WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

Default BEST 0-15 degree Down sleeper

Since Mountainsmith no longer makes down sleeping bags, I am curious as to who makes the best 0 degree down sleeper? Based on the following criteria 1: weight 2: durability 3: pack-ability (compactness when packed) 4: cost and finally 5: customer satisfaction.

I prefer 0 degrees, but I'm sure there are great 15 degree sleepers too. I'd like to hear about them also.
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Thumbs up Quality Bags

Based on the key that you pay for what you get - either now or later - Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. I really like dealing with the guys at FF, but I think that WM has a wider overall selection. I am a gear junkie & a half so...I have owned 7 WM bags (Still have 5) and also still have a FF bag. I have one of your Mountainsmith bags (I've owned 3) The MS Cypher 0 degree bag lofts like mad and other than the quality control issues they had is very comparible to WM. I have also owned NorthFace, Montbell, Mountain Hardwear and Golite...I think that is all...and would swear no matter what anybody trys to tell me WM and FF are it. There are bags like Valandre and PHD that I have never tried. I am sure they are in the same realm, but of the approx. 30 bags I have owned #1 is WM and a close 2nd goes to FF...I would actually give 3rd place to Mountainsmith over Montbell. So, for what it's worth, that's my humble opinion.

Cheers!

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Check out : 'Feathered Friends', which I own and can 5 star it
    OR
    'Western Mountaineering', which, if I were going back out on the AT I would buy and use (smaller/more packability)

Images

My vote goes to the Western Mountaineering Antelope with overfill. It is listed as a 5 degree bag, but has the same loft as the Kodiak which is listed as a 0. Less then 3lbs in a long with the overfill added. I can stuff it in a 13 liter sea to summit event dry sack with a pair of Montbell down pants.

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

I'm looking at the Feathered Friends bags. Look pretty awesome and a bit cheaper than the Western Mountaineering (but I'm sure it's worth the extra).

So, what difference would I notice, besides weight and cost, is there between the Snowbunting and the Ibis from FF?
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Images

Don't take my word for it cause I don't have one YET but read the reviews and take a look at the Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #0.
    I'm in the market for a 0* or -10* and I'm pretty impressed with the Mont-Bell.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...8&p_id=1121722

I like this monster for a roomy -10* winter bag
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...2&ContentId=40
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I just purchased a Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #0. I have not slept in it yet, but jumped in it to try it out, and I like it a lot. It's well made, and extremely comfortable. I'm happy with my choice. We'll see how well it holds up on my thru-hike.

Images

I purchased a MB ULSSDH #0 ~18 months ago and really like it. It is really comfortable. I can't vouch for the truthfulness in rating yet as my low in it was 17* & my son used it at 10*. He reported that he slept warm that night.

My son purchased a WM Kodiak with mom & dad's help for Christmas, but has not had an opportunity to use it. He left it at home in Montana while he visits us in Atlanta.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Another plug for Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #0. Great bag.

Images

I decided on the MontBell Super Stretch #0 for my Feb section from Fontana to Erwin. Will let you know how it does when I get back.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I use a WM Versalite w/ overstuffing. It is awesome. I sleep "warm" and have yet to find a climate that it isn't suited for, and have been hiking most of the winter so far. I have heard the MB's ratings are a bit of a stretch. As far a FF bags I used to have one until it met it's demise ( operator error not manufacturer ) and I loved that one as well.

Images

Well... it sounds like there are more good things said about the Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch # 0.

Does anyone have/use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger ?
    It's a 650 fill, 15* rated bag that they say they've "updated" and I'm curious as to the temp rating...some reviews say it's more like a 30* bag.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

Sorry for double post. The Versalite I suggested is a 10 degree bag. My friend just returned from snow shoeing Mt. Washington and ice climbing. He used a WM Kodiac rated at 0 degrees and he was fine at 7 below. Also, consider that at 0 degrees you may want more of a sleeping pad than what you normally carry in the other 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    Well... it sounds like there are more good things said about the Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch # 0.

Does anyone have/use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger ?
    It's a 650 fill, 15* rated bag that they say they've "updated" and I'm curious as to the temp rating...some reviews say it's more like a 30* bag.
    I recieved a BA Crater 15 for Christmas. Used it last weekend in 45 deg temps and was HOT, without even covering my torso.

[QUOTE= So, what difference would I notice, besides weight and cost, is there between the Snowbunting and the Ibis from FF?[/QUOTE]

The only difference between these two bags is the inside girth. You'll notice in the specs that the Ibis is larger. Temp. ratings are the same. "Try on" a similarly sized bag at your local outfitter to determine which is best for you.

I own two FF bags and love them both--great quality and every item I have ordered from them proves to be more thoughtfully crafted than the description indicates. If I were to order a 0 degree FF bag I would add 4 oz. of overfill.

You can't make a bad choice w/WM either.

I'll plug another for Montbell. I have the #2 SS down hugger. Used it on my thru in 07. Fantastic. Packs well. And the new ones are all 800 fill versus the 775 that my bag is. They wash well and loft up nice.

I've used BA for a good while now and I think their temps are a bit optimistic.

Images

Just to throw another brand in the mix ... And I have far less bag experience than the other posters ... I have a Marmot pinnacle 15 degree bag that sleeps at least to its rating if not better and a Marmot hydrogen 30 degree bag. I have had great results with the pinnacle but haven't used the hydrogen very much yet.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    Since Mountainsmith no longer makes down sleeping bags, I am curious as to who makes the best 0 degree down sleeper? Based on the following criteria 1: weight 2: durability 3: pack-ability (compactness when packed) 4: cost and finally 5: customer satisfaction.

I prefer 0 degrees, but I'm sure there are great 15 degree sleepers too. I'd like to hear about them also.
    Marmot fits the bill for me.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

++ New Posts ++