WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Peter Pan's and Smee's Underquilt

This is the week the UQ is supposed to show up on my stoop..
    If any are interested in their product I will do a full up review and post pics here at Whiteblaze....so let me know if you want/need the info.
    MedicineMan

Yes - please post the review and pics here

Images

I cant wait to try out Peter Pan's No Sniveling Quilt. I think it will be a winner.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Registered Arkie - Ouachita Trail maintainer
    Images

Default re: underquilt review

Yes, please do post a review. Very interested to hear about this!

Images

Default Looks like Sgt.Rock is awaiting too...

I dont think I can give the report like he can but I will do my best!
    If mine shipped Monday it should be here by Wednesday--fingers crossed...

looking forward to the report. i'm not sure i like being cold - so hurry along and make my day. when can we expect to be able to order from you?

Images

Default Underquilt

I would like to see the underquilt also. Do you have any info on the weight? Sorry if I missed that elsewhere.
    Walkin Wally

Images

Default Shipped Monday soooooooooooooo..............

Should be here tomorow (Wednesday) if so you can expect details posted on Thursday night...digital weight, length, width, color, threadcount of stitches, material weight, etc....also pics deployed onto a Backpacker A-sym.
    I think strongly the underquilt will work with the Extreme Light Racer as well.

If you all have been following this thread and the threads at the hammockcamping newsgroup at Yahoo you know that several of us were ripped off by a WhiteKnight who was also (supposedly)making underquilts for sale.....I would be very surprised to see one show up from him...regardless, if this is successful then PeterPan and Smee will have quite a cottage industry on their hands...my hopes are high. Its not that I dont have a cold weather option-the WM Ponderosa/CCC worked beyond my coldest expectations. The Taco combinations I used for many hikes also work well in many applications and I can see deploying the down underquilt of PeterPan/Smee between the sil-nyl Taco and the hammock body....its just nice to have options and I think the underquilt will provide just that many more.

For those following the review of the carbon poles, I will post pics of the tips/grips Thursday night as well.

MedicineMan

Journal Entries
    Images

We all await your findings MedicineMan. What you say can make or break the Peter Pan and Smee industries. But if you don't tell the truth we will break you. LOL
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

Default Mines already here!

got my Underquilt yesterday. Of course, I can't use it yet because I have a sprained ankle...but it looks great...very fluffy, looks like good workmanship...excellent choice color.
    Will let y'all know what I think once I use it...maybe this weekend.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Images

Default maybe i missed the specs...

What does this down and also the synthetic Underquilt weigh?

Images

Default PeterPan/Smee HH UQ recieved...mini test results,Pics Posted

Before I say anything else note that this UQ is professional grade, all seems, stitching are top notch. The material used is quite appropriate for backcountry/hiking/AT use being a lightweight ripstop nylon- it is not syl-nyl and should'nt be for condensatios effect...without knowing exactly I would guess 1.2oz weight, not quite an extrmemlight fabric like WM uses in their lighest bags but darn close.
    The outer UQ is a Mountain Laural Green and the inner lining is black, idea for turning over in the sun and drying out.
    The attachment points are geared toward the A-sym HH's, it will work equally well with the Extreme Light Racer or the Backpacker A-sym...others I'm sure as well but those are the two I placed it on.
    This UQ is rectangular shaped and approximates the shape of the HH via its attachment points (placed exactly where the pullouts are on the HH), and via the shock cord/mini-carabiners that go from the UQ to the hammock guyline.
    Also, there is a circumferencial (I made that word up I think) shock cord in the head end of the UQ (note in one pic I posted it is not cinched tightly to show you both outer and inner fabric--do cinch this to alleviate a cold wave!). And there is a mechanism for doing the same on the foot end though not shock cord, rather thin webbing approaching grosgrain.
    This UQ has a matching slit, matching the slit in the HH-either Racer or Backpacker...it will velcro to itself (nice when using the UQ as a regular quilt while on the couch watching THE BRAVES), or it will mate with the velcro of the HH's slit.
    Now what you've been waiting for:
    weight: 20 ounces exactly including the stuff bag
    stuff bag: worth purchasing alone because this is no ordinary stuff bag...it has I hope a patented closure system..quite like a paddler's dry bag in the velcro and then roll down while you push air out manuver but unique because of a triangular fabric manipulation that allows you to pass the cinch strap securely under/around the bag...nicest stuff bag I have ever seen.
    Also included--bungees/mini-carabiners weight 1oz...used to attach the UQ to the guylines of the HH.
    Deployment: simple, quick, efficient...remember to cinch down the head end.

Mini-test: me, naked except for a pair of nylon shorts
    Extreme Light Racer
    SmeePan UQ
    Location: Ripshin Lake (2.5 miles from Hughes Gap on AT) elavation 3600F
    Temp 38.6 degrees (too warm I know but what can you do, yesterday morning we had 3 inches of snow), no wind at all and on a sheltered deck.
    Time in hammock: almost 1 hour
    Rectangular dimensions: approx 78x45 inches

Impressions while in hammock......: again too warm for a real test but in a nut shell this is sweet sweet sweet- but not instantly so,,,at first all was good but a cold spot found under my back ribs, exited and noticed that I had not cinched down the head end! and i had stretched the UQ too tightly longitudinally...2 quick adjustments and then back in...sweet sweet sweet.
    How low can it go? a question I cant answer at this time but ...

Enough for now. An excellent product no doubt and geared for HHers.

MedicineMan

p.s. any questions, need more pics, dont hesitate to ask

And forgot to mention I was using a WM Megalite for a topquilt...forgot and left the Alpinist in town, Megalite makes a good quilt nontheless.

Images

I just got home and my prototype "No Sniveling" quilt was here. It lofts very well and is pretty much exactly like I pictured it. I need to fininsh cleaning my gear and go try it out. Hopefully the Trail Days trip works out and I can show it off up there.

Thanks!
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Sleep System Weights:

UQ/stuffsack 21oz.
    Arc Alpinist 20oz
    HH Light Racer 20oz.
    MacCat Tarp 12oz.
    73oz total=4.5lb

Found my old Equinox sil-nyl tarp that could save 6oz but def. want to put the MacCat to work in the real world...

The above system is approx 1lb lighter than the winter system with the Ponderosa/CrazyCreekCrib but I think the Arc Alpinist will be drastic overkill in the Summer, therefore I have placed a deposit on an Arc Edge and will report on that if any are interested here....it should arrive sometime in June.

Also have 20 AT miles on a pair of Vasque Breeze, the last 10 were root/rock and all downhill....so far so good, will take them on the 56m trip from Bearwallow to BuenaVista, if they pass that test they will supplant the venerable LL Bean Cresta.............

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default Weight

NCMTS,

Missed your question. The info is in other posts and and in MedicineMan's review. The short answer is it weighs 19 oz and the compression sack adds 1 oz.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default To MedicineMan

MedicineMan,

The HH UQ that you reported on in April, what loft thickness was it?

Thanks,
    Randy

Images

Default I'll let PeterPan and Smee respond

I cant remember the measurement exactly....roughly 2in but know you can vary the amount of down in any one spot by shaking the UQ...I learned this, or should say applied this on last weeks hike.
    I will measure tomorow afternoon (Sunday) to get a value for you if PeterPan has not replied by then. Would do it today when I wake up but am taking the wee one one a little walk and then dinner.
    I'm thinking though that after a good shake of the UQ when suspended getting all the down toward the centre you might even get 3 inches under your bottom/kidneys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sedohr
    MedicineMan,

The HH UQ that you reported on in April, what loft thickness was it?

Thanks,
    Randy
    The thickness is 1.5" . That is, it is baffled to 1.5 " every 7.75 ". The down can be shaken down as Medicine Man notes. this can be made to approximate 3" on the bottom with 1.5 on the low sides and virtually none on the side seams. We have used these nests into the high 20s. low mid 30s is quite comfortable. Hope this helps.

Web site coming soon. We are currently 5-6 weeks of backlog, and growing...
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Question

Thanks for the info.

I seem to remember in another thread where PeterPan was giving weights based on fill/loft. Not sure if that means the UQ can be ordered with a custom fill weight or not. And is the price $175 or $199?

I see from other posts that the quilt will fit any of the HH's due to the elastic shock cords being used. I'm wondering if any of the HH Explorer users have any comments to the effectiveness of the quilt, given the increased length of the hammock?

I know we can make the quilt fit but, how if the performance for us taller hiker's?

Thanks,
    Randy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sedohr
    Thanks for the info.

I seem to remember in another thread where PeterPan was giving weights based on fill/loft. Not sure if that means the UQ can be ordered with a custom fill weight or not. And is the price $175 or $199?

I see from other posts that the quilt will fit any of the HH's due to the elastic shock cords being used. I'm wondering if any of the HH Explorer users have any comments to the effectiveness of the quilt, given the increased length of the hammock?

I know we can make the quilt fit but, how if the performance for us taller hiker's?

Thanks,
    Randy
    The price of the Nest is $199. The introductory Trail Days special was 175.

The issue of fit goes to matching a hammocks design.

The size of the Nest is basically 78x48. Given the angle of ly in a HH that make an effective length of the Nest 80 inches. This wraps up well passed the top of the head and bottom of the heels for 6 footers. Those up to 6'4" are well wrapped. Those taller will have effective insulation under them up to 6'6". Taller still. Use a pillow (clothers bag) or leave a jacket/shirt loose under and beyound the head area.

Custom fill is available...send personal message if interested.
    ounces to grams

++ New Posts ++