WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Beer cans are coated so that the aluminum can doesn't spoil the taste of the beer.

The opposite is true of coca-cola. coke is canned without an inner liner because it is corrosive enough that it would dissolve some of the liner and taste funky (fyi This is why canned coke taste better than bottled coke).

Simpy put, use soda cans which should be safe instead of your toxic beer cans.
    don`t forget to drink the corrosive coke from the can first LOL
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Images

Just a bump

Health Canada makes it official: BPA is health hazard

Sarah Schmidt, Canwest News Service

Published: Thursday, October 16, 2008
    OTTAWA - Canada on Saturday will become the first country to formally declare bisphenol A hazardous to human health and officially inform the baby-product industry it will no longer be able to use the chemical in baby bottles.
    Canada's announcement comes six months after Health Minister Tony Clement surprised the chemical industry by announcing the government's plan to place bisphenol A on its list of toxic substances and ban its use in baby bottles.
    In unveiling the "precautionary and prudent" move, Clement proposed a limited ban of the widely used chemical, also found in hard plastic sports bottles and the lining of food cans.
    Health Minister Tony Clement surprised the chemical industry by announcing the government's plan to place bisphenol A on its list of toxic substances six months ago.

David McNew/Getty Images

Email to a friendPrinter friendly Font:

Most Canadians "need not be concerned" about the health effects of bisphenol A, Clement said at the time. "This is not the case for newborns and infants."
    The government's final decision will appear in the Canada Gazette, which publishes the official regulations of the government.

Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence and co-author of the forthcoming book Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health, said the expected declaration is a "good start."

But he said new evidence continues to pile up, pointing to the detrimental health effects of bisphenol A on adults.
    "There's new science coming out on a weekly basis pointing to this chemical being a health concern for adults. Baby bottles are a good start, but the government now needs to take a look at getting this chemical out of the lining in cans."

The latest research, the first large BPA study in humans published last month by the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association, found a "significant relationship" between exposure to the ubiquitous estrogenic chemical and heart disease, diabetes and liver problems.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is under fire after determining last month in a draft report that BPA was safe for food storage. On Thursday, the Washington Post published an editorial arguing the FDA's final recommendation, expected this month, could be "seen as less than fully independent."
    The influential newspaper cited the recent donation of $5 million to the University of Michigan's Risk Science Center from Charles Gelman, the retired head of a medical device manufacturing company and outspoken proponent of bisphenol A.
    The acting director of the university centre is Martin Philbert, a toxicologist who is also head of the FDA advisory panel poised to deliver its risk assessment of BPA.
    Philbert did not disclose the gift to the agency as part of the disclosure process when he was appointed to the panel; he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel he did not need to, since he does not stand to gain from it. The FDA is looking into a possible conflict of interest.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Default Henieken can, the answer

I wrote Heineken customer care about using their cans for cooking/heating water. This is their answer:

Dear Hoz,

Thank you for making Heineken aware of the use of our cans in a nontraditional manner. According to our packaging engineers, the inner lacquer coating of beverage cans are not intended to be used at high temperatures. The specific coating in our beer cans is suited for contact with beer only at pasteurizing temperature, which is well below cooking temperature. We will be contacting this company directly but wanted to share with you our instruction that Heineken cans should be recycled and not re-used.

Regards,

Consumer Affairs - Heineken USA
    Enjoy Heineken Responsibly

Please reply to [email protected]

I agree people are free to live life as they see fit. I won't argue whether BPA is a health hazard (I believe it is).

I don't care about EPA, FDA, CIA, FBI or industry sanctioned studies. All can be "massaged" to fit personal desires. People who sell Heineken and other beer can mess kits have a personal interest.* I won't discuss renal or liver clearance rates or "gut feelings" about how much can be safely absorbed.

But when the company itself says not to do it I feel the information has to be disseminated.

* One alky stove seller has recently discontinued his Heineken Beer Can Pot after being contacted by Heineken. Can Fosters be far behind?

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

ALSO
    Don't forget to treat or filter your water and carry and use that stuff to wash sanitize your hands each time you pick your nose.

SHEESH guys have a cigarette and get a life

Grinder

does DEET work for disolving the plastic out of the cans?

It should be possible to remove the coating by heating vegetable oil in the pot.
    Canola Oil has a smoke point of 468F.

p.s. Heating vegetable oil is very dangerous. Don't do it.
    Man breasts are better than burned breasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    does DEET work for disolving the plastic out of the cans?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    ALSO
    Don't forget to treat or filter your water and carry and use that stuff to wash sanitize your hands each time you pick your nose.

SHEESH guys have a cigarette and get a life

Grinder
    I'll tell you what folks, give up the cigarettes and drink out of the Heineken pots all you want.

Bad Grinder, bad choice. Even 2nd hand smoke is bad for you.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I don't smoke. I'm trying to make the point that you guys are being safety nazis.

Grinder

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I don't smoke. I'm trying to make the point that you guys are being safety nazis.

Grinder
    Who me? I'm no Nazi, do as you like. At least you have the information.

Eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we may die.

And no soup for you!

Journal Entries
    Images

I will just put this out there - when working with boiling water the first couple of times in a Heiny pot a sheen of something comes to the surface.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've always thought the beercan pots were too flimsy to use. I mean sure, lightweight is a functional goal, but I also want durability as well; too many funky things happen on the trail.

Personally, I'm happy with the grease-pot clone I got from agg. Four ounces for pot and lid is still pretty lightweight, and I don't have to worry about it being crused or cracking from stress.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I've always thought the beercan pots were too flimsy to use. I mean sure, lightweight is a functional goal, but I also want durability as well; too many funky things happen on the trail.
    It depends on the hiker.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++