hahn

El Sordo
    Images

as already mentioned, the poor burning may well have had to do with the cold ground. I've had similar issues in the past. Use it once and it works great. Let it cool and then relight and either poor or no performance. Two cures for this. 1. Open the fuel tank to let the pressure equalize before priming. 2. Keep the tank insulated from the cold ground.

I've also found that little priming pump very useful. It only takes a couple of strokes (no wise cracks) and it's good to go.
    Dyslexics Untie!

What about a warranty?
    I would send it back and demand a replacement -I bet you
    will get one.I own two Sveas-one is ancient and was a gift,the
    other is modern and I love that thing-especially the sound but
    count on alcohol stoves now because of the weight.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    What about a warranty?
    I would send it back and demand a replacement -I bet you
    will get one.I own two Sveas-one is ancient and was a gift,the
    other is modern and I love that thing-especially the sound but
    count on alcohol stoves now because of the weight.
    Oldfivetango
    Back in 1984 I had a finicky Svea that blew a gasket and so I rushed it to my local outfitters(Footsloggers in Boone NC)and the owner pronounced it DOA. The cool thing is, he went in the back and reached under a counter and handed me a new Svea just like that. No questions asked and no money exchanged.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I think the old Svea is a relic from the past, albeit a beautiful brass one, and needs to be retired to a high shelf somewhere.
    Mine is shined up and sitting on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by troglobil View Post
    Mine is shined up and sitting on my desk.
    I can assure you that my Whisperlite is not sitting on my desk. It's a fookin' stove, not a religious icon.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I can assure you that my Whisperlite is not sitting on my desk. It's a fookin' stove, not a religious icon.
    I don't know about that. It just might be. And it doesn't have to be polished, either. Twenty years ago I had a girlfriend from Denmark who couldn't keep her eyes off my little Svea 123. There's some kind of Scandinavian fascination with brass stoves, and my Svea saw a lot of action. On backpacking trips with her into Lost Valley, she would bring her own little European metal backpacking coffee maker that sat up on my Svea and we were in pig heaven. The old Sveas were Danish babe magnets.

Journal Entries

Default Svea 123

Hey, Marta,
    Here's another option. Buy the one I took in '06. It's 31 years old with only 3500 miles. Works great but loud.
    Merry Christmas, Mango

Default Prime x 2

Marta,

I got my Svea and a mini-pump a year ago. The stove was a pain to light in cold or wet weather, but some directions from A & H seem to have solved the problem. It now starts up & burns like a charm. If your Svea has a mechanical problem, this won't help, but, for what it's worth, here's the drill. It's cheap, at least.

Briefly, I guess you could say that I prime the Svea twice: once with the mini-pump (9-10 strokes), then a squirt of fire paste at the base of the burner. Put the windscreen back on (you have to remove it to pump) & light the paste. When the paste is almost burned down, open the valve & the Brass Beauty is cooking.

Like I said, my cranky stove now works like a charm. Hope this helps with yours, too.

Best wishes,
    Dennis

Journal Entries

I have an even worse problem. I put my Svea away 25 or so years ago when I bought a Whisper light, and then a Zip. Now I can't find my Svea. Does anyone knows where it might be?

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post

I assure you, it's both.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++