WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I want to try hiking using a pair of crocs, chacos has been a nice companion for me along with a pair of Tevas sandals...i've heard a lot of negative reviews about the crocs when used in hiking so a pair of tevas and/or chacos will do...
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart!
    Certified trail fanatic and chaco user

Default Crocs

Be careful as I just broke my ankle wearing my crocus to get water at the shelter

I use these...
    http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Ugly, but they're super light, great for crossing streams, and let my feet dry out while providing protection to my soles in camp.
    Last edited by Ender; 04-28-2010 at 11:20. Reason: typo
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Dollar store flip-flops.
    yep, add a string at the ankle end and they won't fall off and float up.

bad example

but you get the idea.

or

I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

[QUOTE=kayak karl;1005817]yep, add a string at the ankle end and they won't fall off and float up.

bad example

but you get the idea.

Hooch has pretty feet.

How about these?
    http://www.creationnepal.com/details.php?image_id=809

I am with the no camp shoes group. They're not really needed on a long distance hike when you are just setting up your tent and going to sleep, then waking up and hiking immediately.

I do think Crocs are nice for trails with a lot of creek crossings. But not for the PCT/JMT where the whole trail is basically a creek of melting snow. It's not practical to change your shoes.

I'm going to bring some Crocs next weekend on a hiking trip where I have to cross the creek over and over. Once we get to the part of the trail where you're just crossing the creek every few minutes, my Crocs will be my hiking shoes and my trail shoes will be my camp shoes.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

AT 2012

think about neoprene crock liners from the underwear guys... under three ounces. i just wear them when my trail runners are wet -- or when making a midnight bathroom run -- then they're perfect since they keep your socks dry when the ground is wet. no real foot protection, but fine just in camp.
    Lazarus

Default Tyvek booties

Not really shoes but really a really lightweight waterproof option are Tyvek booties.. you can buy them for a couple of $ from usplastics.com

I use them over my socks to get out of my tent at night when nature calls.. also useful for ankle-height streamcrossings if you don't want to take your boots off..

Quote Originally Posted by billreyn1 View Post
    Be careful as I just broke my ankle wearing my crocus to get water at the shelter
    The crocus is a very fragile flower. I would not recommend walking in (nor on) them.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    yep, add a string at the ankle end and they won't fall off and float up.

but you get the idea.
    or
    Ahh, yeah. I have been intrigued by these, they are not manufactured but must be made by the owner. I think they are called something like the "barefoot shoe." Barefoot is right. You had better have hooves for feet or hike on a manicured lawn. If I make them as I may, I will use them for town use when I would rather be barefoot, but cannot due to businesses, etc. In the wild, even a "wild" like my front lawn it is an invitation to carry a suture setup, or maybe a road map to the local ER.

I love Teva sandals, but have always thought they would be too heavy for just camp wear. I cannot afford Chacos. I do hear rugged foot people hike in them. Presumably they do not hike in my part of New England.

Images

I've been using the same pair of Dollar General crock knockoffs for about 5 or 6 years now, maybe more. They are cheaper, lighter, and more comfortable than the real crocks. I take them hiking as my camp shoes and wear them virtually every day around the house. I have them on now. They have held up extremely well. I just weighed one of mine, 4.1 oz.

I find the knobby inside sole of the actual Crocks to be very uncomfortable on tired achy feet at the end of the day unless I keep socks on. The Dollar General knockoffs do not have these nubs, so are comfortable with or without socks.

Images

All real hikers bring crocks...next subject....
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I have some 10 year old crocs from when I dated a nurse... the kind without holes - I wore them as camp shoes on my last hike; very warm in last week's 20 degree temps around camp, but slippery with no tread.

I like getting out of my boots after a day of hiking. Worth the weight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    All real hikers bring crocks...next subject....
    That would make me the unreal clueless Geezer weekender Nobody Hiker.
    And proud of my accomplishments.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks for bringing up this old thread.

I just checked out the Tyvek booties on usplastics.com

$1.61

Very cool. I can think of so many uses for these.

Carl

I'm a big fan of my Vivobarefoot Ultra II water shoes. A bit pricier than crocs, but you can find good prices if patient.

Journal Entries
    Images

What is the purpose of camp shoes? Mostly to air your feet out.

Short answer: You don't need camp shoes to air your feet out because there are other ways to do that. Dozens of ways.

I talked to the outgoing President and he assured me that if you like your Crocs, you can keep your Crocs.

The rest of you can go barefoot, keep your trail runners on, show off your shower shoes, or hire a guide to cook for you, get your water, massage your feet, and read you stories until you fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    I am a newbie, going NOBO in March.

Just weighed my crocs on my digital postal scale. 6.4 ozs. EACH!

Is there an alternative to these and are camp shoes needed in your opinions?

Thanks Josh

I tend to go barefoot, even when crossing large creeks, but then I also don't hike in areas that see heavy usage...and thus not likely to step on anything that would cause injury. I only do this because I haven't found a pair of water shoes I like...I would love a pair of those old jelly shoes I we loved as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I have some 10 year old crocs from when I dated a nurse... the kind without holes - I wore them as camp shoes on my last hike; very warm in last week's 20 degree temps around camp, but slippery with no tread.

I like getting out of my boots after a day of hiking. Worth the weight for me.
    A nurse without holes?

I sometimes bring Xero shoes with me as a camp shoe. They are pretty light and comfortable and can also be worn to cross creeks.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++