WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kiteskimo View Post
    Woooh! I'm also planning a 2011 thru-hike. Hopefully going in march, but I'll be a senior in high school and I don't know how much I'll be allowed to miss. Who cares though.Life is short...you have to live. I don't think I'll be able to stand being inside a concrete box anymore beyond that point. Still have to get a lot of gear and earn some cash...
    I have been advised that a thru hike can cost between $2000 and $5000 depending on how much gear you have to buy, so earning some cash will be a serious challenge. You might consider a Rayway quilt kit instead of a sleeping bag - I don't have one yet though have a couple rave positive reviews from someone I trust. The quilt kit is a third what a bag costs (but you've got to have a sewing machine...)

I applaud your enthusiasm and won't throw cold water on it but please carefully consider that "Who cares though" when talking about missing the last 2+ months of your Senior year in HS. I'm doing the Cool Breeze flip-flop and will set out in late May '11 SOBO from the AT Train Station at Pawling. If you did something like that, you would still be doing a continuous thru hike, be on the trail at a good time of the year, and (importantly) not goob up your HS graduation.

I am hoping to thru in 2011. I am working two jobs now to pay off some things so that I can hike without worries. Also planning a 5 day hike the end of August to try out some new gear and start getting back out there!

Hey all, I might not come through on it but I am hoping very much to give the ole AT a try in 2011! Going to need a lot of things to align just right between now and the end of 2010 but if I can get the money to buy gear and to use on the trail I'm going to do it if nothing else stands in the way!

Never really backpacked in my life but my parents used to take me on camping trips (although it was full hook up in a pop up camper in a private campground, so doesn't count so much) but once I can get the money to buy some gear I'm going to start spending some nights hiking in my own neck of the woods (live in Las Vegas, have some wilderness areas within 20 miles of town).

We'll see, hopefully I won't have to wait until 2012 to take on the AT!

Images

Welcome sickgoku and cbost2678!

There are lots of good people on here with a lot of helpful information. LOok forward to seeing you in 2011 on the AT!
    UKFlatfoot
    UKFlatfoot
    http://blog.hikethetrails.net
    Hike YOUR Hike

Look foward to it, but more than likely I'm going to need a good football season here in Vegas to make it Otherwise I might have to rob someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim '11 View Post
    I really encourage you to check out Nocona's trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=662) and look up her posts on Whiteblaze. She did a thru hike without a planned partner and did just fine. She's a neat lady and has been a big help to me!
    BTW - I'll be starting a flip flop late May 2011 in Pawling NY, and I'm looking for partners along the way. If anyone's interested, please drop me a PM.

Default Planning my 2011 Hike

I am so excited for '11. I recently decided I am going to walk away from my job and hit the trail. I think I just need a new direction in my life and being on the trail will give me the opportunity to decide what I want for the next half of my life. My daughter is turning 18 soon and after that I have no one to be responsible for. She is thinking about going with me but I don't think this is really her cup of tea. If she does not go with, I am going by myself. I just know that if I do not go I will regret it and think about it for the rest of my life. It is going to be a long year and a half.

Journal Entries

2011 Still Looks good for me. Will be be retiring towards the end of 2010 and am planning for a SOBO journey.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsb View Post
    2011 Still Looks good for me. Will be be retiring towards the end of 2010 and am planning for a SOBO journey.

Hope my hubby and I see you! We're going SOBO also, not sure if I can go all the way or just a long section. Depends on work and other factors.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Maybe I'll see you 2011 SOBO folks along the way south of Troutville! I'll be starting about the same time you do, just in a different spot.

im in for 2011 as well, going to be nobo and starting around april first, most likley bringing a freind for a few weeks into the hike as well...

seems theres 2 class of 2011 threads, which of these will be the official one?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=42116&page=7

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    im in for 2011 as well, going to be nobo and starting around april first, most likley bringing a freind for a few weeks into the hike as well...
    I'm starting April 1st, 2011. Looking forward to it!

seems theres 2 class of 2011 threads, which of these will be the official one?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=42116&page=7
    My bet would be on the one Mountainsquid starts.

will look forward to bumping into ya on the trail then Fritz

I am also planning a thru in 2011. I see from the post that Florida hikers will be well represented. I live in Tarpon Springs, Fl. and am a member of the FTA. The last hurdle I face is transportation to Springer. Girls do well on the trail and provide a much needed civilizing influence.

Images

Anybody SOBO starting around May? I'm going to kennebunkport next spring to have a look around up there and do some hiking. Anybody have any intrest? What other dates are any of you SOBO's starting?

Images

Not hiking in kennebunkport obviously.........

2011 or 2011 Te Araroa Thru Hike Possibly

I'm just thinking at this stage, and haven't really planned anything but if all goes well and I've saved enough by 2011 when I graduate high school a kiwi may be hitting the trail

Journal Entries

I'm so glad to see that i'm not the only one looking forward to 2011.. i realized that i can't realistically get ready in time for the class of 2010, but am planning to thru hike in 2011.... i want to do a Sobo route, but am concerned that i'll be alone too often, i may end up going north with everyone else....

Tigger

only 465ish more days to go!!

Images

Oooo Me! Me! I'm planning mine for March 12, 2011 NOBO!!! So excited!

473 days and counting!!!
    "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++