WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default My new Hennessey Hammock

Hey guys,

I got an Expedition Hennessey a couple months ago but didn't get a chance to try it out until today. Setup went great and it's very comfortable to sleep in. I love it but there is only one problem. Folding it up is a pain.. getting it small enough to fit into its bag. Any tips?
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Don't fold it...just stuff it in. If you store the tarp separately...like in an outer pocket on your pack so you can hang it first when it's raining, get under it and stay dry while you unpack your hammock...then you'll have more room in the stuffsack for the hammock. It'll pack easier into your pack when it's squishy like that instead of a firm cylinder, too.

Might want to look at snakeskins and aftermarket tarps as well...just depends on how you want your system to work.

Images

Don't fold it, just stuff it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Might want to look at snakeskins and aftermarket tarps as well...just depends on how you want your system to work.
    Sending back the stock one and upgrading to the explorer tarp is a cheap upgrade. I know for the UL ones it was 10 bucks to upgrade, but it may even be cheaper for the non-UL ones. Look at this before you take it in the woods and get stuck with a tiny used tarp that nobody will buy.

Or make an undercover out of the tiny tarp and buy a MacCat.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Get snake skins. They make stowing so much easier. Just roll the hammock up and pull the skin down on either side to make a hammock sausage. Fold it in half, then fold 1' sections into a nice bundle and shove in the stuffsack.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I converted my stuff bag into a bishop bag by burning a hole in one of the bottom corners and then feeding through the rope at the foot end of the hammock. I keep my hex tarp in skins.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    i made one worked great. put insulation in it to test cold temps. its what made me go to underquilts.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I keep my tarp in a separate place in my pack to deploy it first in case of rain. When packing my hammock, I kinda roll it up. I undo one side and roll it to the other then undo that side and it always fits in the sack.

I use the oversize snakeskins for just the hammock and the bottom cover.It goes
    in there quite easily.Then the oversize tarp I bought goes in the pack in its own
    bag along with the cord I use with it for instant shelter like a previouse poster
    described.Am hoping to eventually get a JRB underquilt and an old rag mountain
    etc.I sleep cold in the hammock but it has been great for my back pain.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Images

Stuffed it. Works like a charm. Thanks guys.

Images

One note of caution when stuffing it. Since we've been adding zipper mods to Hennessy's, we've noticed several hammocks come to us "stuffed". Many have the netting all "pulled up" as a result of the slit velcro. Be sure to fasten the slit velcro together before stuffing to prevent this problem.

Images

Ok will do. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++