WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Old: We are going on a backpacking trip.

New: We are going on a backpacking trip. Backpacking means on DAY-1, hike into SITE-A, setup camp, cook, eat, have a campfire, go to bed. DAY-2, get up early, cook, eat, pack all the gear including tents, then hike to SITE-B, x miles down the trail, setup camp, cook, eat, have a campfire, go to bed, etc...

[maybe they will get it after our next trip, which will be the first time we do not have a base camp.]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Old: We are going on a backpacking trip.

New: We are going on a backpacking trip. Backpacking means on DAY-1, hike into SITE-A, setup camp, cook, eat, have a campfire, go to bed. DAY-2, get up early, cook, eat, pack all the gear including tents, then hike to SITE-B, x miles down the trail, setup camp, cook, eat, have a campfire, go to bed, etc...
    We've also had to tell our boys, "This campout is a backpacking trip. No, the trailer with all the extra gear and goodies will NOT be hauled to the camp." Geez! When I went camping as a Scout, the only thing I took was my pack... there was no trailer.

I have never been in scouts,but I have seen and heard of some of the same comments of when passing or camping close to these groups.

I do like the comment about the video games withdrawl hotline on the sat phone speed dial

Old: After the pre-trip gear shakedown, don't add or remove anything unless instructed by the trip leader(s).

New: Really, don't add anything. And especially don't let your Mom convince you that you need to add that huge parka, heavy sweater, and family-size bath towel. 'Cause remember, it's YOU that's going to be carrying all that stuff up the first big hill, and the rest of us will be left wondering why you're struggling so hard.

Old: all of your time will be utilized and you will be so exhausted from all the fun you will drop right off to sleep.
    New: bring a copy of Edward Abbey or Bill Bryson or ( insert favorite outdoor author here) to help you wind down.

OLD: Use common sense.

New: Please refer to your Camp Guide, Book two, section 445 for a listing of needs.
    Please remember to sign all pages and copy three times for distribution.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    OLD: Use common sense.

New: Please refer to your Camp Guide, Book two, section 445 for a listing of needs.
    Please remember to sign all pages and copy three times for distribution.

Also new: don't forget to run it by the legal department for their approval.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

All memos must be reviewed by the Political Correctness Committee before publication.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++