WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default That "eww" gift you might get..........

Every year we get a box of food from Swiss Colony from friends for Christmas. Usually it's a collection of food that we look at and say "ewww" and try to get rid of. This year the box had some things in it we'd actually eat! Among them is a box of small sausages - the little sizes that would be perfect for us to carry on the trail. This stuff pretty much has a half-life and is not going to spoil between now and summer. There were also some hard candies, nuts, and chocolates that would last for months. So if you get one of these gift boxes put the food aside for furture hikes!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Speaking of Ewww...CHEESEBALLS!!! I hate those things...

I like sending(and receiving) some fruit like pears from Harry and David(with some chocolate moose munch too), or something special or different. We haven't had time to bake and send out homemade stuff the past few years, but that was always a favorite at either end as well. Most gift stuff that's sealed keeps well and makes good gorp or snacks--they start making the stuff in July for Holiday delivery!
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 12-21-2008 at 19:49.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

What about fruit cake? Even the hungriest hikers won't try to yogi it from you.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Yeah, there was a small biscotti sized fruit cake in the box - that will go away and we'll just pretend we never saw that...........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Speaking of Ewww...CHEESEBALLS!!! I hate those things...

I like sending(and receiving) some fruit like pears from Harry and David(with some chocolate moose munch too), or something special or different. We haven't had time to bake and send out homemade stuff the past few years, but that was always a favorite at either end as well.
    I make world class fudge that I give away.........some with walnuts, some without.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I make world class fudge that I give away.........some with walnuts, some without.
    I'd like one of each please.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Mmmmm. Fudge

In the middle of the kitchen table sits gift foods for this year we've just received over the past week: Apples, pears, apple pie, chocolate chip pecan cookies, 3 different flavors of moose munch(popcornwith choc or toffee coating), fudge, some Godiva, Balis, and Ghirardelli chocolates, mostly truffles...

Mmmm truffles...and fudge.

I'm gonna be fat by Christmas.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thumbs up Claxton Fruit Cake

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/prod...category_id=13

Recommended to many hikers my age by the late Ed Garvey (The one they named the shelter after).
    I bought some on a road trip to Florida to visit my sister a few years ago. They are actually quite good.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

What makes it world class? And if its that good, why arent you marketing it?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I'm gettin hungry reading this thread. Especially after being up all night watching football. (back in Thailand as of yesterday)
    I certainly won't complain about the Kai Tum my wife is making me for breakfast.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    What makes it world class? And if its that good, why arent you marketing it?
    ' Cause I have no idea how to market anything. I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad. My fudge is made with marshmallow cream but I don't follow the recipe on the jar exactly........I have my own way to do things............

Images

' Cause I have no idea how to market anything. I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad. My fudge is made with marshmallow cream but I don't follow the recipe on the jar exactly........I have my own way to do things............
    I think you should send some fudge to the WB mod team. You know-for testing purposes.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I think you should send some fudge to the WB mod team. You know-for testing purposes.
    Gimme the address sweetheart................

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

One of the few recipes I neglected to get from my mom before she passed was her fudge recipe. It used Hippolyte (marshmallow cream) and was NEVER gritty or grainy. Any fudge I have made has had that graininess I don't like.

Other missing recipes: her Harvard Beets and Stewed Tomatoes.

Happy Christmahannukwaanzaka to all!

Frau

I make fudge for winter trips - I have a number of recipes I choose from. All are tast-y!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad.
    Thats subjective...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I love fruitcake! Send me yours!

Default gifts of food

I make the world's best potato salad, warm or cold, in the area of twenty pounds a week. Depending on how much of a purist you are in the area of fudge, a non grainy, smooth as silk fudge can be made with (please don't yell at me) Velvetta. Two pounds Velvetta, pound of butter, pound of powdered sugar, cup of coccoa, two tablespoons vanilla. Something like that. The food gift that I hate getting, any kind of nuts, I'm not supposed to eat them anymore. And I love peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, you get the idea. Merry Christmas WB people.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Every year we get a box of food from Swiss Colony from friends for Christmas. Usually it's a collection of food that we look at and say "ewww" and try to get rid of. This year the box had some things in it we'd actually eat! Among them is a box of small sausages - the little sizes that would be perfect for us to carry on the trail. This stuff pretty much has a half-life and is not going to spoil between now and summer. There were also some hard candies, nuts, and chocolates that would last for months. So if you get one of these gift boxes put the food aside for furture hikes!
    i hope you meant to say "shelf-life" and in no way are implying this stuff is radioactive - hope you enjoy the small sausages.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got a snowman full of these sweet treats and a Omaha steak order from my sister and my parents. Nothing for the trail this year....

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++