WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default what kind of knife?

What kind of knife would you take on a thru-hike? Sierra has good deals on vicorinox swiss army knives now, but I don't know which one to choose. Any input will be welcome.

thank you,
    t.

Images

I carry a super small, super light Buck knife, cannot remember the name, it is .7 oz and does all that I need, also carry a very small/light knife sharpener. Have lots of knives at home, in quest to shave weight this was an area that I could save, has worked great for me!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    What kind of knife would you take on a thru-hike? Sierra has good deals on vicorinox swiss army knives now, but I don't know which one to choose. Any input will be welcome.

thank you,
    t.
    If you're looking at a Swiss Army knife, pick one that has the tools you need on it. Almost no one needs the mondo, 250 different fuctions option. Most folks are good to go with a good sharp blade, but some things will make life a little easier like scissors (especially for triming moleskin), bottle opener, screwdriver and an awl. Just get the model that works for you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

A Leatherman Micra and a small fixed blade knife, maybe a neck knife.

Images

I carry one of those red Swiss army knife. Get something around 4 ounces or less in weight.

Panzer

Lately I have used the tiniest Swiss Army Knife. I am satsified with its function but keep misplacing the little thing. Its something to consider.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have one about as big as a pair of nail clippers that I paid a dollar for it has a plastic handle I have no clue of the weight but it weighs nothing I have the Leatherman Micra.............a neat tool but to many not needed gadgets IMO.

And I think I paid 35.00 for mine if you decide thats what you want to go with send me a message I will cut you a deal on it I never use it.
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Don't consider any folding knife that doesn't have a lockiing blade, sooner or later you'll attempt to use it as an awl and it'll fold up on your fingers.

Images

Check out this one, a classic with integrated whistle.

All I ever carry on the trail is the Swiss Army Classic by Victorinox. It does everything I need, including cutting up aluminum cans to make alcohol stoves.

About all you ever need a knife for on the trail is cutting line, opening bags, trimming nails, removing thorns and splinters and maybe cutting the rare vegetable. The Classic also has a toothpick and tweezers.

Images

Steep and cheap has one right now for around 25.00. I don't remember the exact price. It looks like a handy one.

Images

I carry the tiniest one. Small sharp blade, nail file blade, scissors, toothpick, tweezers. Has a loop on one end so I keep it tied to the outside of my pack.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Of the SAK knives, here's the one I'd pick:
    http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...&product=53652&
    Blade big enough to slice bagels and spread peanut butter, can opener, bottle opener (for the non-canned beer crowd), and corkscrew, for the non- beer crowd.
    The awl will come in handy for putting new holes in your belt to accomodate your shrinking waistline. Except for the weight - perfect. I have an old SAK which the plastic side plates broke off of - single blade knife is now ultralight .
    Oh, yes, for others who may be as clumsy as myself, the Picnicker has a locking blade. Yes, I have closed the blade on my fingers. In the dark it's very easy to do.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I carried this for years on short hikes and winter trips, but it is ultimately too heavy and bulky for anything like LD hiking.

I then switched to this Tinker around 95 - It was a gift from a cousin in Germany. I really liked it but Airport security confiscated it in 2002 (my fault, though it got through security, but I was targeted at the gate for a full body search.).

I replaced it with this Explorer and it has become my absolute favorite to carry both hiking and everyday.

P.S. For winter snowshoeing and backcountry skiing, I usually carry this Swisstool RS, which my boss gave me as a gift about 8-9 years ago. It can't be beat for repairs on bindings and such, though it is heavy at 1/2 lb.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post

thank you,
    t.
    The Tinker is a classic. As was the Spartan.

Consider going to the hunting section of Walmart and looking at them. Some might feel better in your hand than others. Don't need the fancy ones, but the steel is better in the Victorinox brand than the knockoffs. My opinion.

I carried the little swiss army knife, the one with the scissors, the pen, and little led ight..... It is really all I ever needed..

Swiss Army Classic. It weighs less than an ounce, and it is very sharp. It is next to useless for whittling, "self-defense", or for cutting firewood, but it will nicely undertake all the minor cutting jobs that are needed while hiking....things like cutting open food packages, cords, or duck-tape.

IMO, leave the "Rambo-knife" at home as there just are not enough uses for it to justify its weight...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Don't consider any folding knife that doesn't have a lockiing blade, sooner or later you'll attempt to use it as an awl and it'll fold up on your fingers.
    Good advice. I've got the scars to prove it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Swiss makes a small one with nail clippers. One less piece of gear to carry.

Images

its a good question and thread ,but if you want to see more just type knife up in the search box and look for threads
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++