WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT-Journal

Images

Default AT-Journal

I was wondering what past and present thru-hikers have used for journals on the trail. Notebook? Big ones, small ones?
    Also, what seems to be the writing utensil of choice? Pencil? Pen? Marker? Paint Brush?

back in the day they used small notebooks and a pen. hardly anyone hand writes a journal any more

back in the day they used small notebooks and a pen. hardly anyone hand writes a journal any more. today most of them get to town and hog a computer at the library for online journals

Images

Paintbrush...ha ha

You use whatever you are comfortable with - that's what!

Though I'm only a sectioner, I've never once written a journal. The memories and some pictures were the most important.

Have fun !

Images

An elegant solution for a handwritten journal are the field notebooks and a space pen:

http://www.rei.com/product/608507

http://www.rei.com/product/701171

I used both of these on the JMT and in Glacier this past summer. The pen is incredibly tiny and will not freeze, etc.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    An elegant solution for a handwritten journal are the field notebooks and a space pen:

http://www.rei.com/product/608507

http://www.rei.com/product/701171

I used both of these on the JMT and in Glacier this past summer. The pen is incredibly tiny and will not freeze, etc.
    Thanks marta i was wondering the same thing
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

Moleskine Journals. Different sizes ... ruled, blsmk or grids.

Images

blank

Garlic
    Images

A small spiral notebook and a pen, with some stamped envelopes to mail the pages home or to a transcriber for an on-line journal. When the crowds thinned out farther north, public computers were more available and I'd toss the pages after entering them. I enjoyed mentally composing journal entries as I hiked, then writing them down the old-fashioned way at the end of the day.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A small spiral notebook and a pen, with some stamped envelopes to mail the pages home or to a transcriber for an on-line journal. When the crowds thinned out farther north, public computers were more available and I'd toss the pages after entering them. I enjoyed mentally composing journal entries as I hiked, then writing them down the old-fashioned way at the end of the day.
    Yes there is some bit of romance to thinking about scrying down your days memories both high and low pointswith a worn beaten note pad on a brisk and dimming evening, as the stove hums,boiling water away, with the rain plinking at the ripstop ceilings of tents and hammocks, as your comrads are laughing and discussing the next days exploits. would take some of the romance away if you was typing away at a pda with a roll out keyboard introducing technology back into your life after going so far to get away from it (maybe thats not your REASON for going) but its kind of like checking and making sure your hotel has highspeed internet when you go on your honeymoon, aye its nice but...is that why you are there?.
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

Pocketmail in 05, PDA in 08... probably paper and computer next time...

Notebook and pen/pencile is the traditional way. (If you use a pen, make sure it has waterproof ink). Last year I used a PDA with Wi-Fi and SD slot, which allowed me to upload my journal and photos to trailjournals anytime I found an open wi-fi network in town, which wasn't hard to do in most places. No more standing in line waiting for a public computer to update the journal and check my email, etc.

Lots of hikers are using smart phones such as Blackberries, Qphones and the like, but you need data service for internet access, which can add to the expense.

Unless you go naked into the woods, your bringing technology with you. Now that computers can fit into the palm of your hand and weigh a few ounces, why not bring one along?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Get a small notebook, and use a pen. Pencil might rub off or "fade". Ink may run a bit if it gets wet (keep the notebook in a ziplock), but it's still a better bet. I found my pen in the middle of the trail in GA, it worked for me the whole trail!

The reason I have against blackberries and such goes like this: a pen and paper is nearly failsafe. Complex technology and nature don't mix well; there's more that can go wrong. Plus it costs much more money for those monthly plans, and you have to worry about charging it and stuff. As far as I'm concerned, simpler is better. That's why I'm out in the woods, to get in touch with things I'm away from in "regular" life. Worrying about my cellphone would get in the way of that. Paper requires no worry.

And I'd say a journal is a great thing to have. unless your memory is phenomenally good, no matter what you think you WILL forget things. A journal helps you preserve those; at the very least acting like a rough framework to help jog your memory. I've already used mine for that, and I've did my thru hike THIS year. I'm only 25. Imagine how much a help this will be to me when I'm 20 years out from my thru, getting older and forgetting distant memories...

Images

I just used a small notebook. I was really into the first week and then I kinda slacked off. I wish I wouldnt have. It would be nice to really reminisce.

Images

I don't keep a journal, but if I did I would use a surveyors field book.

I just use plain copy/printer paper. I carry about 10 pages at a time in a ziplock bag. At times I've cut the edges down so it fits a quart size bag better. I keep more in a bounce box or ask at a motel or something for a few pages of plain paper. I used to mail my journal to my mother, so she could follow my adventures, but now that she's gone I just mail it home.

I really enjoy keeping a journal when I'm traveling. A lot of details get lost on a long hike. So much is happening - a lot is forgotten if I don't write it down. It is a lot of fun to read the journal later and remember all those little pieces that get lost in the mass of memories. One idea that works for me - don't just write at the end of the day. When you're tired, you'll forget most of what happened durign the day. All you'll be thinking about is how tired, sore and hungry you are. If you write at noon or at mid-afternoon rest breaks, you'll include a lot more morning memories and have a lot more positive thoughts and feelings than you do if you only write when you're exhausted.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For all my hikes (but the CDT), I used a pen and paper. TJ was nice enough to transcribe both my AT and PCT journals (and decipher my handwriting!) For the Colorado Trail, I simply transcribed the entries post-trail. I keep a journal (more or less) of my weekend journeys a well, but I simply transcribe the entries when I am at the Salt Mine.

On the CDT, I was writing articles for a local paper. So I had to get the articles in faster than snail mail. I ended up using a Pocket Mail.

Unless I am writing articles again, I suspect I will again use pen and paper. I honestly enjoy writing (if you can't tell from my post count!) about the outdoors. So, a journal is standard for me on all my journeys.

The simplicity of the pen and paper appeals to me. Then again, if you talk to ex-girlfriends, I am probably a simpleton anyway.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Yes, there is a lot to be said about the simplicity and reliability of paper and pencil. I have very poor penmanship and sometimes can't read my own writting, so using a high tech gaget which I can type into has been a big help and the other things it can do has been handy. Like any gear choice, its up to you to decide what is the best way for you to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    I'm only 25. Imagine how much a help this will be to me when I'm 20 years out from my thru, getting older and forgetting distant memories...
    So you're saying 45 is old and feeble? Just kidding!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Like any gear choice, its up to you to decide what is the best way for you to go.

That about sums up most of the discussions on this board.

Ultimately it is about the journey. Everything else are just the fine details...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++