WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Cup

Images

Default Titanium Cup

I got a Snow Peak Double-Wall Titanium Cup 450 from my daughter as a Christmas gift. The warning label reads -

"Do not place the product directly on a flame. It may cause deformation and discoloration. The pressure inside the double-wall structure will build up which may result in the product bursting."

Does this mean I cannot use the cup to heat up hot water on my MSR Pocket Rocket? Is all Titanium cookware double walled and is it possible for it to burst (or explode?)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Images

Not all titanium is double wall. No double wall can be used for cooking for the same reason, it's meant to insulate and keep your beverage hot.

Images

most titanium cups are single wall and can be placed on a flame. But I heard that the double wall cups cannot be placed on a flame, meaning you cannot heat up water in this cup. However you can use your pot to heat up the water and then pour the hot water from pot into cup. The double wall will keep the water hot longer. This would be very useful when it is cold out.

Panzer

Images

DO NOT PUT A DOUBLE WALL MUG ON A FLAME. It can blow up the mug. The double wall is meant to insulate a warm beverage and keep it warm longer.

In my personal opinion, a single-wall mug is more versatile. I carry a homemade cozy to keep my drink warm, but I can put the mug on the stove.

Snow Peak makes a 450ml single-wall mug. But, I think the 600ml or 700ml is more useful.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I don't know if you would want to place any mug on a flame because if you did, i'm guessing it could burn your lips when you tried to drink from it.

Panzer

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheKO View Post
    I got a Snow Peak Double-Wall Titanium Cup 450 from my daughter as a Christmas gift. The warning label reads -

"Do not place the product directly on a flame. It may cause deformation and discoloration. The pressure inside the double-wall structure will build up which may result in the product bursting."

Does this mean I cannot use the cup to heat up hot water on my MSR Pocket Rocket? Is all Titanium cookware double walled and is it possible for it to burst (or explode?)

I would thank your daughter for her thoughtful gift, but also heed the warnings of the manufacturer, both because the company doesn't want its customers hurt nor its product damaged, and because its argument makes logical sense. It doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to issue false warnings, or warnings based on speculation. Besides heating stuff in an insulated cup wastes fuel.

Weary

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    the company doesn't want its customers hurt
    More likely the company wants to head off any lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Besides heating stuff in an insulated cup wastes fuel.
    Straight to the heart of the matter, along with drinking hot liquids from a metal cup. Sometimes the most logical is the most overlooked.
    Frosty

Images

Heed the warning. A double-walled cup has a sealed airspace or vacuum between the layers. Putting it over a stove will, at the very lease, destroy the seal. It would be something like putting a stainless steel thermos on a stove in order to heat up the contents--not effective for heating the contents, and will damage or destroy the thermos.

Most titanium cups and cookware are NOT double-walled, and are fine to cook in.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I got a Evernew Titanium double wall cup for Christmas. I made tea this morning and the cup seems to insulate very well. After pouring boiling water in the cup the outside of the cup gets warm but not hot. it has insulated handles for holding in the winter. They also warn not to heat on a stove. Their warning says:

NOT FOR COOKING! NEVER use double wall mugs over an open flame!!!
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/prodd...=ECA354&cat=99

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I don't know if you would want to place any mug on a flame because if you did, i'm guessing it could burn your lips when you tried to drink from it.

Panzer
    Sierra Cups with a wire around the brim won't burn your lips (unless you take them directly off the heat source and immediatly try to drink from them.

I have serious doubts that a double walled cup will keep your beverages hot or cold for that much longer than single walled ones. The space between the walls is not filled with an insulation - it's just a dead air space. Plus, since heat always rises - unless you have a cover on the cup more heat will rise from the surface of the liquid than could pass through the wall(s).
    As usually is the case, someone did a quantitative experiment with a thermometer involving the freezer in his home. His conclusion is where I got my opinion above. That, plus personal experience. I'd rather have a cozy. Find something NOT made of aluminum and fashion (or modify) a cozy for it, or use a double walled plastic cup with a cover.
    The reason I say NOT made of aluminum is I tried using a shorty soda (pop) can with a foam beer cozy and a snap on plastic lid normally used for cold beverages. The lid would heat up, expand, and loosen, and if you tried drinking directly out of the can you would burn your lips.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
    Inventing can be a mother.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

but if you really want to put that on a stove, you can make 2 small holes on the exterior upper rim of the cup to release the pressure, just a suggestion, the decision is up to you
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Panzer
    Titanium has interesting heat transfer properties...it won't be a problem drinking from a cook-pot or mug unless a. the liquid comes all the way to the top or b. the flame recently touched the drinking surface. If you wait a few seconds it cools. Titanium is just weird like that.

Anyone know why?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Titanium has interesting heat transfer properties...it won't be a problem drinking from a cook-pot or mug unless a. the liquid comes all the way to the top or b. the flame recently touched the drinking surface. If you wait a few seconds it cools. Titanium is just weird like that.

Anyone know why?
    Best quick guess: Compared to other metals traditionally used for cookware, Ti has low thermal conductivity, and low mass compared to its surface area. Convection losses to the air around the metal that is not in contact with the hot water are greater than the conduction gain through the metal from the areas that are submerged in hot water.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I've put my single wall cup directly on my Pocket Rocket to reheat the contents and had no problems with it being too hot to drink from.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    More likely the company wants to head off any lawsuits.....
    Well, that too. Actually, I don't know much about titanium. My trail cup is made of plastic, holds 12 ounces, and weighs one ounce. It's also not good on a stove.

When my folks died 20+ years ago, their house contained a dozen of them. All once contained margarine. My mother, a World War II shipyard machinist, earlier and later an elementary school teacher, was an avid camper, spending 12 weeks in the White Mountains almost every summer for 50 plus years. She collected things like margarine containers that could double as free camping gear.

I shared the cups with the two siblings that still backpack. They are great for coffee, juice, or a bit of bourbon around a campfire.

Weary

Images

Default is it just me?

I got this double wall titanium mug for christmas. I've been using it all day. Now I think I can detect a faint metallic taste when I drink from it. Is that just me? I may go back to my old free plastic mug.

Panzer

Your daughter gave you a very nice gift. If you want to use the mug over a direct flame I suggest you find out where she purchased it and see if you can trade for a single wall. I use the Snow Peak 700 "single wall" mug for all my cooking over direct flame and I use it to drink from.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post

Anyone know why?

It doesn't transfer heat well perhaps retain heat, not as good as Aluminum. I finished making several alcy stoves to go straight to a Titanium mug and finally gave up because I can heat a 12 oz beer can faster and more efficiently than a small single wall Titanium handled mug. Titanium is overated and not essential for the trail. Honest, I wish I could get my money back on this one. Something about the thickness of the metal - no I cannot back up what I am posting - it just shows up in the thermometers in a side by side test.

I like Mrs Baggins thought.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I got this double wall titanium mug for christmas. I've been using it all day. Now I think I can detect a faint metallic taste when I drink from it. Is that just me? I may go back to my old free plastic mug.

Panzer
    Well....it is metal
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I joined the UL Weenie parade today with my first Ti purchase...a 700 ml single wall mug/pot from REI.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++