WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Updated Pinhoti Maps

Hey Guys,

I've completely re-done my maps for the pinhoti trail. Here's a link to the new set: http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/PinhotiM...MapsIndex.html. The new maps can be downloaded individually, or all together with a zip file.

I created the new set mostly because I wanted to use public domain USGS topo quads as the base map. As opposed to NG TOPO maps, which are not public domain.

The maps appear mostly colorless because they are missing the color "green". The green color doesn't add very much information to USFS maps so it is apparently being phased out on newer topo quads. Most of the Quads that I'm using are older, in this case I have filtered out green with photoshop. Anyhow, I figure this probably saves about $15 in ink, if somone is printing the whole set.

Here's a summary of changes:

Alabama Pinhoti:
    The information on the placemarks for the Alamama pinhoti is the same as before... except that I've added 34.3 miles to the distances on all of the labels from Map 6 onwards. This is to account for the extra distance added by the road walk from Flagg Mtm to Bull Gap.

Georgia Pinhoti:
    The information on maps 1-16 is exactly the same as before. However, on maps 16-19 I have changed the route of the road walk. I think this new route is the "official route". It is a little longer than the old route that I had on the maps, so I've adjusted the mileage on the lables from rest of the trail to account for the change in mileage. Also, I've corrected some labels on the last few pages thanks to suggestions from Two Speed.

That's it for Pinhoti stuff... Let me know if anyone notices mistakes. Or has suggestions.

--Parkay
    My Web Site: Parkaymaps

Images

Hey Mr. Parkay!

Would you mind if I shared this info on a couple other sites??
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Hey Mr. Parkay!

Would you mind if I shared this info on a couple other sites??
    Yeah definitely, that would be a great help. I'm not really sure which web sites link to the old maps... other than the Pinhoti Trail Alliance site. But it you know some, definitely feel free to forward the info.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Also, I've corrected some labels on the last few pages thanks to suggestions from Two Speed.
    Actually that was a joint effort between Kanga and myself.

The errors we found really were minor details, nothing that would have impacted a hike seriously one way or another. I've hiked the Alabama and Georgia sections, with the exception of the road walk between Dalton and Chatsworth. I've used your maps, some maps printed by the Georgia Pinhoti club and the official maps sold at Cheaha State Park. These are the best maps of the Pinhoti that I've seen, bar none.

I really appreciate you taking the time to update this set, and I'm sure there will be many other hikers that will feel the same as time goes by.

Images

Thanks for all the maps, their a great benefit to the hiking community.

What are you getting the quad maps your using? All the maps i've found for free download aren't as high quality as yours. (I'm wanting to maps out some routes too)

thanks

Hey Humunuku,

The USGS base maps came from two sources:

1. libremap.org
    2. US Forest Service GeoData Clearinghouse

Libremap has free USGS 24k quads for the entire nation... the downside is that many of the quads are outdated and sometimes the scans aren't so great.

On the other hand, all of the quads at the GeoData clearing house are new and up-to-date. However, this website only has quads available for certain area's.

Basically, I tried to use quads from the GeoData clearlinghouse as much as possible, then used quads from libremap the rest of the time.

Good luck with the mapping!

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    Thanks for all the maps, their a great benefit to the hiking community.

What are you getting the quad maps your using? All the maps i've found for free download aren't as high quality as yours. (I'm wanting to maps out some routes too)

thanks

Images

MR PARKAY!
    Thanks for the maps ! I used the old version last Spring when I hiked the Alabama Pinhoti. This year I hope to do the Georgia Pinhoti.
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

Images

Great work!

Thru hike Done, working on a section hike. stickat04's Avatar
    Images

Default Thanks

Thanks for the maps Parkay. Planning on doing these two this February.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Just looked over the Pinhoti maps and the rest of the site. What a great resource! Thank you!

-Mark

++ New Posts ++